Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-16-2015, 01:32 PM   #1
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Windows 10 experts needed !! Edit: Resolved !

This could be a futile exercise ... no one likes Windows 10, including myself but I have no choice now:
I receive quite a present for my B.D.: a brand new laptop with Windows 10 installed!
Seems to work OK, a bit confusing at first, but I think I will eventually manage.

The problem:

When I go to the Control Panel: I want to check the devices\printers ...as follows:

Control Panel > Hardware and Sound > View Devices and Printers

Once I get there, it takes up to 2 minutes for the little green bar to reach the end and finally shows the installed printer(s).
On my old Vista laptop it took less than 2 seconds!

I have browsed the Web to no end for the past 2 days and I came across a few tips but to no avail. Those tips dealt mostly with the Page File and Virtual memory assignment "initial and maximum", etc ...

Before I send this back to the retailer and request a backward flip to Win 7, I would like to know if anyone here can offer some help.

Thanks for any information/help/suggestion.

JP

Last edited by jpzk; 12-16-2015 at 04:32 PM.
12-16-2015, 01:34 PM   #2
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by jpzk Quote
no one likes Windows 10
I prefer it over Windows 8
Once I get there, it takes up to 2 minutes for the little green bar to reach the end and finally shows the installed printer(s).
On my old Vista laptop it took less than 2 seconds!
Try it again, it might be faster now. Slow network. I find different times it does different speeds. ?
12-16-2015, 01:42 PM   #3
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Every now and then my box slows down. My solution is to shut off the modem and restart it, then restart Windoze.
12-16-2015, 01:46 PM   #4
Pentaxian

Is the performnce of the little green bar dependent on network settings - ie is it faster if the laptop is aware that it isn't connected to a network?

While we are on the subject of Windows 10, does anyone know how to force a Windows update to complete or refresh on W10?

On my mother's PC, W10 has had a big update stuck at 30% completion for a few weeks, and it seems to be causing all sorts of havoc (slowdowns, taskbar icons have disappeared etc). I can't figure out a way to force a hung update refresh on W10.

12-16-2015, 01:49 PM   #5
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by rawr Quote
While we are on the subject of Windows 10, does anyone know how to force a Windows update to complete or refresh on W10?

On my mother's PC, W10 has had a big update stuck at 30% completion for a few weeks, and it seems to be causing all sorts of havoc (slowdowns, taskbar icons have disappeared etc). I can't figure out a way to force a hung update refresh on W10.
I've got a solution: Install Linux
Is this your problem: http://www.thewindowsclub.com/windows-10-upgrade-hangs
Or this: http://www.thewindowsclub.com/windows-update-stuck-downloading-updates
12-16-2015, 02:57 PM   #6
Pentaxian

I doubt the vendor will install 7 on it. Most likely 8.1, will be the best they can do unless they have some unused 7 licenses lying around, which is not likely.

Out of curiosity, have you tried the following:

Disconnect all printers, including any that are WiFi orBT enabled?
Looked in Device manager for any drivers with issues, usually marked with a ! in front?
12-16-2015, 03:56 PM   #7
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Don't have your problem, Jpzk, I can suggest you do an experiment.

Uninstall all 'real' printers.

That sets your default to a virtual printer (OneNote, PDF, XPS driver or similar) and lets you see if suddenly it's back to normal.

If so, one of your printers may have a corrupt or incompatible driver.
12-16-2015, 04:09 PM   #8
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by bertwert Quote
I prefer it over Windows 8

Try it again, it might be faster now. Slow network. I find different times it does different speeds. ?
Thanks.
It sure did not get any faster after a few more tries, thinking that W10 could, for some reason, be smart enough to index the device catalogue .... NOT !
Nothing to do with network thou .... that, I am sure of.

Cheers!

---------- Post added 12-16-15 at 06:11 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by rawr Quote
Is the performnce of the little green bar dependent on network settings - ie is it faster if the laptop is aware that it isn't connected to a network?
Checked that .... nope! No go .... same slow speed to "populate" the Devices and Printers.

---------- Post added 12-16-15 at 06:18 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by Tom S. Quote
I doubt the vendor will install 7 on it. Most likely 8.1, will be the best they can do unless they have some unused 7 licenses lying around, which is not likely.

