Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-02-2020, 01:02 AM - 1 Like   #541
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Stephen Fry’s “Heroes” – a follow-up to his “Mythos”, both dealing with myths of Ancient Greece.

11-02-2020, 10:27 AM   #542
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Ben Aaronovitch: Foxglove Summer.
A Wizard who is a constable searches for two missing 11 year old girls. The plot is a bit torturous, but the way Ben writes is addictive. I read one from time to time. They make a pleasant break from coding. Logic does not compute here.
11-02-2020, 12:55 PM   #543
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Canada_Rockies Quote
A Wizard who is a constable searches for two missing 11 year old girls. The plot is a bit torturous, but the way Ben writes is addictive. I read one from time to time. They make a pleasant break from coding. Logic does not compute here.
He writes well, I agree. Given the general theme of his Rivers of London series, his style is humorous, as if he doesn’t want the reader to take things all that seriously.
11-02-2020, 02:23 PM   #544
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

"Night Photography-From Snapshots to Great Shots" by Gabriel Biderman. It has a lot of good ideas.

11-02-2020, 04:08 PM - 1 Like   #545

I'm reading The City of Falling Angels by John Berendt. If you've ever visited Venice, it's an interesting read (so far). He introduces a variety of characters and will eventually (I think) reveal the truth behind the fire at the Fenice opera house.
11-02-2020, 05:40 PM   #546
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

The melody and bridge stuck in my head for decades until I found out the name of this band.
11-02-2020, 05:53 PM   #547
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by feidlera Quote
I'm reading The City of Falling Angels by John Berendt. If you've ever visited Venice, it's an interesting read (so far). He introduces a variety of characters and will eventually (I think) reveal the truth behind the fire at the Fenice opera house.
I found it a good read, too. Venice is one of my favourite European cities. As for ever being confident about the source of the Fenice fire, it is Italy.

11-02-2020, 08:09 PM   #548

QuoteOriginally posted by grog85361 Quote
"Night Photography-From Snapshots to Great Shots" by Gabriel Biderman. It has a lot of good ideas.
I’ll definitely check that one out!
11-06-2020, 08:08 PM   #549
dbs
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
Turner

1775 - 1785
11-06-2020, 08:12 PM   #550
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

“Eisenstadt: Germany”. This book was the result of his return to Germany for the first time, since he left for the USA in 1932.

You may recall the glowering photo he took of Josef Goebbels, using his Ermanox camera: one of the great reportage photos of the era.
11-07-2020, 09:28 PM   #551
dbs
Pentaxian

Mathew Reilly .. Temple
11-08-2020, 12:38 PM   #552
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Canada_Rockies Quote
I've read most oh his books, as you say, they are addictive
11-08-2020, 02:14 PM   #553
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by dbs Quote
Mathew Reilly .. Temple
How are you finding this book so far?

I read this years back and I waffle a bit on how I felt about Reilly and his non-stop action events. I felt like I barely had time to breath and enjoy the story because I was bombarded with one action scene on top of another. For me the action became the leading character, the human element secondary.
11-08-2020, 08:12 PM   #554
dbs
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by kevinWE Quote
How are you finding this book so far?

I read this years back and I waffle a bit on how I felt about Reilly and his non-stop action events. I felt like I barely had time to breath and enjoy the story because I was bombarded with one action scene on top of another. For me the action became the leading character, the human element secondary.
Hi Kevin

Mathews style is rather 'full on '.
I am just starting to re - read it after a 10 yr break.
Some of his books Hollywood has acquired the rites too. If Hollywood is up to its usual standard i'de rather read the book.

Dave
11-12-2020, 09:06 PM - 1 Like   #555
Pentaxian

I'm rereading my copy of Edmund Burke's book, Reflections on the Revolution in France .

Wonderful book, and Burke was a man ahead of his time. His book although written over 200 years ago is something we could learn a lot about the present state of the world.

I bought this book in 1970, as part of the recommended reading list, back in my university days . I noticed the price. $ 1.75 CAD