Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 18749 Likes Search this Thread
02-05-2020, 01:55 AM - 1 Like   #2101
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by 35mmfilmfan Quote
Also attributed to Dean Martin, W. C. Fields and Jack Lemmon.
"I always feel sorry for people who don’t drink, because when they wake up in the morning, that’s as good as they’re gonna feel all day” was said by the actor Jack Lemmon in the movie Under the Yum Yum Tree (1963). Both the movie and the 1960-61 play were written by Lawrence Roman (1921-2008).

02-05-2020, 03:32 AM - 1 Like   #2102
bxf
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Racer X 69 Quote
The word is against the law?

But.

It is in the dictionary.
I was playing on the fact that it was hidden in the first place, presumably because it is/was illegal
02-05-2020, 05:51 AM - 1 Like   #2103
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by bxf Quote
Because it's against the law
The surest way to entice people to try something is to make it forbidden, whether it's special apples or alcohol (during Prohibition) or marijuana. Want to see people touch a lamppost? Hang a sign that says "WET PAINT."
02-05-2020, 08:05 AM - 2 Likes   #2104
Pentaxian

Why did you hide the letters of marijuana?
Because, in this fair country (UK) champion of freedom for all creeds, colours and sexual orientation, possession and use of said substance is not only against the law, despite multiple reports indicating the many benefits of its use - it is (AFAIK) currently classified as a class B drug, carrying heavier penalties than some others (although I am no expert). I was attempting to add emphasis to the irony already present in PBH's verse.

I was also unsure, as this is an international forum, whether the moderators would permit it to be spelt in full for fear of reprisals from outraged Citizens Watch Committees.

02-05-2020, 08:20 AM - 3 Likes   #2105
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Because, in this fair country (UK) champion of freedom for all creeds, colours and sexual orientation, possession and use of said substance is not only against the law, despite multiple reports indicating the many benefits of its use - it is (AFAIK) currently classified as a class B drug, carrying heavier penalties than some others (although I am no expert). I was attempting to add emphasis to the irony already present in PBH's verse.

I was also unsure, as this is an international forum, whether the moderators would permit it to be spelt in full for fear of reprisals from outraged Citizens Watch Committees.
Murder is illegal, and it's perfectly fine to write it out. Just saying
02-05-2020, 08:34 AM - 2 Likes   #2106
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by bertwert Quote
It used to be hidden...?

Here you could always smell it on every street corner, no difference before or after legalisation.

I do not partake either, strongly dislike the smell, and I like my lungs and brain...
I do think it should be illegal until the age of 26.... brains are still developing and there is evidence that it changes a growing brain, although for better or worse, no one seems to know.

Once you're over 60 it helps you sleep, which for some of us gets to be a big problem, and if you grow your own, you can make cookies, so no need to pollute your lungs. (Poor sleep can do more harm than smoking.)

You do have to make a few rules, like no posting on the internet or answering the phone.

That being said, delaying it's use until you have an actual clinical need for it is a good thing. Same with any drug.

Just don't totally rule it out, you might be my age some day.

Last edited by normhead; 02-05-2020 at 08:39 AM.
02-05-2020, 09:28 AM - 2 Likes   #2107
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by normhead Quote
I do think it should be illegal until the age of 26.... brains are still developing and there is evidence that it changes a growing brain, although for better or worse, no one seems to know.

Once you're over 60 it helps you sleep, which for some of us gets to be a big problem, and if you grow your own, you can make cookies, so no need to pollute your lungs. (Poor sleep can do more harm than smoking.)

You do have to make a few rules, like no posting on the internet or answering the phone.

That being said, delaying it's use until you have an actual clinical need for it is a good thing. Same with any drug.

Valid points Norm, and I do hope to one day be an old fart as well

02-05-2020, 09:30 AM   #2108
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by normhead Quote

Good grief Norm,I now find myself agreeing with you!!

With a young family member who suffers mental health problems,which I am pretty sure have been exasperated by smoking weed,I have reassessed my attitude to what I previously regarded as a relatively benign drug.Although that could be something to do with the stronger strains that seem to prevail now compared to my younger days.

Last edited by timb64; 02-05-2020 at 09:37 AM.
02-05-2020, 11:04 AM - 1 Like   #2109
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

When a complex* material is burned, complex chemicals are generated in the smoke, many of them if not most untested as to their effects after chronic exposure for decades. Imprudent to inhale such smoke just for the fun of it.

*burn a simple material such as alcohol, or even a moderately complex one such as gasoline, most or all of the molecules in the smoke are known. Burn a complex material such as a leaf with hundreds of organic molecules, and what do you get in the smoke? Does anyone know them all for any plant? Is it safe to inhale smoke from burning leaves of black oak? Sycamore? Alder? Rubber tree? St. Johnswort? Giant hogweed? Poison hemlock? Poison ivy? Foxglove?
02-05-2020, 11:18 AM   #2110
Man With A Camera
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: The Great Pacific Northwet, in the Land Between Canada and Mexico

Are we afraid of being accused of thoughtcrime then?
02-05-2020, 11:37 AM - 1 Like   #2111
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by timb64 Quote
Good grief Norm,I now find myself agreeing with you!!
This has to stop... people are probably already talking.

One of my childhood acquaintances ended up in the Clark (mental hospital) and in the 4 years I knew his girl friend, never got out after a night of excessive smoking. You can't say the pot caused it 100%, but you also can't rule out the possibility it was a contributing factor.
02-05-2020, 12:09 PM - 1 Like   #2112
Senior Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Didn't we used to have a joke thread somewhere?
Whatever happened to that?
Judging by the last several pages this thread is clearly mislabeled so maybe it is time to close it.
02-05-2020, 12:17 PM - 3 Likes   #2113
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Parallax Quote
Didn't we used to have a joke thread somewhere?
Whatever happened to that?
Judging by the last several pages this thread is clearly mislabeled so maybe it is time to close it.
Oh, alright, back on topic.

What do you call a vegetable smoking weed?

A baked potato.
02-05-2020, 01:08 PM   #2114
Man With A Camera
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: The Great Pacific Northwet, in the Land Between Canada and Mexico
QuoteOriginally posted by bertwert Quote
Oh, alright, back on topic.

What do you call a vegetable smoking weed?

A baked potato.
Aren’t potatoes tubers?
02-05-2020, 01:14 PM   #2115
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Aren’t potatoes tubers?
The definition of a vegetable is the part of plant used for food. Tubers are a category of vegetables.