Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-06-2020, 04:31 PM - 7 Likes   #2731
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by jeallen01 Quote
LUCKILY, our local COSTCO didn't have THAT level of "precautions" when we went there several weeks ago - Thank God (or "whoever") !

---------- Post added 06-06-20 at 10:59 PM ----------

Not a Minor story (had a very old Minor van for a time after my 2nd Mini got stolen - great fun to drive on icy roads, full control on opposite lock! ), but, not long ago, was driving to the local Lidl store and had to carefully avoid a Honda Civic (or a similar model) that was stationary because (presumably) one of the front suspension ball-joints had failed and the wheel was leaning inwards/outwards (can't remember which) at an alarming angle!

Suspension failure was/is not confined to Morris Minors!
Common it is...in fact I believe there was a song written back in the 70's about this car issue entitled......"You picked a fine time to leave me...loose wheel.." ...or maybe I'm getting mixed up...was the song title..." You picked a fine time to leave me ...Lucille. "

06-07-2020, 12:22 AM - 4 Likes   #2732
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by lesmore49 Quote
Common it is...in fact I believe there was a song written back in the 70's about this car issue entitled......"You picked a fine time to leave me...loose wheel.." ...or maybe I'm getting mixed up...was the song title..." You picked a fine time to leave me ...Lucille. "
“Four hundred children and a crop in the field” - maybe she got tired.
06-07-2020, 01:42 AM - 3 Likes   #2733
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by StiffLegged Quote
Ever driven one? My brother had three, two of which were scrapped to turn #3 almost roadworthy. Almost. Driving back to his student flat he got the thing up to 60mph on the motorway, finally parking it on the street outside his door, at which both front wheels fell outwards on to the road. King pins gone...

He moved on to more modern vehicles after that – and that was more than 30 years ago!
Never driven (anything - had three lessons when I was 17 - hit two other cars and the man with the red flag), but I was a rear seat passenger in a friend's Morris Minor once, and we took an adverse camber downhill r/h bend at speed. I was flung against the nearside door, which promptly opened, dumping me on the road, then politely closed itself again. It was over five minutes before anyone noticed, and they came back to find me.

I don't have to watch 'Last Of The Summer Wine' - I've lived quite a lot of it !

Last edited by 35mmfilmfan; 06-07-2020 at 01:43 AM. Reason: Rameses II Is Dead, My Love
06-07-2020, 04:07 AM - 2 Likes   #2734
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
The instructor I had for introductory geology did not have a driver's license, obvious when he never drove the vehicles we used for field trips. When asked, he confessed that when taking his first test for a license they went past and especially interesting rock outcrop which caught his eye and caused him to drive totally off the road. Aside from not passing the test, he decided that driving was really too dangerous..

06-07-2020, 04:17 AM   #2735
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by StiffLegged Quote
Ever driven one? My brother had three, two of which were scrapped to turn #3 almost roadworthy. Almost. Driving back to his student flat he got the thing up to 60mph on the motorway, finally parking it on the street outside his door, at which both front wheels fell outwards on to the road. King pins gone...

He moved on to more modern vehicles after that – and that was more than 30 years ago!
Nothing wrong with a Morris Minor as long as you service the little car in time.
As a kid I grew up with a Morris Minor, my father owned one.
We made trips with the family to my grandmother during weekends.
Those were the days..........
06-07-2020, 06:30 AM - 3 Likes   #2736
Veteran Member

I miss the amusement I used to find on this thread.
06-07-2020, 06:43 AM   #2737
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by robtcorl Quote
I miss the amusement I used to find on this thread.
No kidding, it used to be dependable if you needed a laugh.

06-07-2020, 07:17 AM - 1 Like   #2738
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Fluegel Quote
Nothing wrong with a Morris Minor as long as you service the little car in time.
As a kid I grew up with a Morris Minor, my father owned one.
We made trips with the family to my grandmother during weekends.
Those were the days..........
Our neighbours had a Morris Minor in the '50's. They were English from Bristol...where Cary Grant was also from. They used to wash....and wax it...every weekend. Beautiful dark green with a tan interior, I recall.
06-07-2020, 01:12 PM - 1 Like   #2739
Pentaxian

Never had neighbours with a dark green exterior - where were they from, any idea ?
06-07-2020, 01:30 PM - 2 Likes   #2740
Veteran Member

I suppose they were from Greenland...........
06-07-2020, 03:35 PM - 9 Likes   #2741
bxf
Veteran Member

19 THINGS THAT IT TOOK ME 50 YEARS TO LEARN by Dave Barry

1. Never under any circumstances take a sleeping pill and a laxative on the same night.

2. If you had to identify, in one word, the reason why the human race has not achieved,
and never will achieve, its full potential, that word would be "meetings."

3. There is a very fine line between "hobby" and "mental illness."

4. People who want to share their religious views with you almost never want you to share
yours with them.

5. And when God, who created the entire universe with all of its glories, decides to deliver a
message to humanity, He WILL NOT use, as His messenger, a person on cable TV with
a bad hairstyle.

6. You should not confuse your career with your life.

7. No matter what happens, somebody will find a way to take it too seriously.

8. When trouble arises and things look bad, there is always one individual who perceives a
solution and is willing to take command. Very often, that individual is crazy.

9. Nobody cares if you can't dance well. Just get up and dance.

10. Never lick a steak knife.

11. Take out the fortune before you eat the cookie.

12. The most powerful force in the universe is gossip.

13. You will never find anybody who can give you a clear and compelling reason why we observe
daylight savings time.

14. You should never say anything to a woman that even remotely suggests that you think she's
pregnant unless you can see an actual baby emerging from her at that moment.

15. There comes a time when you should stop expecting other people to make a big deal about
your birthday. That time is age 11.

16. "The one thing that unites all human beings, regardless of age, gender, religion, economic status
or ethnic background, is that, deep down inside, we ALL believe that we are above average drivers.

17. The main accomplishment of almost all organized protests is to annoy people who are not in them.

18. A person who is nice to you, but rude to the waiter, is not a nice person.

19. Your friends love you anyway.
06-07-2020, 04:50 PM - 2 Likes   #2742
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by 35mmfilmfan Quote
Never had neighbours with a dark green exterior - where were they from, any idea ?
They were aliens. That I know.

But aliens supposedly from Bristol, England...or so they said..... and who knows what part of the universe before. They eventually got their Canadian citizenship papers sorted out.

One thing I could never figure out, was that their eyes glowed red....starting around dusk and remaining so throughout the night.

But being green, with red eyes....it wasn't a big deal...as my fashionable wife tells me that red and green colours complement each other.
06-07-2020, 06:08 PM - 3 Likes   #2743
Senior Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

The purpose of diplomacy is to prolong a crisis.
Bureaucrats operate differently than diplomats, but the results are the same.
06-08-2020, 02:18 AM - 1 Like   #2744
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by lesmore49 Quote
They were aliens. That I know.

But aliens supposedly from Bristol, England...or so they said.....
May I politely, yet firmly, point out that my own ancestors came from Bristol when it was still part of Somerset ......

Apparently they left at some speed, without bothering to pack or leave a forwarding address
06-08-2020, 02:22 AM - 3 Likes   #2745
Pentaxian

@bxf

'7. No matter what happens, somebody will find a way to take it too seriously.'

One of my (many) ex-bosses once asked why I didn't take life seriously. She looked totally perplexed when I explained that I was not an assassin.