Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-20-2021, 09:37 PM   #721
Pentaxian

Last 8 days have read The Sentinel, a Jack Reacher adventure by Lee and Andrew Child (brothers), Daylight by David Baldacci and Dark Sky by C.J. Box. All great books, American adventure mysteries I would call them. They are from public libraries, so I have limited time with them. Highly recommend each author.

I used to read a lot of British mysteries, but the authors I have read in the past are no longer writing. Any ideas of good mystery books from the UK ?

03-21-2021, 08:48 AM - 2 Likes   #722
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
G.K Chesterton was from the UK, how about his Father Brown mysteries?

Not exactly mysteries, but I enjoyed Len Deighton's spy novels in the Game, Set, Match and Hook, Line and Sinker trilogies.

For that matter, it's hard to go wrong with John LeCarre.

Libraries are great places to discover a lot of wonderful older pop fiction works, some of these authors were huge, then fell out of favor and are only remembered by those who read them in their prime.

Donald Westlake's crime comedies link "Bank Shot" or "The Hot Rock" are well done both as capers and as sometimes very funny, with memorable characters.

Tom Clancy's early works are also great , "Red Storm Rising" is a great hypothetical look at WWIII based on Cold War era events and politics.

Last edited by robgski; 03-21-2021 at 08:55 AM.
03-21-2021, 09:55 AM - 1 Like   #723
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by lesmore49 Quote
Last 8 days have read The Sentinel, a Jack Reacher adventure by Lee and Andrew Child (brothers), Daylight by David Baldacci and Dark Sky by C.J. Box. All great books, American adventure mysteries I would call them. They are from public libraries, so I have limited time with them. Highly recommend each author.

I used to read a lot of British mysteries, but the authors I have read in the past are no longer writing. Any ideas of good mystery books from the UK ?
Elly Griffiths is very popular with the users of the library I work for.
03-21-2021, 10:01 AM   #724
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Just received

Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
IPhone X  Photo 
03-21-2021, 01:07 PM   #725
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Fontan Quote
Just received
I'm afraid I am one of the few who cannot stand Gould's playing. I don't worry about the moaning, that's trivial, his playing to me sounds like a machine. For the years I was in Chicago, many friends could not believe that I could tell his playing within a few seconds, blind.

This is probably that getting away from the rubato and such of the romantic interpretations was ear opening and many found it better. For myself, I don't care much for either extreme. There is so much Back interpretation that is elegant, rhythmic, and delightful that I have no need to listen to him.
03-21-2021, 07:44 PM   #726
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Canada_Rockies Quote
I'm afraid I am one of the few who cannot stand Gould's playing. I don't worry about the moaning, that's trivial, his playing to me sounds like a machine. For the years I was in Chicago, many friends could not believe that I could tell his playing within a few seconds, blind.

This is probably that getting away from the rubato and such of the romantic interpretations was ear opening and many found it better. For myself, I don't care much for either extreme. There is so much Back interpretation that is elegant, rhythmic, and delightful that I have no need to listen to him.
You know, I get it.

Growing up, from early on my teacher forbade me to listened to Gould. The problem was that it only made me want to listen to his records more and more. By the time I was in my mid teen Bach had become my favorite, and I did then think that, aside from the machine-like style u r describing, nobody delineated polyphonic voices better than Gould. That being said - he played works of composers as if he hated them, and often made me wonder why he recorded them to begin with. I find his Beethoven simply and utterly unacceptable. He is known for his interpretation of Bach, but how he played modern pieces like those of Shoenberg, Hindemith, and Webern was nothing short of miraculous.

For those of us who play - identifying Gould blindly was very easy, actually. It may well be because we are so aware of his repertoire so well.
03-21-2021, 08:46 PM   #727
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Fontan Quote
You know, I get it.

Growing up, from early on my teacher forbade me to listened to Gould. The problem was that it only made me want to listen to his records more and more. By the time I was in my mid teen Bach had become my favorite, and I did then think that, aside from the machine-like style u r describing, nobody delineated polyphonic voices better than Gould. That being said - he played works of composers as if he hated them, and often made me wonder why he recorded them to begin with. I find his Beethoven simply and utterly unacceptable. He is known for his interpretation of Bach, but how he played modern pieces like those of Shoenberg, Hindemith, and Webern was nothing short of miraculous.

For those of us who play - identifying Gould blindly was very easy, actually. It may well be because we are so aware of his repertoire so well.
I'm not a pianist but do have Grade 7 under my belt. I own and attempt to play well a Johannus Opus 10 two manual and pedal 26 stop organ. I have studied organ since 1965 when I was "volunteered" to play for the RC Chapel in Fort Chambly near Soest, W Germany because I could tell black keys from white. I used Ernst Kaller's Orgelschule during my rest of my German posting.

My teachers have been in order of lessons, three very good woman organists.
Susan Ohannessian, B Mus, UBC,
Suzanne Gibson, Fellow of the Royal Canadian College of Organists, and
Sr. Janice Haustein, Colleague of the American Guild of Organists, in Chicago.

To the best of my knowledge all three ladies despised Glenn Gould.

Albert the opinionated.

03-24-2021, 03:40 PM - 2 Likes   #728
Pentaxian

A Slip Of The Keyboard - Sir Terry Pratchett
03-27-2021, 04:11 AM   #729
Pentaxian

The Club Dumas by Arturo Pérez-Reverte. Over the years its become a comfort book for me.
03-30-2021, 10:19 PM - 2 Likes   #730
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by lesmore49 Quote
Not really a genre of mine, but lots of people seem to like Ian Rankin's stuff, Les!
03-30-2021, 10:50 PM - 2 Likes   #731
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by clackers Quote
Not really a genre of mine, but lots of people seem to like Ian Rankin's stuff, Les!
Thx, Clackers.

Coincidentally I have an Ian Rankin book coming in from the library. I haven't read his stuff for awhile, but I thought I'd give him another try.

Les
04-01-2021, 01:40 AM   #732
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
The Fear Index by Robert Harris.
04-04-2021, 07:01 PM - 1 Like   #733
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Just completed, "The Strange Death of Europe - Immigration, Identity, Islam" by Douglas Murray, 2017, 337 pages.

Quite a compelling narrative of the current situation.
04-04-2021, 10:15 PM   #734
Pentaxian

Reading Pax Romana , a history of the Roman Empire, War, Peace and Conquest in the Roman World, by Adrian Goldsworthy. Enjoying it. I believe that the modern world, owes the Roman Empire quite a bit.
04-04-2021, 10:17 PM - 1 Like   #735
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Nakedgun Quote
Just completed, "The Strange Death of Europe - Immigration, Identity, Islam" by Douglas Murray, 2017, 337 pages.

Quite a compelling narrative of the current situation.
My wife is currently reading a Douglas Murray book. The Madness of Crowds, Gender, Race and Identity. I'm the next on the list to read it, once my wife finishes.