Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 18756 Likes Search this Thread
06-04-2020, 12:33 PM - 2 Likes   #2716
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Racer X 69 Quote
Yes, we ran through all the automotive letter acronyms a while back.
Never been one for Chevrolet though....

06-04-2020, 02:39 PM - 11 Likes   #2717
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Paddy and Shamus were hitchhiking.
"It's best if we split up" said Paddy.
"I will meet you in the next city under the town hall clock".
Later that night Shamus was waiting at the appointed place when Paddy drove up in a swank car.
"Where the hell did you get that?"
Paddy explained that he had just walked a little way when a beautiful woman picked him up.

She drove into the woods, got out and took all her clothes off.
"She said I could have anything I wanted, so I took the car." said Paddy.
"Good choice too" said Shamus. "You'd look ridiculous in her clothes."
06-04-2020, 02:39 PM - 12 Likes   #2718
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

"I feel so miserable without you, it's almost like having you here." -Stephen Bishop

"I have never killed a man, but I have read many obituaries with great pleasure." -Clarence Darrow

"Thank you for sending me a copy of your book; I'll waste no time reading it."
-Moses Hadas

"His ears made him look like a taxicab with both doors open."
-Howard Hughes (about Clark Gable)

"He is not only dull himself, he is the cause of dullness in others." -Samuel Johnson

"I've had a perfectly wonderful evening. But this wasn't it." -Groucho Marx

"I didn't attend the funeral, but I sent a nice letter saying I approved of it." -Mark Twain

"Some cause happiness wherever they go; others whenever they go." -Oscar Wilde

"He has Van Gogh's ear for music." -Billy Wilder
06-05-2020, 10:03 AM - 1 Like   #2719
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
“This book is not to be tossed lightly aside, but to be hurled with great force”. ~ Dorothy Parker

06-05-2020, 10:15 AM - 5 Likes   #2720
Pentaxian

“I would challenge you to a battle of wits, but I see you are unarmed”. William Shakespeare
06-05-2020, 03:31 PM - 2 Likes   #2721
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by WPRESTO Quote
We had for some years a Rover 2000, a nicely designed car that was badly constructed.

We also had a Renault 16 which had by far the cleverest, most flexible and useful interior of any car we've owned. It also had remarkably comfortable front seats despite their simple design. Something about the weight distribution, tires, and front wheel drive gave it excellent handling in snow and on icy roads, significantly better as best I remember than my current AWD Subaru Forester. But mechanically? OMG did it teach me a lot about fixing cars on my own.

No truer words were ever spoken. Same goes for the Peugeot and Citroen brands. There is the old adage: "Never buy a car manufactured in France, unless you live there.

) TT
06-05-2020, 05:11 PM - 2 Likes   #2722
Senior Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Tonytee Quote
No truer words were ever spoken. Same goes for the Peugeot and Citroen brands. There is the old adage: "Never buy a car manufactured in France, unless you live there.

) TT
For many, many years I've wanted a Citroen. I have no idea why, it's just one of those things.
Of course I've always liked the British made Morris Minor as well.
Odd taste in vehicles you say? Yes. The first car I ever owned was a Honda Coupe that I bought brand new in 1973. 600 cc air cooled engine, 10" wheels, front wheel drive. It redlined at 63mph.

06-05-2020, 08:46 PM   #2723
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Parallax Quote
For many, many years I've wanted a Citroen. I have no idea why, it's just one of those things.
Odd taste in vehicles you say? Yes. The first car I ever owned was a Honda Coupe that I bought brand new in 1973. 600 cc air cooled engine, 10" wheels, front wheel drive. It redlined at 63mph.
Why did you buy a 600cc air cooled Honda car with 10 inch wheels ? Redlining at 63 mph...and I bet that redline on a small engine was fairly high rpm.

I'm not being critical, I'm just curious.

For full disclosure my first car was a '61 VW Beetle that I bough used when it was 6 years old in '67. I was 17-18 or so. Top speed was 72 mph, flat out...just 9 mph faster than your Honda, , after a long run for about at least a mile....on a level road. I bought my used V-Dub (Der Beetle I called it...friends called it the Berlin Buick) ....because I wanted a car with reliability, durability, great MPG...performance was not a criteria then and I couldn't afford much when I was young.

I would venture a guess that the reasons for your choice of a first car were similar to mine.

---------- Post added 06-05-20 at 10:54 PM ----------

) TT
We rented a Peugeot 205 , 1 liter 4 banger, manual transmission while in the UK back in '85. It was a newer rental with around 6000 miles on the odo. It was not a good car, in rain it fogged up so badly that we had to use cloths to wipe down the inside glass to see, the defroster on full was easily over taxed. The metal panels of the car were very thin and I had to be very careful when closing the hood...for fear of bending the hood. I checked the oil level daily as it was a thirsty little devil.

