Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 8 Likes Search this Thread
12-22-2015, 09:40 PM   #31
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Murfy Quote
The very reason I didn't like the 3 movies with jar jar binks and whatever is because I felt it lost that campy feel.
Jar Jar was, um, pretty camp!

"Not that there's anything wrong with that!"

12-22-2015, 10:18 PM   #32
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Rupert Quote
You are not alone...I've never seen a one and have no interest in any of them, personally. On the other hand I have seen The Good Bad and Ugly at least 50 times.

Regards!
Glad I'm not alone.

I've seen every Dirty Harry, I don't know how many times. Have the deluxe DVD set for the series...also like '40's and '50's Film Noire movies.

Two of my all time favourite movies are Bullit and North by Northwest.

Les
12-23-2015, 05:27 AM   #33
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Murfy Quote
I like both movies, but I do believe star wars was marketed to kids
Star Wars, if I recall one of the making-of documentaries that were almost as popular as the films, was a homage to all the Flash Gordon and Buck Rogers-type Saturday Afternoon matinees of the silver-screen era. So by no means was it ever supposed to be in the same league as 2001, which (as a film, not so much as a novel) was an exercise in minimalist storytelling and deep philosophy from start to finish.* Someone, I think it was Ray Bradbury, said that the first time he saw 2001, he thought Kubrick was mad; after the second viewing, he thought he was a genius, which is an interesting way to look at it. I had already read the novel by the time I saw the film, and I think the novel (which took them all the way out to Saturn) is better.

Also, I have seen the film several times in both North America and Australia, and at NO time, as far as I can hear, does Bowman ever utter the immortal line "My God, it's full of stars!"

Long and the short - you both can and can't write off Star Wars as shallow Saturday Afternoon fluff because THAT WAS ITS DESIGN PURPOSE. Anyone expecting any more from it is kidding themselves. That being said, Episodes IV, V and VI are clearly the three best of the original six; on the other hand, the world-building in I, II, III is delightful (Naboo is what I always imagined the Old Republic should look like), but the stories were full of more holes than the Second Death Star.

* Arthur C Clarke said what he wanted was "A smashing theme of mythic grandeur".
12-23-2015, 05:30 AM   #34
Veteran Member

I went to see the very first one and while the plot was OK, what wowed me were the special effects, which at the time were far above anything ever done before. The sequels were, IMHO so-so. Unless one of my kids wants to go see it, I'll wait for it HBO or Showtime.

12-23-2015, 06:12 AM   #35
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Tom S. Quote
I went to see the very first one and while the plot was OK, what wowed me were the special effects, which at the time were far above anything ever done before. The sequels were, IMHO so-so. Unless one of my kids wants to go see it, I'll wait for it HBO or Showtime.
Worried studio execs saw in London a rough cut without John Dykstra"s complicated SFX, and thought they'd blown their money. Lucas and his editor fell into funks about their awkward film.

The finished product with visual/sound effects and John Williams' score revolutionized cinema (some say for the worse - it was the end of a very interesting decade of movies by American auteurs).
12-23-2015, 08:03 AM - 1 Like   #36
csa
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by condor27596 Quote
Evel knevil was the rage back then.
Spelling is Knievel. I knew him very well, growing up in the same town with him.

Sadly, I've never gotten into the Star Wars saga; but it's never too late!
12-23-2015, 08:13 AM   #37
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I was ten when "Star Wars" came out, and it was the first movie I was allowed to see without my parents (and, since my father was a pastor, we rarely went to movies because my folks didn't approve of most of what Hollywood was putting out). I used up a year's worth of Christmas wheedling to go with my sister's high school friends. It was a big part of my nerdy childhood.

I had misgivings with the Ewoks, but overall I loved the first three. Then came the Special Editions, and Lucas telling us that what we remembered was wrong and his new vision had always been his vision, and it belonged to him and not the fans, and the original versions would never be available again and basically crapping all over my childhood. (D*mn right Han fired first! Han fired ONLY! Greedo never fired!) The prequels were boring eye-candy and just rubbed salt in the wounds with their obvious kid-movie-writing-by-punchcard. (With the sole exception of five minutes in Phantom Menace, you know which ones.) I don't think I even bothered to see Ep.III until I stumbled across it on HBO on a roadtrip.

So when the first Ep.VIII trailer came out, I was hardened. They weren't going to rope me in again. Not even with a John WIlliams' score and evocative images and - holy crap freakin' X-wings!!!!!!!! Ahem, excuse me. Yeah, the ten-year-old me was still there, and still excited.

So I saw "The Force Awakens" in IMAX 3-D last night as a Christmas outing with the guys from work. It was a sold out show, and I hate crowds as much as anyone, but the crowd was very well-behaved. Yes, it's kind of a pastiche of the original three lumped together, hitting a lot of the same notes, but I think it does it pretty well. I enjoyed it, and I was never bored. I might see it again, but not in IMAX - I'm 'way too familiar with Daisy Ridley's pores now (I can tell she had chickenpox as a kid).

12-23-2015, 09:13 AM   #38
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by THoog Quote
I'm 'way too familiar with Daisy Ridley's pores now
And THIS, dear friends, is why you do not ordinarily use a macro lens for detailed portrait work.

With the sole exception of five minutes in Phantom Menace
The best thing they could have done would have been to (a) leave the Gungans out, (b) make Anakin and Padme ten years older than they were. The logical consequence of both those things would have driven a much better storyline from that point on.
12-23-2015, 09:15 AM   #39
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
holy crap freakin' X-wings!!!!!!!!
..and not just T-65 X-wings in the original films but the newer T-70 X-wings...

QuoteOriginally posted by pathdoc Quote
Jar Jar Binks made them look really good
sweet jesus, you did NOT just say that..
12-23-2015, 09:28 AM   #40
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Digitalis Quote
sweet jesus, you did NOT just say that..
Yes, I did - because the Ewoks may have talked in chirrups and burbles but Jar Jar was not only painted as a clumsy idiot but he spoke like a negro stereotype straight out of the early talkies; and while I'm by no means PC, the conjunction of the two got on my nerves. Han Solo looked on occasion like he could barely restrain himself from blasting C3PO, and he eventually warmed to the Ewoks as courageous fighters, but I think Jar Jar would have been tossed out the Falcon's airlock* halfway through the first day.

* At least that's what I think Lando exited through when he rescued Luke on Bespin.
12-23-2015, 09:32 AM   #41
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
I think Jar Jar would have been tossed out the Falcon's airlock* halfway through the first day.
If I owned the Falcon, jar jar binks would have have been stuffed in the concussion missile launchers and shot into the core of the nearest sun.
12-23-2015, 10:56 AM   #42
Pentaxian

stuffed in the concussion missile launchers
Ah, so you've read the original novelisation.
12-23-2015, 01:06 PM - 1 Like   #43
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

If I owned the Falcon, jar jar binks would have have been stuffed in the concussion missile launchers and shot into the core of the nearest sun.
Much hurt I sense. Much anger. Be warned, this path leads to the Dark Side.
12-23-2015, 01:17 PM - 1 Like   #44
Pentaxian

Be warned, this path leads to the Dark Side.
Hey, we're Pentaxians. To the rest of the camera fraternity, we're all there already!
12-23-2015, 01:21 PM - 1 Like   #45
Veteran Member

Much hurt I sense. Much anger. Be warned, this path leads to the Dark Side.
Hey, we're Pentaxians. To the rest of the camera fraternity, we're all there already!