Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-27-2021, 03:16 PM - 1 Like   #796
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums

Staff note: This post may contain affiliate links, which means Pentax Forums may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. If you would like to support the forum directly, you may also make a donation here.

QuoteOriginally posted by timb64 Quote
Serenade to the Big Bird by Bert Stiles

A moving and very thoughtful account of the experiences of US bomber crews over Europe in WW2.Had he lived longer there are signs Bert Stiles would have become a great writer,another sad loss to the futility of war.
I'll have to add this one to the list. I just finished The Wild Blue by Stephen E. Ambrose, which documents the B-24 bombers and their (very young) crews over WW2 Germany.

05-27-2021, 05:27 PM - 1 Like   #797
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by lesmore49 Quote
A favourite author, I recall taking out his Jeeves/Wooster books from the library a number of times. I finally broke down and bought myself P.G. Wodehouse's The World of Jeeves.

Also enjoyed the English TV series... it was called Jeeves and Wooster.

My rating on this TV show has to be....'Well done, old boy...well done. '
I must watch some episodes, Les ... in my head, Stephen Fry and Hugh Laurie would be the dream cast anyway!
05-27-2021, 07:04 PM - 1 Like   #798
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by clackers Quote
I must watch some episodes, Les ... in my head, Stephen Fry and Hugh Laurie would be the dream cast anyway!
I think you'll enjoy it. Jeeves is Fry, Wooster, Laurie.

I think Laurie's uncle was John Laurie of Dad's Army.
05-28-2021, 02:19 AM   #799

Andrea Camilleri - Inspector Montabalno Series - "The Snack Thief"

05-28-2021, 02:51 AM - 5 Likes   #800
Digitiser of Film
Loyal Site Supporter

Jordan Peterson's "12 Rules for Life: An Antidote to Chaos" ... I'm rather long in years to be reading something like this, I suppose, but it's an interesting reflection on how I might have avoided some of life's pitfalls in the past, and it's never too late to learn and benefit from new ideas

Opinions on the author seem to be polarised, and I can understand why many don't like him... but a good amount of that is, I think, due to his frankness. He doesn't sugar-coat the ideas he presents and opinions he holds, and that can offend some folks. I don't agree with all he has to say, but he's an intelligent, well-read, passionate, principled and all-round fascinating character... not to mention a capable writer. For me, that makes him worth reading.

Last edited by BigMackCam; 05-28-2021 at 08:14 AM.
05-28-2021, 07:59 AM - 1 Like   #801
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by paulh Quote
I'll have to add this one to the list. I just finished The Wild Blue by Stephen E. Ambrose, which documents the B-24 bombers and their (very young) crews over WW2 Germany.
I haven’t read The Wild Blue Paul and will look it out.

I obviously know Stephen Ambrose from Band of Brothers and I also really enjoyed Pegasus Bridge about one of the opening actions of the D-Day invasion, a crucial operation which limited the Germans the ability to counter attack.
05-30-2021, 01:54 PM   #802
rm2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Longitude by Dava Sobel just arrived to my mailbox. Can't wait to get into it.

05-30-2021, 02:04 PM - 1 Like   #803

QuoteOriginally posted by rm2 Quote
Longitude by Dava Sobel just arrived to my mailbox. Can't wait to get into it.

It’s on my nightstand, about half way through it.
Great read, especially if you’re fond of watches and timekeeping!

05-30-2021, 06:10 PM   #804

Andrea Camilleri - Inspector Montabalno Series - "Excursion to Tindari"
06-01-2021, 10:45 PM - 3 Likes   #805
Digitiser of Film
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Lotos Eaters Quote
I really like Peterson. There are lots of good videos of him on YouTube, too....talks and lectures.
I've watched quite a lot of them, including a few from his own channel. His recent discussion with Stephen Fry - someone else I have a lot of respect for, but who differs with Peterson on a number of points, not least religion - was excellent...
06-10-2021, 04:34 PM   #806
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Yes, its nice to watch individuals who at least make the effort to be free thinkers. Seem to be in the minority right now, though.
I imagine there’s a fair correlation between people who read widely and people who think rationally, and I reckon that’s always been a minority. I’m not sure what the boundaries of “free thinking” are, but irrationality tends to go with thinking in the absence of any rigorous analysis and depth of experience.

