Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 801 Likes Search this Thread
05-05-2021, 05:23 PM   #766
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums

Staff note: This post may contain affiliate links, which means Pentax Forums may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. If you would like to support the forum directly, you may also make a donation here.

Started reading Andy Weir's Hail Mary. My little email friends group picked it as our book club read.

05-05-2021, 06:06 PM   #767

Ian Fleming's "Thunderball"
05-06-2021, 06:23 AM   #768
Veteran Member

currently trying to read this

i wish my work didn't drain my brain so much. I really want to read more, but by the time my work ends, i'm just exhausted to read. So though i'm loving this read, i'm not able to read it as much as i should
05-06-2021, 02:49 PM   #769
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
I’ve just started reading George Orwell’s ‘Down and Out in Paris and London’, a work I thought I’d read years ago, but so far I don’t recognise any of it.

05-07-2021, 06:30 AM   #770
Veteran Member

I should pick up The Great Gadsby. Just saw the movie, and though the movie was aright, the story behind it seemed interesting.
05-09-2021, 03:52 AM   #771
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

The L.L. Bean Outdoor Photography Handbook by Jim and Kate Rowinski

I ordered the 1999 edition of this book as I am a film photographer.
There's a 2007 edition but I presume that's geared towards digital.

Years ago I remember I owned an older edition authored by Lefty Kreh.

I'm surprised few photography books have been mentioned in this thread...

Chris

Last edited by ChrisPlatt; 05-09-2021 at 08:16 AM.
05-09-2021, 02:44 PM   #772
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by ChrisPlatt Quote
[U]I'm surprised few photography books have been mentioned in this thread...

Chris
I guess that shows how wide our interests are, as a group. I had to buy a new bookcase for all the photography books I’ve acquired in the last ten years, but then, most of them are a lot bigger than the others I buy, partly because the others tend to be softcovers and the photo books are (mostly bigger, some much bigger) hardcovers.

Last edited by RobA_Oz; 05-09-2021 at 08:55 PM.
05-09-2021, 08:50 PM   #773
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Here's one: "The Art of Photography" by Bruce Barnbaum, 2nd edition (3rd printing May 2019).
Currently, I'm examining the photos and reading the captions (quite a collection), I may or may not read the text later.
05-10-2021, 10:08 AM   #774
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by hadi Quote
I should pick up The Great Gadsby. Just saw the movie, and though the movie was aright, the story behind it seemed interesting.
It's a good book, a good approachable example of modernism from 20th-century writers. I highly recommend Hemingway if you find you like some of the tone/style. He is of course unique and so is F Scott Fitzgerald, but it's interesting to broaden your intake of what are roughly the same era and worldview. Hemingway's short story collections are an excellent investment.
05-11-2021, 06:31 AM   #775
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by AgentL Quote
It's a good book, a good approachable example of modernism from 20th-century writers. I highly recommend Hemingway if you find you like some of the tone/style. He is of course unique and so is F Scott Fitzgerald, but it's interesting to broaden your intake of what are roughly the same era and worldview. Hemingway's short story collections are an excellent investment.
I've read a a few pieces by Hemingway, and thought that they were SUPER easy reads. I was kind of baffled as to how simple they were. Prior to reading Hemingway, I was really put off by the classics written by Dickens. Though GREAT stories, the way it was written made it almost impossible to flip the page. Case in point, I've tried reading Tale of Two Cities on NUMEROUS occasions. Yet, I just cant seem to get past the first 15 pages. Why? Partly because Mr. Dickens would go at GREAT lengths describing the color red, but 4 pages later, refusing to actually call it 'red' and anything other than that. I mean, I am paraphrasing here, but humor me a bit. Would you rather:

"the scarf you were wearing was red"

or

"imagine you are walking down a cold winter patch of land that is covered in soot, dirt, water, and all horrid things imaginable. The smell above is vile. You were wearing a gray jacket, and a black hat. Because its so windy, you try to protect yourself with a scarf. Now, the color of the scar is rather interesting as its a very unique color. To describe the color, imagine if, on a sunny day you are reading a paper, New York Times, and the wind catches the edge of the news paper, and neatly slices the tip of your finger via a paper cut. You stare at it, and ponder, what would come out of it? Has it pierced the skin? You play with it, and eventually you feel a warm gush of liquid oozing from your skin. That color...yeah, that is not the color of your scarf. It is, but only darker. Howe much darker? Lets look at a plum fruit. Its pretty dark, right?....."

