Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-08-2015, 07:49 AM   #1

Alex Cooley R.I.P.

You may not know his name but if you've listened to the deluxe edition of Lynyrd Skynyrd's One More From The Road , you've heard his voice in the intro to Working For MCA recorded at the historic Fox Theater in Atlanta which Alex was instrumental in saving from demolition.
If you've been to a concert in Atlanta it was probably an Alex Cooley show.;
Alex was possibly the greatest American concert promoter of all time. He won a Grammy as a "Hero of Live Music".
His career in the music business started with The Atlanta International Pop Festival which took place a month before Woodstock and arguably had a better line up of talent.Several of his other projects included The Second Atlanta Pop Festival , The Texas International Pop Festival , Atlanta's Music Midtown , The Electric Ballroom , The Roxy , The Agora Ballroom , The Cotton Club and most recently Eddie's Attic.
Alex was a big man with a bigger heart. He was in the business for the experience more than the money. As he once said , " If it was about the money , I'd be rich now". Many artists either directly or indirectly owe their success to Alex. He had a special way of making people (bands , employees and fans) feel comfortable and an uncanny knack for seeing the potential in people.
Alex touched countless lives and will be missed by so many.
I'll always wish I could have been in the trough to shoot "One Last Big Show" for him.
Peace.

Last edited by Floggin Rodger; 12-08-2015 at 12:24 PM.
01-11-2016, 01:54 AM   #2

Original Poster
A Fitting Farewell

Last night Alex (with a little help from his friends) gave Atlanta one last free event. "A Celebration of Alex Cooley" was a memorial concert at The Tabernacle.
The Indigo Girls , Kristain Busch , Michelle Malone , Blackberry Smoke , Rick Richards and Drivin' N Cryin' all took the stage to honor the man who brought live music to Georgia. Much credit and thanks are also due to Peter Conlon of Live Nation and Andrew Hingley of Eddie's Attic for putting this together.

Sorry , I won't be sharing any pics but will leave off with this.

Last edited by Floggin Rodger; 01-11-2016 at 10:57 PM.