Pentax Camera Forums Home

Closed Thread
Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-21-2016, 07:01 PM - 1 Like   #1351
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by p38arover Quote
For example, an American as I have been!
a low blow

03-21-2016, 07:31 PM   #1352
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by StephenHampshire Quote
Not that old.....

The BR Standard Class 7 “Britannia” class pacifics, weredesigned by Robert Riddles for use by British Railways for mixed trafficduties. Fifty-five were constructed between 1951 and 1954, starting with 70000 “Britannia”Commonly known as “Brits”

Older than me 😉
03-21-2016, 08:40 PM   #1353
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by WPRESTO Quote
Trivial thought. Is there any difference in connotation saying or writing: " It is not that important" versus "It isn't that important" versus "It's not that important." Could we combine and use "It'sn't that important?" Nope, my tongue won't work on that.
How about, "It is not ALL that important." ?

Tonytee
03-21-2016, 11:14 PM   #1354
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by BigMackCam Quote
I seem to recall a period not long ago in London where everyone was referring to men's briefs as "Calvin's", regardless of whether they were Calvin Klein branded
Like this I came across a British expression whilst in Philadelphia. 'Hoovering' means the action of walking around a large dinner venue collecting the partially consumed wine bottles so that those seated at the heavier drinkers' table can then consume all the wine for which payment has been made. A word coming from a brand.

---------- Post added 03-22-16 at 04:45 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by wizofoz Quote
+1

Or underchunders, or jock's, or nickers, occasionally briefs depending on the style. But to be in sync with the parameters of this thread (for once) never ever, 'shorts' in the Australian vernacular. Shorts go on the outside
Not like Batman and Robin and Superman, who wear their underpants on the outside.

---------- Post added 03-22-16 at 04:48 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by wizofoz Quote
or poetic rythm.
And that builds on the metronomic character of poetry.

03-22-2016, 12:32 AM   #1355
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
That is a string vest- a normal ves or singlet, would be made of a more solid fabric, such as cotton or polyester. I personally was made to wear hideously scratchy "woollen" vests when I was a nipper, although thankfully only in the winter months (Sept to May here in the UK)

At some time in the past two hundred and fifty years, pants and knickers (from pantaloons and knicker-bockers) transitioned from outerwear to underwear in the UK, whilst the former remains as outerwear in the ex-colonies. We also have briefs as underwear although shorts remain as something to wear when jogging or playing football or rugby.

Bloomers are of course a rather modest foundation garment for ladies, whereas a bloomer is a gaffe or a loaf.

This is a Brit by the way

A vest is a vest regardless of whether it's made of string,cotton,lycra(!)....The point I was making was that in the UK it would be regarded as eccentric to walk down the street in just a vest and pants,but not in The US.

WRT Brits,headlines such as "Brits Abroad","First Brit to win Wimbledon","Brit in space",etc all have completely different and surreal connotations if your definition is correct!!

Last edited by timb64; 03-22-2016 at 12:50 AM.
03-22-2016, 12:52 AM   #1356
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Tonytee Quote
How about, "It is not ALL that important." ?

Tonytee
or, 'it is unimportant' or 'it lacks significance'

---------- Post added 22nd Mar 2016 at 18:55 ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by timb64 Quote
WRT Brits,headlines such as "Brits Abroad","First Brit to win Wimbledon","Brit in space",etc all have completely different and surreal connotations if your definition is correct!!
While I can conceive of the loco traveling overseas (via the chunnel?) or becoming space cargo, I have great difficulty imagining it successfully completing a cross court backhand dropshot ......
03-22-2016, 01:39 AM   #1357
Veteran Member

A vest is a vest regardless of whether it's made of string,cotton,lycra(!)....The point I was making was that in the UK it would be regarded as eccentric to walk down the street in just a vest and pants,but not in The US.

Agreed about the vest! Walking about in your undies in the UK is not to be encouraged, too cold for one thing! On the other hand, we have a chap who lives not far from me in Hampshire who likes to do his own thing, just google "the naked rambler"

re Brit in Space, I'm not sure about that, but it is well known that there is a Lancaster bomber on the dark side of the Moon, parked next to the double decker bus.

03-22-2016, 02:46 AM   #1358
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by WPRESTO Quote
Trivial thought. Is there any difference in connotation saying or writing: " It is not that important" versus "It isn't that important" versus "It's not that important." Could we combine and use "It'sn't that important?" Nope, my tongue won't work on that.
The first one seems stilted to me. I want abbreviations and apostrophes so it sounds like a human is talking rather than a robot
03-22-2016, 02:56 AM   #1359
Pentaxian

Agreed about the vest! Walking about in your undies in the UK is not to be encouraged, too cold for one thing! On the other hand, we have a chap who lives not far from me in Hampshire who likes to do his own thing, just google "the naked rambler"

re Brit in Space, I'm not sure about that, but it is well known that there is a Lancaster bomber on the dark side of the Moon, parked next to the double decker bus.

..and there was also the Dr Who episode with the Spitfires in space
03-22-2016, 02:57 AM   #1360
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Transit Quote
The first one seems stilted to me. I want abbreviations and apostrophes so it sounds like a human is talking rather than a robot
I suspect the difference relies on which word is verbally emphasized: "It is NOT that important." "It is not THAT important." "It IS NOT that important." "IT is not that important."
03-22-2016, 03:01 AM - 1 Like   #1361
Pentaxian

Original Poster
They are all robot speak :-)
Throw in an 'it's' and we're in business
03-22-2016, 03:47 AM - 1 Like   #1362
Forum Member

In Scotland a vest (UK type) can be called a "simmet".

Ronnie
03-22-2016, 05:06 AM   #1363
Veteran Member

..and there was also the Dr Who episode with the Spitfires in space
Actually two I think...Victory of the Daleks and A Good Man Goes To War I think! The former, written by Mark Gatiss is considered a rather average episode and is infamous for introducing the Fatleks or "New Paradigm Daleks"
But it isn't that important........

03-22-2016, 05:51 AM - 1 Like   #1364
PEG Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: Highlands of Scotland... "Hold Infinity in the palm of your hand" - William Blake
QuoteOriginally posted by ronnies Quote
In Scotland a vest (UK type) can be called a "simmet"
Especially by folk of a certain age...
03-22-2016, 05:56 PM   #1365
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by ronnies Quote
In Scotland a vest (UK type) can be called a "simmet".

Ronnie
All right, a Canuck has to kick in here on the local clothing name thread. I hate having to wear Stanfields.
Closed Thread