Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 18776 Likes Search this Thread
06-02-2023, 07:35 AM - 1 Like   #5401
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by 35mmfilmfan Quote
You had lawn chairs ? What was wrong with beer crates (wooden, of course), pray ?

Splinters in the nether regions.

06-02-2023, 09:11 AM - 9 Likes   #5402
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
06-02-2023, 09:34 AM   #5403
Pentaxian

Good one.
06-02-2023, 09:40 AM - 1 Like   #5404
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by texandrews Quote
So, she didn't like the crates and drum? Or that it was a walk-up?

Remember Eddie Cochran '20 Flight Rock' ?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f8Vfin7mqdw&pp=ygUcZWRkaWUgY29jaHJhbiAyMCBmbGlnaHQgcm9jaw%3D%3D

Last edited by 35mmfilmfan; 06-02-2023 at 09:43 AM. Reason: URL added (or is that Eddied ?)
06-02-2023, 09:44 AM - 1 Like   #5405
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by lesmore49 Quote
Splinters in the nether regions.
Not at all - covered with bar mats !
06-02-2023, 10:20 AM - 8 Likes   #5406
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
After we were engaged, before we were married, M cooked dinner for me regularly. She had purchased a wedding dress that was simple, figure-hugging and fit her like a glove (I had not seen it of course). She feared adding even a few ounces to her weight so she cooked a smallish meal, then divided into two precisely equal portions telling me: "That's enough food for anyone." So at the wedding, her dress fit perfectly, but my suit, bought year before, required safety pins hitches around the belt line and the jacket fit me like a hand-me-down from a much larger older brother.

Last edited by WPRESTO; 06-02-2023 at 03:51 PM.
06-02-2023, 01:15 PM - 5 Likes   #5407
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by WPRESTO Quote
After we were engaged, before we were married, M cooked dinner for me regularly. She had purchased a wedding dress that was simple, figure-hugging and fit her like a glove (I had not seen it of course). She feared adding even a few ounces to her weight so she could a smallish meal, then divided into two precisely equal portions telling "That's enough food for anyone." So at the wedding, her dress fit perfectly, but my suit, bought year before, required safety pins hitches around the belt line and the jacket fit me like a hand-me-down from a much larger older brother.
I'll do ya one better. My wife and I met as freshmen in college, fall of 1974. We were both of that group of boomers that missed being actual hippies, so we were wanna-be's. She wore jeans and workboots, shirts and headscarves, some beads on occasion. Never makeup. In 1980 we married at her family's catholic church (a concession to her mother). She wore her mother's vintage dress which really was beautiful--knee length. I wore a hand me down tux.

2 problems. The tux was a 42, and at the time maybe I was a 38. So I was swimming in it. And I was undernourished due to temporary poverty, and living a bit of a life of dissipation (not serious, mild). So, I swam in the tux. Meanwhile, she had her more savvy friends help her with her makeup. Now, it was an evening wedding so it was presumed that the lighting would be subdued. So, the friends amplified her makeup a bit.

Well, the church was actually lit up like a dang stadium, super bright. So, with my oversize tux and raccoon eyes from my hard living, plus my semi emaciation, and with her now looking like she'd been painted up for who knows what, we looked like bride of Frankenstein and a cadaver.

Fortunately we didn't hire a photographer, but relied on friends who didn't do a good job.

06-02-2023, 01:32 PM - 7 Likes   #5408
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I've related this story before, almost to good to be true. In grad school I had friends named Pat & Tom Rich (I knew both in undergrad college as well) Tom had a sister Linda (might not be her correct first name) who came visiting and P&T were sure Linda & I would become a thing, but no attraction on either side. Later Linda married a fellow named Douglas Poor (again first name could be wrong). The wedding invitation read: "Come watch a Rich girl become a Poor woman."

I suddenly remember Miss Rich's correct first name - - Penny Rich. Wonder if her parents thought themselves just a little clever?

Last edited by WPRESTO; 06-03-2023 at 03:23 AM.
06-05-2023, 10:01 AM - 7 Likes   #5409
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

My friend was showing me his tool shed. He pointed out a ladder leaning against the wall. "That's my step ladder," he said. "I never knew my real ladder."
06-05-2023, 11:15 AM   #5410
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by WPRESTO Quote
I've related this story before, almost to good to be true. In grad school I had friends named Pat & Tom Rich (I knew both in undergrad college as well) Tom had a sister Linda (might not be her correct first name) who came visiting and P&T were sure Linda & I would become a thing, but no attraction on either side. Later Linda married a fellow named Douglas Poor (again first name could be wrong). The wedding invitation read: "Come watch a Rich girl become a Poor woman."

I suddenly remember Miss Rich's correct first name - - Penny Rich. Wonder if her parents thought themselves just a little clever?
Some parents do not think before they name their children. I was at Junior School with a girl name Jennifer Taylor - always 'Jennifer', never 'Jennie' !
06-05-2023, 11:25 AM - 1 Like   #5411
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by 35mmfilmfan Quote
Some parents do not think before they name their children. I was at Junior School with a girl name Jennifer Taylor - always 'Jennifer', never 'Jennie' !
I was at school with a guy called Richard Hunt!!
06-05-2023, 11:39 AM - 1 Like   #5412
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

A local mother took a great deal of persuasion not to name her firstborn (a girl) Chlamydia. She thought that was a simply beautiful name; but somehow, someone persuaded her not to do it.
06-05-2023, 12:36 PM - 1 Like   #5413
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by timb64 Quote
I was at school with a guy called Richard Hunt!!
When I suffered from employment, one of our computer engineers was called Michael Hunt.

A local dentist 'rejoiced' in the name Richard Soles.

A pensioner I used to serve in the Post Office was called Minnie Tombs.

Allegedly a couple who enjoyed Jurassic Park named their child Dinodna.
06-05-2023, 06:42 PM - 2 Likes   #5414
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

We have a local teacher who goes by the name of "Richard Swallow".
His parents clearly did not think that one through.
06-06-2023, 02:38 AM - 2 Likes   #5415
Man With A Camera
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: The Great Pacific Northwet, in the Land Between Canada and Mexico
Reminds me of the late NASCAR racer Dick Trickle (Richard Leroy Trickle (October 27, 1941 – May 16, 2013).

Dick Trickle - Wikipedia

I imagine there was more than one occasion where he was teased about it.