Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-04-2021, 04:07 PM   #691
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by EnglishBob Quote
Life
by Keith Richards

Good book...I enjoyed it!

as for me....I'm currently working my way thru Jacques Pepin, "Quick & Simple" ....

01-05-2021, 09:47 AM   #692
Pentaxian

The Greenwich Village Trilogy - Anderson - Kurland - Waters :

The Butterfly Kid
The Unicorn Girl
The Probability Pad
01-05-2021, 04:12 PM   #693
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
It was a quick read but I just finished Shade by Pete Souza. Pretty entertaining book and all the nice pictures help too. Now I have a Fundamental Accounting Principles textbook on my desk now.
01-05-2021, 08:10 PM - 4 Likes   #694
Veteran Member

I've just started "Passchendaele" by Lyn Macdonald. It tells the story of the third battle of Ypres in 1917, and I have a family connection with that battle it should be interesting reading

01-05-2021, 10:09 PM - 2 Likes   #695
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Liney Quote
I've just started "Passchendaele" by Lyn Macdonald. It tells the story of the third battle of Ypres in 1917, and I have a family connection with that battle it should be interesting reading
My Grandfather was at Passchendaele and received a George Medal for bravery. He was a sergeant in the Canadian Army during WW1.
01-06-2021, 09:00 AM   #696
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
A bit of a stretch by Chris Atkins.

A middle aged,educated man’s experiences in the British prison system,fascinating and disturbing.
01-08-2021, 01:11 AM - 2 Likes   #697
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by lesmore49 Quote
My Grandfather was at Passchendaele and received a George Medal for bravery. He was a sergeant in the Canadian Army during WW1.
My Grandfather is still there, somewhere. His name is on the wall at Tyne Cot cemetary, one of the many thousands who have no known grave

01-08-2021, 02:50 AM - 2 Likes   #698
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Liney Quote
My Grandfather is still there, somewhere. His name is on the wall at Tyne Cot cemetary, one of the many thousands who have no known grave
I'm sorry for your loss. It was a terrible battle, in a terrible war.
01-09-2021, 04:53 AM   #699
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I don't read much new fiction, but on the basis of a review, I purchased the Kindle version of "The Liar's Dictionary" by Eley Williams.
01-31-2021, 08:38 AM   #700
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Just started The Mirror and The Light,last part of Hilary Mantel's Wolf Hall trilogy.Nearly 900 pages in hard back,a weighty tome in every respect.It could take some time!
01-31-2021, 12:23 PM   #701
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I recently purchased several volumes each of Aperture's
History of Photography and Masters of Photography series.

Chris
01-31-2021, 08:46 PM - 1 Like   #702
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
I'm sorry for your loss. It was a terrible battle, in a terrible war.
I think Haig's performance was actually worse than his at The Somme.

At The Somme you could say he was attempting a big offensive for the first time.

That wasn't true in 1917.

He kept on going when there were no signs the Germans were going to retreat.
01-31-2021, 09:37 PM - 1 Like   #703
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by clackers Quote
I think Haig's performance was actually worse than his at The Somme.

At The Somme you could say he was attempting a big offensive for the first time.

That wasn't true in 1917.

He kept on going when there were no signs the Germans were going to retreat.
Haig. A controversial figure and with good reason.

Currently I'm reading a book by Margaret MacMillan , entitled .....War: How Conflict Shaped Us.

It looks at some interesting ideas and I quote from the book.

"Does war... organized violence....come with organized society. War has shaped humanity's history, it's social and political institutions, its values and ideas."

I dunno, but so far it makes good writing and more importantly makes me think.

I have read (and keep for reference) other of her works, including Paris 1919 (Treaty of Versailles and it's effect, etc.), also The Uses and Abuses of History.....which in this modern world of ours, is too common an offence, at least in my view.
01-31-2021, 09:54 PM   #704
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Haig. A controversial figure and with good reason.

Currently I'm reading a book by Margaret MacMillan , entitled .....War: How Conflict Shaped Us.

It looks at some interesting ideas and I quote from the book.

"Does war... organized violence....come with organized society. War has shaped humanity's history, it's social and political institutions, its values and ideas."

I dunno, but so far it makes good writing and more importantly makes me think.

I have read (and keep for reference) other of her works, including Paris 1919 (Treaty of Versailles and it's effect, etc.), also The Uses and Abuses of History.....which in this modern world of ours, is too common an offence, at least in my view.
Lloyd George didn't like Haig. He put the British Army indirectly under the command of Ferdinand Foch in 1918.

He would have liked to have directly replaced Haig with Henry Plumer, or even the Canadian Arthur Currie or the Australian John Monash, but he never had the political clout.
01-31-2021, 10:01 PM - 1 Like   #705
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by clackers Quote
Lloyd George didn't like Haig. He put the British Army indirectly under the command of Ferdinand Foch in 1918.

He would have liked to have directly replaced Haig with Henry Plumer, or even the Canadian Arthur Currie or the Australian John Monash, but he never had the political clout.
Lloyd George was the great GF or grandfather of the author of the books I just mentioned, Margert MacMillan I believe. She has her PhD from Oxford, taught at Canadian universities , Provost of Trinity College, etc.