Out of curiosity, have you tried the following:

Disconnect all printers, including any that are WiFi orBT enabled?
Looked in Device manager for any drivers with issues, usually marked with a ! in front?
That is exactly what came to my mind (after reading your post): perhaps it is looking for unrelated devices, i.e.: those which could have been installed in error (God knows why).
So, after much head banging, I went back to the Ctrl Panel .... all the way to View Devices and Printers .... and saw that 4 other "unknown" devices were installed there !!
There were no other glitches to be seen, including possible drivers issues.

Of course, it took 2m 15s to "populate" but I got there, I deleted the unwanted devices:

Results: Bang!! Now it opens in a flash!

Thanks for the hints which sure made my brain work "overclocked".

Cheers!

---------- Post added 12-16-15 at 06:21 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by clackers Quote
Don't have your problem, Jpzk, I can suggest you do an experiment.

Uninstall all 'real' printers.

That sets your default to a virtual printer (OneNote, PDF, XPS driver or similar) and lets you see if suddenly it's back to normal.

If so, one of your printers may have a corrupt or incompatible driver.
Yes sir !!
You too were in the right direction regarding possible issues with ("devices") printers which had no right to be there !
As I mentioned in the previous post, it has now been corrected simply by removing all the "junk" that just did not belong there.
I wonder how they got there in the first place: faxes, unknown printers, and a Print to PDF (or something like that) thing.
Thanks for the suggestions.
Cheers!

JP

12-16-2015, 04:41 PM   #9
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Great fix. Now I have to get a creative input. My laptop has an ethernet port and of course wifi. The ethernet is connected. W10 will not go to the internet over the ethernet connection, which is plugged into the same modem that provides the wifi. HELP!

Last Wednesday (cannot have anything to do with Tuesday updates, of course) the updates "forgot" to enable DHCP on the wifi. So now I have to use the wifi to connect to the internet. Plug in the ethernet cable before or after rebooting and no internet.
12-16-2015, 06:06 PM   #10
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Canada_Rockies Quote
Last Wednesday (cannot have anything to do with Tuesday updates, of course).

Well, it's possible, but they didn't knock out my Ethernet port or millions of others. You could do a system restore if you felt that was the case.

The general strategy would be to download the very latest driver for your LAN NIC, remove the device (ticking the box to remove driver files), and install the new driver, rebooting.

If it still doesn't work, it's something else with your particular configuration. If you're not the diagnosing type, taking it into a shop is probably fastest. :-)
12-16-2015, 07:08 PM   #11
osv
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Canada_Rockies Quote
Great fix. Now I have to get a creative input. My laptop has an ethernet port and of course wifi. The ethernet is connected. W10 will not go to the internet over the ethernet connection, which is plugged into the same modem that provides the wifi. HELP!
you could try temporarily disabling the wifi on the laptop, then try to get the internet over ethernet issue figured out.

if it starts working, then you can troubleshoot the problem as a wifi/ethernet conflict.

win10 has a devices tab: Windows 10 Settings menu: The Devices tab - CNET

but all windows computers also have device manager, which tells you if things are disabled and such: 7 Ways to Access Device Manager in Windows 10
12-16-2015, 09:18 PM   #12
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by osv Quote
all windows computers also have device manager, which tells you if things are disabled and such: 7 Ways to Access Device Manager in Windows 10
True enough, but this is the second update to cause problems. Last week's update disabled DHCP. It was working fine Tuesday, no internet Wednesday. I think the problem is actually the ASUS P550L laptop I bought in a panic to finish a job after a 13 year old ThinkPad gave up. The ASUS was the only machine within 180 km I could drive out, grab and bring back losing only one work day. I needed 64 bit Win 7 Pro minimum. When the client is down ...
12-17-2015, 03:21 AM - 1 Like   #13
Pentaxian

JP. glad you're good to go. I'm living proof that even a blind pig finds a truffle once in a while.
12-19-2015, 07:32 PM   #14
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Tom S. Quote
JP. glad you're good to go. I'm living proof that even a blind pig finds a truffle once in a while.
I still don't like the interface of this Win10 .... I find myself all over the places even for the simplest tasks.
12-19-2015, 08:32 PM   #15
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I still don't like the interface of this Win10 .... I find myself all over the places even for the simplest tasks.
It`s growing on me, slowly. It`s almost like my Android phone.

Last edited by Ex Finn.; 12-19-2015 at 08:37 PM.