Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-22-2020, 04:50 AM - 1 Like   #2356
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Digitalis Quote

Finally, a currency we can all get behind.
Think of all the currency I've let go down the drain!

03-22-2020, 05:36 AM - 3 Likes   #2357
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
And some of us used to throw it on other people's houses.

In High school my friends and I had a game we would play at night where we would get a roll of TP, dip it in acetone..set it ablaze and kick it around to each other like a hackey sack.
03-22-2020, 06:01 AM   #2358
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

And some of us used to throw it on other people's houses.

In High school my friends and I had a game we would play at night where we would get a roll of TP, dip it in acetone..set it ablaze and kick it around to each other like a hackey sack.
It's amazing and disturbing the things young people, and I think especially guys, are willing to do "for the fun of it." We think back nostalgically to what we did or observed our peers doing when we were teenagers, but would we do that now? What would we think of other members of our cohort if they now did those "wild and crazy things" of our youth? Maturing - - are we glad or sorry of it?
03-22-2020, 06:25 AM - 1 Like   #2359
Pentaxian

My gosh ... the millions of dollars that I squandered in my youth at Tulsa while midnight "TP-ing" my friends and enemies homes.

Millions I tell you ... MILLIONS !!!

03-22-2020, 06:28 AM - 1 Like   #2360
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

compared to others in my class I was (good at appearing) pretty straight laced. Though there were worse things .. Even in my teenage years among my peers, there were those who were developing what would turn out to be lifelong substance abuse problems, and of course those merry few whom possessed the sensibilities of a basejumper with a leaden parachute. I suppose those are the people who don't pass evolution's great test: Survival of the fittest.
03-22-2020, 06:30 AM - 1 Like   #2361
Pentaxian

An oldie, but goodie ... a bit of lighter fuild on a brown paper containing dog doo ... light, ring doorbell, run & hide then laugh while it's being stamped out.

It was great "Okie" kid fun ... plus water ballooning passing cars.
03-22-2020, 06:48 AM - 5 Likes   #2362
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

ooh personal favorite prank, wallpapering a colleagues dorm room and everything in it entirely in aluminum foil. The kicker was that his phone wouldn't get any reception due to his shiny decor .

In my dorm there was a guy that was very reluctant to shower so to remedy this: I picked the lock to his room, I put some dry ice in a bucket of water, thew in a hearty splash of dishwashing detergent a few other chemicals and.... instant bubble maker!

I left it bubbling away in his room...when he opened his door a good half hour later only to get buried in an avalanche of bubbles was absolutely priceless.

03-22-2020, 07:05 AM - 4 Likes   #2363
Senior Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by WPRESTO Quote
Maturing - - are we glad or sorry of it?
I'll get back to you on that if I ever mature.
03-22-2020, 07:06 AM - 6 Likes   #2364
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

In my dorm there was a guy
Ahh yes, dorm living.

One year in residence (aka dorm) in the late 70's, the guy in the adjacent room played his music loud... VERY loud. Requests from his neighbours to turn it down fell on deaf ears. One evening I had had enough, and prepared to move to a study hall to finish my work. As I unplugged my calculator's AC adapter, I heard a distinct 'thunk' next door through the blaring music. Hmm...I plugged it back in and removed it... 'thunk'. Repeating this a dozen times in quick succession (thunk, thunk, thunk, thunk...) caused the guy to turn the volume down. No more thunks. Fifteen minutes later, he turned the volume up again. I repeated. Volume down. This continued for a few nights.

One day he asked me, the electrical engineer undergrad, what I thought the problem was. "Oh, it's probably the equalizing capacitor. It's going into self-feedback oscillations causing the audio amp splitter to reverse polarity through the bridge rectifier. Best to keep the volume down below 4, otherwise the pulses will leak to the other stereo components and the whole stereo system will be burnt out in no time." No more loud music after that.

I've never figured out how my little AC adapter was able to interfere with his system. On the same circuit, no doubt.

- Craig

Last edited by c.a.m; 03-22-2020 at 06:14 PM.
03-22-2020, 07:12 AM - 3 Likes   #2365
Veteran Member

In my dorm there was a guy that was very reluctant to shower so to remedy this: I picked the lock to his room, I put some dry ice in a bucket of water, thew in a hearty splash of dishwashing detergent a few other chemicals and.... instant bubble maker!
That is much more kind than the way it is usually done in the military. Wire brushes and cleanser with assistance from your squad mates.
03-22-2020, 07:31 AM - 1 Like   #2366
Veteran Member

Original Poster
compared to others in my class I was (good at appearing) pretty straight laced. Though there were worse things .. Even in my teenage years among my peers, there were those who were developing what would turn out to be lifelong substance abuse problems, and of course those merry few whom possessed the sensibilities of a basejumper with a leaden parachute. I suppose those are the people who don't pass evolution's great test: Survival of the fittest.
Though there were those who have a lifelong facial hair growing addiction as well...
03-22-2020, 07:35 AM - 1 Like   #2367
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by SSGGeezer Quote
That is much more kind than the way it is usually done in the military. Wire brushes and cleanser with assistance from your squad mates.
When I coached basketball in Northern Ontario often it was more than an hour bus ride home and no one wanted to sit beside the unwashed. Kids who refused to shower were often thrown in the shower by their mates with their clothes on. Although I never saw it actually happen, it was the tradition, and everyone knew about it. Enforcement by reputation.

Last edited by normhead; 03-22-2020 at 01:04 PM.
03-22-2020, 05:21 PM   #2368
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by WPRESTO Quote
It's amazing and disturbing the things young people, and I think especially guys, are willing to do "for the fun of it." We think back nostalgically to what we did or observed our peers doing when we were teenagers, but would we do that now? What would we think of other members of our cohort if they now did those "wild and crazy things" of our youth? Maturing - - are we glad or sorry of it?
We went through a stage where we tried to blow things up. We tried whatever chemical we could get our hands on. Sometimes, we got small explosions, sometimes lots of smoke. At other times large craters in the ground. Strangely, we all still have all our limbs. Although, my hearing is not what it used to be.
03-22-2020, 05:35 PM - 4 Likes   #2369
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by MarkJerling Quote
We went through a stage where we tried to blow things up.
I went through that phase, and it proved to be useful when we had major flooding in my area and an obstinate neighbor and his precious dam.

Five bags of fertilizer some choice chemicals, I made it rain frogs I tell you.
03-22-2020, 06:11 PM - 2 Likes   #2370
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by MarkJerling Quote
We went through a stage where we tried to blow things up. We tried whatever chemical we could get our hands on. Sometimes, we got small explosions, sometimes lots of smoke. At other times large craters in the ground. Strangely, we all still have all our limbs. Although, my hearing is not what it used to be.
My buddy made nitro glycerine with his chemistry set. As we were leaving his house the vibration of 7 guys going up the stairs set if off. One wall was pretty much destroy, but no one was injured. His "lab" was in the back corner of the basement and the stairs were in the front with two walls in between. My friend was denied further access to chemistry sets. If memory serves me well he was also denied access to grade 11 at our school, although we never found out the exact reason for that. He was definitely genius material. But totally out of control.

George... I always wondered what happened to you buddy. If you see this let me know.