*sigh....

one day, i will be brave enough to read through it.

but i'm glad to hear that F Scott Fitzgerald's work is closely similar to Hemingway rather than Dickens

(mind you, i dont mind Shakespeare one bit. Dickens, I just cant seem to get around. Though my library does look more impressive as his books are very picturesque to look at)
05-11-2021, 08:55 AM - 1 Like   #776
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by hadi Quote
I've read a a few pieces by Hemingway, and thought that they were SUPER easy reads. I was kind of baffled as to how simple they were. Prior to reading Hemingway, I was really put off by the classics written by Dickens. Though GREAT stories, the way it was written made it almost impossible to flip the page. Case in point, I've tried reading Tale of Two Cities on NUMEROUS occasions. Yet, I just cant seem to get past the first 15 pages. Why? Partly because Mr. Dickens would go at GREAT lengths describing the color red, but 4 pages later, refusing to actually call it 'red' and anything other than that. I mean, I am paraphrasing here, but humor me a bit. Would you rather:

"the scarf you were wearing was red"

or

"imagine you are walking down a cold winter patch of land that is covered in soot, dirt, water, and all horrid things imaginable. The smell above is vile. You were wearing a gray jacket, and a black hat. Because its so windy, you try to protect yourself with a scarf. Now, the color of the scar is rather interesting as its a very unique color. To describe the color, imagine if, on a sunny day you are reading a paper, New York Times, and the wind catches the edge of the news paper, and neatly slices the tip of your finger via a paper cut. You stare at it, and ponder, what would come out of it? Has it pierced the skin? You play with it, and eventually you feel a warm gush of liquid oozing from your skin. That color...yeah, that is not the color of your scarf. It is, but only darker. Howe much darker? Lets look at a plum fruit. Its pretty dark, right?....."

*sigh....

one day, i will be brave enough to read through it.

but i'm glad to hear that F Scott Fitzgerald's work is closely similar to Hemingway rather than Dickens

(mind you, i dont mind Shakespeare one bit. Dickens, I just cant seem to get around. Though my library does look more impressive as his books are very picturesque to look at)
Yeah, Dickens was definitely Victorian, pre-modernist. I could never get into him, his style is just not that enjoyable to me. It's not a reading comprehension level, I'm currently reading Plutarch (though in English). Hahah. But for Victorian authors A. Conan Doyle is my favorite by far, the Sherlock Holmes books are perennial favorites, and many of his other novels, like The White Company and The Exploits of Brigadier Gerard, not to mention his The Lost World books, are fantastic. The Victorian era was the high point of adventure fiction for sure.

Modernist authors were part of a general movement into what I would call a perfecting of mechanics, they were very self-aware when it came to the way they wrote, they were often disillusioned with some of the happenings of the world and shedding "old ways" and scrutinizing Humanism in a more rational way. Some find it tiresome or bleak, and sometimes a bit self-obsessed. I can find it that way some of the time, and can't read modernist literature nonstop without a break for something more agreeable. Hemingway needs to be appreciated almost like poetry, his "simple" style is a study in turning brevity into its own art form.
05-11-2021, 03:04 PM   #777
Pentaxian

But for Victorian authors A. Conan Doyle is my favorite by far, the Sherlock Holmes books are perennial favorites
I still remember first reading the Sherlock Holmes books when I was in Junior High and I've reread the series a number of times since then. There are very few books that I've read a number of times, but off the top of my head, some of those titles include:

Animal Farm, by G. Orwell, James Herriot's books about his Vet practice and Conan Doyle's Sherlock Holmes books.

As far as TV/movie interpretations of these books....the current (2020- ) British TV production of Herriot's books and the Jeremy Brett....Sherlock Holmes have been the best.
05-11-2021, 05:30 PM - 1 Like   #778
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by lesmore49 Quote
I still remember first reading the Sherlock Holmes books when I was in Junior High and I've reread the series a number of times since then. There are very few books that I've read a number of times, but off the top of my head, some of those titles include:

Animal Farm, by G. Orwell, James Herriot's books about his Vet practice and Conan Doyle's Sherlock Holmes books.

As far as TV/movie interpretations of these books....the current (2020- ) British TV production of Herriot's books and the Jeremy Brett....Sherlock Holmes have been the best.
I just recently finished rereading the whole Sherlock Holmes series for the first time since my mid teens probably... twenty years ago. They hold up! I don't know why I waited so long. I've been poking around in some of the slightly less well-known books from the general era, such as John Muir's naturalist and travel writing (1860's), Joshua Slocum's account of sailing alone around the world (1890's-1900 ish) and a couple more accounts which are on my shelf waiting to be read.
05-11-2021, 06:49 PM - 2 Likes   #779
Pentaxian

I just recently finished rereading the whole Sherlock Holmes series for the first time since my mid teens probably... twenty years ago. They hold up! I don't know why I waited so long. I've been poking around in some of the slightly less well-known books from the general era, such as John Muir's naturalist and travel writing (1860's), Joshua Slocum's account of sailing alone around the world (1890's-1900 ish) and a couple more accounts which are on my shelf waiting to be read.
I do the same. One of the latest books in that vein that I've been reading off and on since October /20 is this book about the Lewis and Clark Expedition. Lot of quotes direct from the journals. I mentioned reading the book since October...right now I probably have about 20 books on the go, at any one time that I'm reading.

https://www.google.ca/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=&cad=rja&uact=8...rIdZ_WiYfxqsLi
05-11-2021, 07:34 PM   #780