Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 801 Likes Search this Thread
04-22-2022, 07:25 PM   #1111
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Just completed: "No Way Out, The Untold Story Of The B-24 'Lady Be Good' And Her Crews" by Steven R. Whitby, 2020, 256 pages.

Originally discovered from the air by BP explorers deep in the Libyan desert 15 years after the Liberator crashed there, this book covers all the activity surrounding the efforts to bring the missing crew home. Alas, the ship met a different fate. Many never-before published photos included.

04-24-2022, 08:57 PM   #1112
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Just completed: "The Electric State" by Simon Stalenhag, 2017.

A narrative artbook, a graphic novel, whatever you may call it, the images and story are mesmerizing. This is my first exposure to his work.

04-25-2022, 01:54 PM - 2 Likes   #1113
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

RIP Jim Shaughnessy

For my birthday last week my daughter gave me a copy of
Jim Shaughnessy - Essential Witness - Sixty Years of Railroad Photography,
the companion volume to The Call of Trains - Railroad Photography of Jim Shaughnessy.

It's a gorgeously-printed coffee table book of full of excellent images of a bygone era.

https://railphoto-art.org/collections/shaughnessy/

Chris
04-27-2022, 08:26 PM   #1114
Pentaxian

Grimscribe by Thomas Ligotti

04-28-2022, 12:44 AM   #1115
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
I’m halfway through one of my birthday present reading pile: “In Putin’s Footsteps”. Given contemporary matters, it’s an illuminating read, written as it is by a Russian living in the USA and an American living in Russia.
05-04-2022, 04:43 PM - 1 Like   #1116
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Just completed: "The Horologicon, A Day's Jaunt Through the Lost Words of the English Language" by Mark Forsyth, 2012, 258 pages.

Like his "Etymologicon" which I read back in October '21, this was an enjoyable bit of time travel, but I suspect it'll be a spell before I take up his "Eloquence" piece as I have several piles of books stacked around my reading chair, just now.

05-04-2022, 09:37 PM   #1117
Pentaxian

The Amur River by Colin Thubron, a fascinating description of a journey along the river separating Far Eastern Russia from China, worryingly one of the longest disputed border regions in the world and a possible future flashpoint.

05-04-2022, 09:39 PM   #1118
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Just completed: "Tales From The Loop" by Simon Stalenhag, 2015, 125 pages.

The first of his published, I believe, and the second I've now read, I'm eager to experience his two more recently published, stacked on my floor.

05-05-2022, 03:12 AM   #1119
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

A bout of home isolation due to COVID-19 has given me a chance to get on with my reading of William Dalrymple’s ‘Return of a King’, which details at length the First Afghan War, when the East India Company undertook an earlier, ill-advised exercise in regime change and nation-building than the more recent equally ill-advised counterpart. The assumptions, arrogance and sheer waste of blood and treasure bear striking similarities, in spite of the intervening nearly two centuries between them.

“Those who cannot remember the past are condemned to repeat it.” – George Santayana, 1905
05-05-2022, 06:19 PM - 1 Like   #1120
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by ChrisPlatt Quote
For my birthday last week my daughter gave me a copy ofJim Shaughnessy - Essential Witness - Sixty Years of Railroad Photography,the companion volume to The Call of Trains - Railroad Photography of Jim Shaughnessy.It's a gorgeously-printed coffee table book of full of excellent images of a bygone era.Jim Shaughnessy Collection – Center for Railroad Photography & Art
Great link -- you can see the exhibition they have going of Shaunessy there on the website. Wonderful shots! Made me pull out and revisit the David Plowden train book I have ...
05-06-2022, 07:48 PM   #1121
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Just completed: "Things From The Flood" by Simon Stalenhag, 2020, 129 pages.

A continuation, of sorts, of "Tales From The Loop" the dystopian Swedish environment seen through a, now adolescent, boy's eyes.

05-07-2022, 06:32 PM - 1 Like   #1122
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Just completed: "The Labyrinth" by Simon Stalenhag, 2020, 150 pages.

Obviously intrigued by this artist/author, I could not wait to finish his published work. Fascinating.

05-08-2022, 06:33 PM - 1 Like   #1123
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Just completed: "The Art Of John Harris, Beyond The Horizon" by John Harris, 2014, 160 pages.

Another fantastic artwork book, his images are of vast science fiction dreamscapes. This is my first (known) exposure to his work, where 40 years-worth are presented in this volume.

05-08-2022, 08:16 PM   #1124
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by robgski Quote
Now starting Thomas Sowell’s book “Basic Economics”. The author is such a good storyteller and teacher, he can make any subject more interesting and comprehensible.
I blame my high-school teacher for my Economics degree, he was that way also.

I'm pre-reading a copy of Farilane by Michael J Sullivan. His fantasy world of Elan is well grounded and his characters are really enjoyable. Their conversations are very real, down to earth but not crude or raunchy - and often hilarious. He's a self publisher and he gives advance e-book copies to Kickstart supporters. Everyone else waits until June, I think.

Last edited by jimr-pdx; 05-08-2022 at 08:23 PM.
05-13-2022, 11:33 AM - 1 Like   #1125
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
started to read a classic:

All Quiet on the Western Front
Erich Maria Remarque

QuoteQuote:
Considered by many the greatest war novel of all time, All Quiet on the Western Front is Erich Maria Remarque's masterpiece of the German experience during World War I.
All Quiet on the Western Front - Erich Maria Remarque - Google Books

when I am finished, I will tackle " The Road Back "

QuoteQuote:
The sequel to the masterpiece All Quiet on the Western Front, The Road Back is a classic novel of the slow return of peace to Europe in the years following World War I.