Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-21-2015, 10:02 PM   #16
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Saw it yesterday with the Target members showing. I liked the movie a lot, especially the ending, how magnificent.

12-21-2015, 10:33 PM   #17
Pentaxian

I have never seen any Star Wars movies. My wife and kids have though. They like them.

Maybe I don't know what I'm missing.
12-22-2015, 03:14 AM   #18
Forum Member

I thought it was terrible, almost as bad as the prequels, and it's only better because the actors are better than Hayden Christensen, Jake Lloyd, and Natalie Portman. It was an absolute waste of Gwendolyn Christie. I was afraid the movie would be terrible when I heard JJ Abrams was directing, and I'm sad to say I was right. I hated what he did to Star Trek and now he's done it to Star Wars. At least I didn't get my hopes up. This series gave us 2 1/2 good movies and I think that's all it can bear, especially now that the Mouse can squeeze this cash cow. Oh well, this movie is relegated to Prequel Land, in that it doesn't exist to me. The only way I'd watch it again is if the guys at Rifftrax release a riff for it.
12-22-2015, 04:02 AM   #19

OK, me too ; saw it last night with my 21 year old son. I was surprised to find myself fighting off a powerful wave of emotion when Harrison Ford and Carrie Fisher appeared on screen together. Did that hit anyone else hard as well? Geez, guess we're not getting any younger. In fact, during the entire movie I think I saw more memories of my youth than the actual film before my eyes. Strange, this getting-older business...

12-22-2015, 04:37 AM - 1 Like   #20
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Big special effects, 1940s serial structure, Kurosawa samurai influence, nods to the previous films, lousy "I hate you dad" dialogue ... it had it all! :-)
12-22-2015, 06:35 AM   #21
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by nikigunn Quote
I thought it was terrible, almost as bad as the prequels, and it's only better because the actors are better than Hayden Christensen, Jake Lloyd, and Natalie Portman. It was an absolute waste of Gwendolyn Christie. I was afraid the movie would be terrible when I heard JJ Abrams was directing, and I'm sad to say I was right. I hated what he did to Star Trek and now he's done it to Star Wars. At least I didn't get my hopes up. This series gave us 2 1/2 good movies and I think that's all it can bear, especially now that the Mouse can squeeze this cash cow. Oh well, this movie is relegated to Prequel Land, in that it doesn't exist to me. The only way I'd watch it again is if the guys at Rifftrax release a riff for it.

You're just upset that Mel Brooks didn't make it.

The Mrs. wants to see it next week. Strange to think that our marriage has covered the entire series. We really had to scrimp to see the first one. It came out just three weeks after we purchased out first house and were were beyond flat broke.
12-22-2015, 05:41 PM   #22
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
As bad as the Ewoks were, Jar Jar Binks made them look really good. The original plan, I heard, was to have that battle on the Wookie home planet but it got scotched (later to appear in Ep III).

Speaking of editions they don't show any more, I seem to recall that in the original cinematic release, just after they escape from the Death Star in the Falcon, there is a scene that has been cut or altered. In the original I remember, Luke is mourning Ben - "I just can't believe he's gone." Han tells Luke to move his backside, saying he ain't got time to mope; Leia says "Come on, can't you see what the old man meant to him?" and Han says something that gets Luke moving into the Falcon's gun turret. Now all that happens is that Han tells Luke to get a move on and off he goes.

It has vanished into the same black hole as did the infamous Star Wars Holiday Special.

I love the rest of "Jedi" enough to tolerate the Ewoks. I think some of the enhanced scenes in the original Star Wars are probably worthwhile (e.g. the part where the fighters take off from Yavin on the Death Star mission; that needed doing more justice than the original). The prequels are good where they aren't ruined by Jar Jar or soppy love scenes or Anakin's angsting (yes, he's flawed, but IMO they made him TOO flawed). The one totally and utterly unforgivable thing they did, as far as I am concerned, is to put Hayden Christensen in at the end instead of the mature version of Anakin we saw in the original. The whole point was that Anakin dies an older man, and his ghost becomes that of Jedi Anakin as he would have been at the age of his death, not as he was at the age of his transformation to Vader. He looks even younger than Luke (Hayden Christensen probably was younger than Hamill was in 1983), and that just makes no sense.

Our local cinema did not get the worldwide release - too small. But as soon as it does... I want this more than everything I know I'm getting for Christmas, and I hope it's worth it.

12-22-2015, 05:46 PM   #23
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by pathdoc Quote

Our local cinema did not get the worldwide release - too small. But as soon as it does... I want this more than everything I know I'm getting for Christmas, and I hope it's worth it.
I think you'll like it.

The makers understand what was good about the original - they serve it up plenty. :-)
12-22-2015, 05:59 PM - 1 Like   #24
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I have seen the previous Star Wars, however - I will not be seeing this one.

I have walked away from everything disney when they fired their IT staff down in Florida and made them train their replacements that they brought in from India - at this time last year.

Sorry about the political comment......

12-22-2015, 06:24 PM   #25
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Loyal Site Supporter

Nothing wrong with a product boycott as a form of protest, Interested-observer.

Problem is, it's a slippery slope.

With enough research, you'll find good reason to not purchase any brand! :-)
12-22-2015, 06:24 PM   #26
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by SpecialK Quote
Hand is up. I saw the first one many year ago, whatever that number was. I somehow have no interest.
Agree, I saw the first one when it came out. After 2001 A Space Odyssey, it was just too comic book for me, like Lord of the Rings. OK for kids I suppose, but I could not endure sitting through one of these again. 2001 was different, and I have seen that one over and over.
12-22-2015, 06:39 PM   #27
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by arnold Quote
Agree, I saw the first one when it came out. After 2001 A Space Odyssey, it was just too comic book for me, like Lord of the Rings.
Star Wars *is* a kids' film. There was an essay about Lucas' movies, that all seem, including American Graffitti, to be about defying authority and the troubles of growing up.

Lord of the Rings was written in serial form for the author's son, but he was a very grown up pilot serving overseas in WW2.

Last edited by clackers; 12-22-2015 at 06:50 PM.
12-22-2015, 08:52 PM   #28
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by lesmore49 Quote
I have never seen any Star Wars movies.
You are not alone...I've never seen a one and have no interest in any of them, personally. On the other hand I have seen The Good Bad and Ugly at least 50 times.

Regards!
12-22-2015, 09:00 PM   #29
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Rupert Quote
You are not alone...I've never seen a one and have no interest in any of them, personally. On the other hand I have seen The Good Bad and Ugly at least 50 times.

Regards!
'The Good, the Bad and The Ugly' will be your autobiography's title, surely, Rupert!

You should try to watch the first one.

If you like Westerns there will be familiar elements. Kurosawa (Lucas was a fanboi) loved John Ford's movies.
12-22-2015, 09:07 PM   #30
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by arnold Quote
Agree, I saw the first one when it came out. After 2001 A Space Odyssey, it was just too comic book for me, like Lord of the Rings. OK for kids I suppose, but I could not endure sitting through one of these again. 2001 was different, and I have seen that one over and over.
I like both movies, but I do believe star wars was marketed to kids, my father saw it with me and liked it, but he saw it as comical. We also watched 2001 together, and that was a totally different feel. Star Wars is cheesy, it walked a very close line to being campy (well it crossed it a few times) and I think that is the appeal. The very reason I didn't like the 3 movies with jar jar binks and whatever is because I felt it lost that campy feel.