Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Liney Quote
It was also turned into an animated film which is pleasantly entertaining
I intend to watch that

12-01-2020, 06:49 AM - 2 Likes   #617
Total n00b Pentaxian
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by sasastro Quote
Currently reading a YA book, Howl's Moving Castle by Diana Wynne Jones. perfect escapism
It's an excellent book. I would like to re-read it again, but I'm not sure where my copy is currently.

QuoteOriginally posted by Liney Quote
It was also turned into an animated film which is pleasantly entertaining
While all books turned into films are different from the book, this one is practically a completely different story. It's also one of my favorite Miyazaki films.

QuoteOriginally posted by sasastro Quote
I intend to watch that
You won't be disappointed. It gets fairly regular watching in the house here, as do most Studio Ghibli films.
12-01-2020, 08:14 AM - 1 Like   #618
PEG Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: Highlands of Scotland... "Hold Infinity in the palm of your hand" - William Blake
Photos: Gallery
A Photography Book

I recently acquired an author self published and signed copy of... "Landscape Photography, On Location with Thomas Heaton".

The text on the left page is related to landscape image on the opposite page. It provides both an insight and some of the activities undertaken in the formulation of each image.

The back few pages provides QR code links, directing you to the relevant YouTube video.

ISBN978-1-56272-6004-7 available direct from authors website Thomas Heaton Photography – Landscape, Travel & Outdoor Photography

Well worth getting IMHO, if you're at all interested in landscape photography.
12-02-2020, 09:36 PM   #619
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Finished reading Herbert's first three "Dune" works (not sure when I'll start the fourth, just now), then went on to read Jeff Vandermeer's trilogy, made into a film with the same title as the first book, "Annihilation", published 2014. A unique perspective, in my experience, dealing with "life" originating elsewhere.

Now starting "The Battle For The Falklands", Max Hastings and Simon Jenkins, 1983.

12-03-2020, 04:39 PM   #620
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Nakedgun Quote
Now starting "The Battle For The Falklands", Max Hastings and Simon Jenkins, 1983.
Yeah, I talked about that one in this thread. Very good read, especially (largely) Jenkins' insights into the Argentine and UK governments, and Hastings' account of being embedded with the British Army during the retake.
12-04-2020, 04:16 AM - 1 Like   #621
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by clackers Quote
'Mort' is my favourite of the ones I read.
QuoteOriginally posted by RobA_Oz Quote
I daresay I’ll get to that, in time. I’m forming the impression that Pratchett was satirising a lot of our society in the guise of fantasy.
I did get to it, fairly quickly. I can see why it was a favourite of yours. Anyway, it’s satisfied my craving for light relief for the moment, at least the Pratchett variety. Back to ‘Dominion’ and serious stuff now.
12-04-2020, 08:16 AM   #622
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Kerrowdown Quote
Well worth getting IMHO, if you're at all interested in landscape photography.
I have watched many of his YouTube episodes, he does great work and explains his methods very well.

12-07-2020, 03:30 PM - 1 Like   #623
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by clackers Quote
Yeah, I talked about that one in this thread. Very good read, especially (largely) Jenkins' insights into the Argentine and UK governments, and Hastings' account of being embedded with the British Army during the retake.

Just completed, and it is as you've said. My understanding of the event much enhanced.

Now starting "Crusaders, The Epic History of the Wars for the Holy Lands", by Dan Jones, 2019, 371 pages.
12-07-2020, 05:04 PM - 1 Like   #624
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Reading "Tanks in the City", a short but incisive analysis of armored warfare in urban environments.

QuoteOriginally posted by Nakedgun Quote
"Crusaders, The Epic History of the Wars for the Holy Lands", by Dan Jones
I've read several of his outstanding histories, most recently "Templars". Reading well researched and well written history provides me more amazing worlds populated by memorable characters facing greater trials than any fiction writer can devise.
12-07-2020, 06:19 PM - 1 Like   #625
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Recently picked this up:
Attached Images

12-07-2020, 07:07 PM   #626
Pentaxian

Original Poster
Georgia O'Keeffe and New Mexico: A Sense of Place: Barbara Buhler Lynes, Lesley Poling-Kempes, Frederick W. Turner: 0884517803626: amazon.com: Books?tag=pentaxforums-20&
This book much better
Try if you have choice
12-07-2020, 10:04 PM   #627

The Story Of Civilization - Will & Ariel Durant.
Finished ! 11 volumes, just short of 10,000 pages, and 3 million words.
Bucket list item checked off !
12-07-2020, 10:14 PM   #628
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

In what way is it much better? The Guzman book contains a lot of text, much drawn from her journals and contemporary writing. I’m guessing you mean the other has more of her works.
12-07-2020, 11:55 PM   #629
Pentaxian

Original Poster
Yes and more her spiritual relation with New Mexico
Creation Ghost Ranch
I read both book and frequently was in her museum in Santa Fe
Just my opinion
12-08-2020, 09:55 AM   #630
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by didar56 Quote
The Story Of Civilization - Will & Ariel Durant.
Finished ! 11 volumes, just short of 10,000 pages, and 3 million words.
Bucket list item checked off !
Wow! That's a true feat. I have the volume on the Reformation, I want to crack it open but I keep telling myself no more big books till I finish Plutarch.