Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 4 Likes Search this Thread
01-02-2016, 04:01 PM   #46
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Oldbayrunner Quote
100% Jamaican blue Mountain
Oh man - you brought back an old memory! The best coffee I ever had was this - but it's been 25+ years since I had any. Is it available for a decent price in the US?

I went through a process a few years ago to find the coffee I like best to brew at home (I've never been to any of those fancy coffee houses spoken of as there is no such thing around here). I ended up with Tim Horton's - I just love it! I have to make a 130 mile round trip to get it so stock up every 3 months.

01-02-2016, 04:53 PM   #47
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
Original Poster
Coffee Roasters of Jamaica - 100% Jamaica Blue Mountain Coffee (16oz Whole Beans)
by Coffee Roasters of Jamaica
amazon prime 47$
01-02-2016, 04:56 PM   #48
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Better is the enemy of good

QuoteOriginally posted by dstar Quote
47$

I love coffee and drink lots but if I had to pay that price I'd give it up.

Chris
01-02-2016, 06:59 PM   #49
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
I get the Java Delight brand ground Sumatra medium-dark from Albertson's. The ingredients say it is 100% Arabica. The blurb says "Exotic & Bold". I have not tasted anything better.

01-02-2016, 10:48 PM   #50
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Just went on the Internet to get the spelling of the coffee I tasted when in Panama a couple of years ago and discovered I can now order Cafes De La Luna online. The cherries are dried in the sun, not washed to remove the skins and even the two pounds of beans I put in my luggage tasted better than anything else I've tried including the aforementioned Tarrazu and some high end beans from Columbia and south-east Asia.
01-03-2016, 10:15 AM   #51
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by dstar Quote
Coffee Roasters of Jamaica - 100% Jamaica Blue Mountain Coffee (16oz Whole Beans)
by Coffee Roasters of Jamaica
amazon prime 47$
Ouch! but thanks for finding that.
01-03-2016, 06:07 PM   #52

QuoteOriginally posted by Oldbayrunner Quote
100% Jamaican blue Mountain
Great coffee! Out of my price range in the states, but a great buy in Jamaica!

01-03-2016, 08:20 PM   #53
Pentaxian

Green Mountains Fair Trade Select is one I regularly buy. There is also a local roaster who sells his coffee every summer around here in the farmers market. He buys his beans in Costa Rica and roasts them at his home facility. It's good stuff!
01-04-2016, 10:24 AM   #54
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by reeftool Quote
Green Mountains Fair Trade Select is one I regularly buy
I stumbled upon Green Mountain a couple years ago. On my mail run when I-84 was pretty bad with snow - needed an extra coffee to calm my nerves. Stopped at a little Mom & Pop mini mart off one of the exits and they had Green Mountain as their regular coffee. Very good - if I had known how much I ended up liking it I would have grabbed a couple pounds while I was there.
01-04-2016, 05:00 PM   #55
osv
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by UserAccessDenied Quote
Exactly...
I love roasting my own in cast iron. Coffee when roasted releases co2. Once the gases are fully depleted its stale. This only takes about 14 days past roasting. All depending on variety but typically a good city+ roast is best 7 days after roasting, freshly ground with burr grinder 10 minutes before brew
yes, once you start roasting your own green beans, you'll never want pre-roasted coffee again.

i get the beans here: https://www.sweetmarias.com/category/green-coffee then roast it with a popcorn popper, and cool it with a small fan.

once roasted, it needs to be sealed in an airtight container, not just wrapped up in the typical coffee bag.
02-21-2016, 07:10 PM   #56
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by stormtech Quote
I went through a process a few years ago to find the coffee I like best to brew at home (I've never been to any of those fancy coffee houses spoken of as there is no such thing around here). I ended up with Tim Horton's - I just love it! I have to make a 130 mile round trip to get it so stock up every 3 months.
Hi Stan. Just saw this.
Thanks to you we only drink Tim Hortons! Yes, even though we are in Dunkin land, Tim Hortons is it. We use 4 lbs of beans per month.
02-21-2016, 08:57 PM   #57

There's a gentleman I found on You Tube that has a small business selling both green and roasted coffee. I've tried his 'Guatemala' it's very good. His coffees are not cheap. He can often be out-of-stock on his more popular roasts. And you have to grind it yourself...which may put some folks off. And He also sells something called the AeroPress which makes a great cup of coffee.

I don't know what is name is but he goes by "Yankee Prepper"...Google is your friend.