Top speed was between 71-72 mph, acceleration was close to non existent and the interior was cramped, although I will admit I'm a bit on the XL side...6'3" + and 245 lbs...so maybe we should of chosen another car to rent.

There were a number of times I said to my wife, whilst in the Peugeot...that boy did I miss my Pontiac 2 door sedan that we had back home.
06-05-2020, 09:28 PM - 1 Like   #2724
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by MarkJerling Quote
"Some cause happiness wherever they go; others whenever they go." -Oscar Wilde
I don't usually post in here. I just give likes for those that make me laugh, but that one above, I had to single out because it is true, thanks Mark!
06-06-2020, 02:07 AM - 4 Likes   #2725
Pentaxian

) TT
Exactly ... "never buy a French car unless you live in France".

I have personal experience from working in a small Renault dealership in Tulsa long, long ago ... and 25+ years in France driving mostly Renault.

I can also add a new twist here ... never have a French wife unless you live in France.
06-06-2020, 02:14 AM - 2 Likes   #2726
Pentaxian

Today's "dream car" acquisition ... a Lada, the antithesis of my first car.

06-06-2020, 04:25 AM - 2 Likes   #2727
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

VAV Citroen. If you never saw the TV program where they field tested top luxury cars with special emphasis on "how comfortable, how smooth a ride" those being, presumably, top expectations for a luxury vehicle. Each car was driven over a dreadful unpaved surface with ruts and rocks = more suitable to a 4X4. The top end Citroen didn't simply do better than Mercedes, RR, etc. it absolutely crushed them for smoothing out the ride. The hydraulic suspension on the top end Citroen is simply and absolutely the best ride ever in any vehicle, no room for dissent or debate. Now, if only it stayed on the roads and out of a repair shop for more than a year at a time.
06-06-2020, 08:10 AM - 21 Likes   #2728
Senior Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Today I went to Walmart to get a few things. I was feeling pretty good about it as I hadn't been out of the house in weeks. I was a bit surprised by the preventative measures being taken due to the pandemic; masks, gloves, temperatures taken....... Geesh!
When I was ready to pay for my items the cashier said, -"Strip down, facing me."
Making a mental note to complain to Corporate that they had gone too far with the precautions, I did just as she had instructed.
When the hysterical shrieking and alarms finally subsided, I found out she was referring to how I should place my credit card in the card reader!
They need to make their instructions to seniors a little more clear.
As a senior citizen, I do not get flustered often, but this time it took me a while to get my pants back on.
I've been asked to shop elsewhere in the future.

On a positive note, I still don't think I looked that bad!
I just need to wear underwear more often.
06-06-2020, 02:39 PM   #2729
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Ever driven one? My brother had three, two of which were scrapped to turn #3 almost roadworthy. Almost. Driving back to his student flat he got the thing up to 60mph on the motorway, finally parking it on the street outside his door, at which both front wheels fell outwards on to the road. King pins gone...

He moved on to more modern vehicles after that – and that was more than 30 years ago!
06-06-2020, 02:50 PM   #2730
Pentaxian

Today I went to Walmart to get a few things. I was feeling pretty good about it as I hadn't been out of the house in weeks. I was a bit surprised by the preventative measures being taken due to the pandemic; masks, gloves, temperatures taken....... Geesh!
When I was ready to pay for my items the cashier said, -"Strip down, facing me."
Making a mental note to complain to Corporate that they had gone too far with the precautions, I did just as she had instructed.
When the hysterical shrieking and alarms finally subsided, I found out she was referring to how I should place my credit card in the card reader!
They need to make their instructions to seniors a little more clear.
As a senior citizen, I do not get flustered often, but this time it took me a while to get my pants back on.
I've been asked to shop elsewhere in the future.

On a positive note, I still don't think I looked that bad!
I just need to wear underwear more often.
LUCKILY, our local COSTCO didn't have THAT level of "precautions" when we went there several weeks ago - Thank God (or "whoever") !

---------- Post added 06-06-20 at 10:59 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by StiffLegged Quote
.. parking it on the street outside his door, at which both front wheels fell outwards on to the road. King pins gone...
Not a Minor story (had a very old Minor van for a time after my 2nd Mini got stolen - great fun to drive on icy roads, full control on opposite lock! ), but, not long ago, was driving to the local Lidl store and had to carefully avoid a Honda Civic (or a similar model) that was stationary because (presumably) one of the front suspension ball-joints had failed and the wheel was leaning inwards/outwards (can't remember which) at an alarming angle!

Suspension failure was/is not confined to Morris Minors!

Last edited by jeallen01; 06-06-2020 at 03:15 PM.