Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 8 Likes Search this Thread
12-21-2015, 03:41 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Star Wars

Good. I'm first. Too busy to be online much the past week ( 9 straight custody days plus travel).

Who has NOT seen it? Raise your hand.

Saw it opening night at the drive in an hour away with my daughter. Saw it two days later in 3D with my daughter and sister.

The first one was a defining moment in my and my sisters lives. I actually saw it 20 times in the dollar movie in the summer after but I forget the year. Probably 1978. I have the original theater program, an original movie poster that goes in the theater display, the first X comic books ( forget), a special issue 14x20 comic, and the first 4 seasons of collector cards. The first issue comic is in perfect condition and framed along with a couple other very rare and perfect first issues. All bought with my lawnmower money.

The movie. I will not entertain specifics as I do not want to ruin for people.

I saw it as a mirror of the very first one. Even down to exact scenes being duplicated ( updated of course ). It has the exact same interactions of good/evil, father/son, brother/sister ?

We got to see our heroes of yesteryear. Now with us with children or grand children , and them too. Like Clint Eastwood in Gran Tourino, one last really good showing to either make us feel young, or old, or both.

Perhaps even a small thank you to those of us that have spent $20 billion on silliness.

This is a franchise where I ignore non adherence to anything close to the laws of physics or even plausibility in a plot.
( cmon little bears do not defeat an evil empire as a previous example )

I generally just enjoy it and the day.

Without trying to sound overly corney, I do hope my daughter is proclaiming may the Force be with you long after I am gone.

12-21-2015, 04:04 PM - 1 Like   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I haven't seen it yet but I like WTDuck's cartoon today.
12-21-2015, 04:07 PM   #3
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Not. Maybe when it hits Netflix, maybe not.

I can't abide the other people in theaters.

Last edited by monochrome; 12-21-2015 at 08:51 PM.
12-21-2015, 04:14 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Havn't seen the new one yet.
Seen all the others.

12-21-2015, 04:27 PM   #5
Site Supporter

I was born in 75, so I grew up with Star Wars. I remember being terrified of Darth Vader. There was a mural on the far wall of the local skating rink. I wouldn't skate past it.

We saw it Thursday night. It was bittersweet for me. My late husband loved Star Wars too. And Adam Driver looks exactly like him.

https://flic.kr/p/BUjrGy
12-21-2015, 04:41 PM   #6
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I saw the first with my dad when I was 5, I even had a star wars watch that christmas. (back of the photo says january 1976) I just found out my dad took my older brother and sister to see it with him too, so he saw it 3 times. He loved the bar scene. He went to each movie with me, even falling asleep in the theatre during one. He passed away when I was 23, and those are some of the great memories for me. I loved the movies so much, I wanted to be Princess Leia so bad, lol. So far my kids don't seem to have the interest I did. And unfortunately, I read a spoiler by accident, so I am a little upset about that. But still looking forward to seeing it
12-21-2015, 04:52 PM   #7
Pentaxian

I will see it when the mad rush dies down, probably at an early matinee on a weekday. One of the benefits of being retired.

12-21-2015, 05:21 PM   #8
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by condor27596 Quote

Who has NOT seen it? Raise your hand.
Hand is up. I saw the first one many year ago, whatever that number was. I somehow have no interest.
12-21-2015, 05:33 PM   #9
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I will wait for the BD to come out, not in any rush here. I should re-watch the original, been decades since the last time.
12-21-2015, 05:41 PM   #10
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Ex Finn. Quote
I will wait for the BD to come out, not in any rush here. I should re-watch the original, been decades since the last time.
Amazon has Episodes I-VI on bluray for a good price.
12-21-2015, 06:01 PM   #11
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by dansamy Quote
I was born in 75, so I grew up with Star Wars. I remember being terrified of Darth Vader. There was a mural on the far wall of the local skating rink. I wouldn't skate past it.

We saw it Thursday night. It was bittersweet for me. My late husband loved Star Wars too. And Adam Driver looks exactly like him.

https://flic.kr/p/BUjrGy
That is a crazy likeness. Sorry you lost him.

---------- Post added 12-21-15 at 09:06 PM ----------

It is a good price. I don't have blue ray. I have the original 6 set from the 90s. I have to find in the basement while my daughter is out of town. Or I have to buy again lol

I never got Star Wars stuff for presents. Evel knevil was the rage back then.
12-21-2015, 06:13 PM   #12
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by dansamy Quote
Amazon has Episodes I-VI on bluray for a good price.
it's not the one that was shown in theaters, it is the 'enhanced' version. I am not a Star Wars fanatic, but the additional scenes are pretty terrible. I just bought it for my kids to watch, I think I read they stopped selling the original a few years back.
12-21-2015, 06:31 PM   #13
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Murfy Quote
it's not the one that was shown in theaters, it is the 'enhanced' version. I am not a Star Wars fanatic, but the additional scenes are pretty terrible. I just bought it for my kids to watch, I think I read they stopped selling the original a few years back.
They did. Sadly. Remember younglings, Han shot first!!

---------- Post added 12-21-15 at 06:31 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by condor27596 Quote
That is a crazy likeness. Sorry you lost him.

---------- Post added 12-21-15 at 09:06 PM ----------

It is a good price. I don't have blue ray. I have the original 6 set from the 90s. I have to find in the basement while my daughter is out of town. Or I have to buy again lol

I never got Star Wars stuff for presents. Evel knevil was the rage back then.
The middle person in that collage is our youngest son, Justin.
12-21-2015, 08:32 PM   #14
Veteran Member

Loved it!
12-21-2015, 08:59 PM   #15
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by reeftool Quote
I will see it when the mad rush dies down, probably at an early matinee on a weekday.
This is my plan as well. I was 21 when the first Star Wars came out, and the visuals and epic soundtrack just blew me away! Really liked that one, LOVED Empire Strikes Back (easily the best of the bunch), hated Return of the Jedi and those prequels. Looking forward to the new one though.