Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-18-2018, 03:49 AM - 4 Likes   #976
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Riggomatic Quote
Just an observation this evening... Went to the store, and picked up some Band-Aids. When I got home I noticed on the package that it contained "Sterile Band-Aids".

Was there an option to by dirty Band-Aids, and I lucked out.... ?
No, I think it means that the Band-aids can't have babies.....

08-18-2018, 04:04 AM - 2 Likes   #977
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Did you hear about the leg survey?

2% of men prefer fat legs, 2% of men prefer thin legs, and 96% of men prefer something in between.
08-18-2018, 04:57 AM - 6 Likes   #978
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
The platypus is the only animal that produces both eggs and milk, making it the only animal that can make its own custard.

Last edited by Digitalis; 08-18-2018 at 08:29 AM.
08-18-2018, 04:58 AM - 1 Like   #979
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
The platypus is really an Easter Bunny in retirement, a hairy animal that lays eggs.

08-18-2018, 05:56 AM   #980
Veteran Member

It's just a flat cat.

08-18-2018, 03:33 PM   #981
Pentaxian

Scientists Didn't Think The Platypus Was A Real Animal At First - Fact Fiend
08-18-2018, 03:49 PM - 3 Likes   #982
Pentaxian

At about 9 yrs old (so it was around 1956!) , I had an "argument" with the Head of my Primary school who had said that there were no animals that laid eggs and suckled their young - "Sorry Sir, but the platypus and the echidna do that - saw it on the telly last night" He was not that best "pleased"!

Last edited by jeallen01; 08-19-2018 at 02:15 AM.
08-18-2018, 05:31 PM   #983
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by jeallen01 Quote
At about 9 yrs old (so it was around 1956!) , I had an "argument" with the Head of my Primary school who had said that there were no animals that laid eggs and suckled their young - "Sorry Sir, but the playpus and the echidna do that - saw it on the telly last night" He was not that best "pleased"!
Lol

08-18-2018, 05:52 PM   #984
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by jeallen01 Quote
I had an "argument" with the Head of my Primary school who had said that there were no animals that laid eggs and suckled their young - "Sorry Sir, but the playpus and the echidna do that - saw it on the telly last night" He was not that best "pleased"!
Something is fundamentally wrong when a teacher's opinions reign supreme over their students.Teachers should be pleased their students have the intellectual curiosity to seek the truth for themselves...but that was in 1956.
08-19-2018, 02:15 AM   #985
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Digitalis Quote
Something is fundamentally wrong when a teacher's opinions reign supreme over their students.Teachers should be pleased their students have the intellectual curiosity to seek the truth for themselves...but that was in 1956.
Whilst I generally agree with your initial comment, I would not be so "heavy" on that guy - he was a well-educated and decent person, but just didn't know something that had only recently been discovered (and shown on one of the very earliest wildlfe shows on British TV - and those were the days when few British people actually did have TV receivers!),
08-19-2018, 04:07 AM - 2 Likes   #986
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

No teacher can know everything, no person can know everything. Teachers I've spoken to who taught subjects such as English, Business Administration, History or Psychology at the college where I taught sometimes revealed ghastly ignorance of science, not merely at the level of factual material (such as knowing there a several living fur-covered animals that lay eggs), but even at the level of how-science-works or how-scientists-think.

What I object to is the pride taken in one-upping a teacher, or somehow belittling, fooling, cheating on a teacher. It is theme of all too many Hollywood movies. The hero is the one who fools the teacher or makes a fool of the teacher, cheats and gets away with it, manages to evade the responsibility to learn Ferris Beuler is the hero, not the student who does what is called for and expected. A good student is always a "nerd." If male they small, thin, wear thick-rimmed glasses, socially inept, athletically incompetent. If female they are either scrawny or dumpy, never attractive, they also wear thick glasses, have an out-of-date hairdo (if any), wear out-of fashion clothing (pleated skirts and bobby socks are common), and are socially inept. But as the saying goes, be nice to nerds, chances are you'll be working for one, and if not, they will surely be the doctors, lawyers and other professionals in your life, as well as some of the teachers you expect will help your kids to learn what they must to be successful.

Last edited by WPRESTO; 08-19-2018 at 04:18 AM.
08-19-2018, 04:16 AM - 1 Like   #987
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by WPRESTO Quote
Teachers I've spoken to that taught subjects such as English, Business Administration, History or Psychology at the college where I taught sometimes revealed ghastly ignorance of science, not merely at the level of factual material (such as knowing there a several living fur-covered animals that lay eggs), but even at the level of how-science-works or how-scientists-think.
I blame their teachers
08-19-2018, 04:21 AM   #988
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I blame a general dearth of science education. In fairness, it's hard to know what science to teach at what level. It's as bad as selecting a work of fiction to read in a class on literature, considering the choices available.
08-19-2018, 04:25 AM - 1 Like   #989
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by WPRESTO Quote
In fairness, it's hard to know what science to teach at what level.
without getting over-serious - this is the joke thread, after all - Every 16 year old should at least have been taught how scientific method works - and those who go on to be teachers should be capable of remembering. My family is riddled with teachers, so I'm not being unsympathetic, just saying.
08-19-2018, 04:52 AM - 4 Likes   #990
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Kid comes home from 1st day at school. Mom asks, 'What did you learn today?' Kid replies, 'Not enough. I have to go back tomorrow.'