I read Jordan Petersen’s “12 Rules”, but it didn’t strike me as particularly original, for all its value as a tutorial for young people, young men in particular.
06-10-2021, 10:57 PM   #807
Digitiser of Film
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by RobA_Oz Quote
I imagine there’s a fair correlation between people who read widely and people who think rationally, and I reckon that’s always been a minority. I’m not sure what the boundaries of “free thinking” are, but irrationality tends to go with thinking in the absence of any rigorous analysis and depth of experience.

I read Jordan Petersen’s “12 Rules”, but it didn’t strike me as particularly original, for all its value as a tutorial for young people, young men in particular.
It might not be original, though I don't know what book written at this time would be, but it did strike a chord with me. Of course, I'm young....not a male but still young so I guess I fit the target audience. Being surrounded by a 'we must all think alike' mentality is nothing new, I'm sure, but I can only exist in and react to my own time and my own world. I enjoy reading anyone who expresses their own ideas well, without fear of upsetting the popular opinion. I'm still branching out with my own education and so far Thomas Paine has been my favorite because he seemed to be so right across every page but Ive found alot to think about in Orwell and Peterson and even Chomsky and others. I just keep reading and reading and try to think as deeply as I can about each topic.
Peterson's pretty forthcoming about his influences - Fyodor Dostoevsky, Carl Jung, Friedrich Nietzsche, George Orwell, Jean Piaget, Aleksandr Solzhenitsyn, etc. Of those I'm at least partially familiar with, I definitely recognise some of their ideas in his written and spoken material. Whatever building blocks he's incorporated, though, he's developed his understanding and beliefs with both exhaustive research and extensive clinical practice.

What I particularly like and respect is that he seems not just willing but eager to continually modify his understanding through the input and argument of other modern thinkers at all levels; that, plus - of course - his frankness and courage in voicing uncomfortable and sometimes contentious views at a time when so-called "cancel culture" discourages divergence from the popular narrative (though he might benefit from a tad more diplomacy on occasion ).

I'll say again, I don't agree with him on a number of matters... but I believe he's setting a great example (especially for younger folks) and I think there's value in his writing, if only to make the reader consider and challenge his or her own ideas.

Last edited by BigMackCam; 06-10-2021 at 11:46 PM.
06-11-2021, 01:28 AM - 2 Likes   #808
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by BigMackCam Quote
Jordan Peterson's "12 Rules for Life: An Antidote to Chaos" ... I'm rather long in years to be reading something like this, I suppose, but it's an interesting reflection on how I might have avoided some of life's pitfalls in the past, and it's never too late to learn and benefit from new ideas

Opinions on the author seem to be polarised, and I can understand why many don't like him... but a good amount of that is, I think, due to his frankness. He doesn't sugar-coat the ideas he presents and opinions he holds, and that can offend some folks. I don't agree with all he has to say, but he's an intelligent, well-read, passionate, principled and all-round fascinating character... not to mention a capable writer. For me, that makes him worth reading.

I've been meaning to read something by him so I'll trust your recommendation. I suspect I'm likely to disagree with him about various things, but then I'm a firm believer that the only way to test out whether my own ideas are any good or not is to consider other well-reasoned positions.

In the meantime I'm re-reading the Meditations of Marcus Aurelius, to remind myself that just getting angry with those who I think are wrong doesn't get any of us anywhere useful.
06-11-2021, 05:20 AM   #809
Pentaxian

Hitler Was My Friend by Heinrich Hoffman. Im sick at the moment and when I'm sick I go straight for the light-weight, gossipy books. Just a nice, comforting read without having to delve into serious history. And I always enjoy photographs from this period of history
06-15-2021, 09:08 AM   #810

Andrea Camilleri - Inspector Montalbano series - "The Coon on the Halcyon" published in Italy 2019 the year of the author's death. Camilleri had written a conclusion to the series in 2006 (or 2008 don't recall) left with his lawyers to be released after his death. The English translation is to be released later this year.

Halcyon was adapted from a joint Italian-American movie project screenplay that fell through. The film was to be a James Bondish action-thriller and not a Montalbano project. This explains much of the depature from the "Montalbano" world.