couldn't get out bed. He called to his wife, "Honey, please look outside and
tell me if the
pigs are in the mud or in the field."

"Neither," reported his wife. "They're in the station wagon and one of them
is honking the horn."

09-29-2020, 02:35 AM - 6 Likes   #3167
bxf
Veteran Member

(I don't necessarily accept the veracity of the first paragraph, but, it is what it is...)

This is a bricklayer's accident report, which was printed in the newsletter of the Australian equivalent of the Workers' Compensation board. This is a true story. Had this guy died, he'd have received a Darwin Award for sure....

Dear Sir,

"I am writing in response to your request for additional information in Block 3 of the accident report form. I put "poor planning" as the cause
of my accident. You asked for a fuller explanation and I trust the following details will be sufficient.

I am a bricklayer by trade. On the day of the accident, I was working alone on the roof of a new six story building. When I completed my work, I found
that I had some bricks left over which, when weighed later were found to be slightly in excess of 500 lbs. Rather than carry the bricks down by hand, I
decided to lower them in a barrel by using a pulley, which was attached to the side of the building on the sixth floor.

Securing the rope at ground level, I went up to the roof, swung the barrel out and loaded the bricks into it. Then I went down and untied the rope,
holding it tightly to ensure a slow descent of the bricks. You will note in Block 11 of the accident report form that I weigh 135 lbs.

Due to my surprise at being jerked off the ground so suddenly, I lost my presence of mind and forgot to let go of the rope. Needless to say, I
proceeded at a rapid rate up the side of the building.

In the vicinity of the third floor, I met the barrel which was now proceeding downward at an equal, impressive speed. This explains the fractured skull,
inor abrasions and the broken collar bone, as listed in section 3 of the accident report form.

Slowed only slightly, I continued my rapid ascent, not stopping until the fingers of my right hand were two knuckles deep into the pulley. Fortunately by this time I had regained my presence of mind and was able to hold tightly to the rope, in spite of beginning to experience a great deal
of pain.

At approximately the same time, however, the barrel of bricks hit the ground and the bottom fell out of the barrel. Now devoid of the weight of the bricks,
that barrel weighed approximately 50 lbs. I refer you again to my weight.

As you can imagine, I began a rapid descent, down the side of the building. In the vicinity of the third floor, I met the barrel coming up. This accounts for
the two fractured ankles, broken tooth and several lacerations of my legs and lower body. Here my luck began to change slightly.

The encounter with the barrel seemed to slow me enough to lessen my injuries when I fell into the pile of bricks and fortunately only three vertebrae were cracked. I am sorry to report, however, as I lay there on the pile of bricks, in pain, unable to move, I again lost my composure and presence of mind and let go of the rope and I lay there watching the empty barrel begin its journey back down onto me. This explains the two broken legs.

I hope this answers my inquiry.

Micheli Watson
E-470 Public Highway Authority
303 537-3747
Fax 303 537-3471
Mwatson@e-470.com
09-29-2020, 02:48 AM - 3 Likes   #3168
Pentaxian

Gerard Hoffnung 1958 :

The Dubliners :

Did someone say there are no new jokes ?
09-29-2020, 05:19 AM - 4 Likes   #3169
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by bxf Quote
(I don't necessarily accept the veracity of the first paragraph, but, it is what it is...)

This is a bricklayer's accident report, which was printed in the newsletter of the Australian equivalent of the Workers' Compensation board. This is a true story. Had this guy died, he'd have received a Darwin Award for sure....
QuoteOriginally posted by 35mmfilmfan Quote
Gerard Hoffnung 1958 :

The Bricklayer's Lament - by Gerard Hoffnung - YouTube

The Dubliners :

the dubliners the sick note - YouTube

Did someone say there are no new jokes ?

I was going to say the story sounded familiar... but the song's already posted. However, I do prefer the Corries' version...

To keep on topic:
What's red and bad for your teeth?
A brick

09-29-2020, 05:28 AM - 3 Likes   #3170
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums

Dear Sir,

"I am writing in response to your request for additional information in Block 3 of the accident report form. I put "poor planning" as the cause
of my accident. You asked for a fuller explanation and I trust the following details will be sufficient.

I am a bricklayer by trade. On the day of the accident, I was working alone on the roof of a new six story building. When I completed my work, I found
that I had some bricks left over which, when weighed later were found to be slightly in excess of 500 lbs. Rather than carry the bricks down by hand, I
decided to lower them in a barrel by using a pulley, which was attached to the side of the building on the sixth floor.

Securing the rope at ground level, I went up to the roof, swung the barrel out and loaded the bricks into it. Then I went down and untied the rope,
holding it tightly to ensure a slow descent of the bricks. You will note in Block 11 of the accident report form that I weigh 135 lbs.

Due to my surprise at being jerked off the ground so suddenly, I lost my presence of mind and forgot to let go of the rope. Needless to say, I
proceeded at a rapid rate up the side of the building.

In the vicinity of the third floor, I met the barrel which was now proceeding downward at an equal, impressive speed. This explains the fractured skull,
inor abrasions and the broken collar bone, as listed in section 3 of the accident report form.

Slowed only slightly, I continued my rapid ascent, not stopping until the fingers of my right hand were two knuckles deep into the pulley. Fortunately by this time I had regained my presence of mind and was able to hold tightly to the rope, in spite of beginning to experience a great deal
of pain.

At approximately the same time, however, the barrel of bricks hit the ground and the bottom fell out of the barrel. Now devoid of the weight of the bricks,
that barrel weighed approximately 50 lbs. I refer you again to my weight.

As you can imagine, I began a rapid descent, down the side of the building. In the vicinity of the third floor, I met the barrel coming up. This accounts for
the two fractured ankles, broken tooth and several lacerations of my legs and lower body. Here my luck began to change slightly.

The encounter with the barrel seemed to slow me enough to lessen my injuries when I fell into the pile of bricks and fortunately only three vertebrae were cracked. I am sorry to report, however, as I lay there on the pile of bricks, in pain, unable to move, I again lost my composure and presence of mind and let go of the rope and I lay there watching the empty barrel begin its journey back down onto me. This explains the two broken legs.

I hope this answers my inquiry.

Micheli Watson
E-470 Public Highway Authority
303 537-3747
Fax 303 537-3471
Mwatson@e-470.com

Restaged on an episode of Myth Busters, the hapless "Buster" yanked up then dumped down. It took several tries to make it work, as the barrel did not break when it struck the ground on the first few trials.
09-29-2020, 07:01 AM - 6 Likes   #3171
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I began a rapid descent, down the side of the building
Reminds me of the definition of a true optimist.
A person who falls out of a 15 story building and as he passes each floor says "I'm doing okay so far!"
09-29-2020, 08:59 AM   #3172
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Have read this before bertwert like your version the best

09-29-2020, 09:11 AM - 6 Likes   #3173
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by bertwert Quote
A brick
What's white and interferes with your picnic? An avalanche.
09-29-2020, 12:50 PM - 1 Like   #3174
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by WPRESTO Quote
Restaged on an episode of Myth Busters, the hapless "Buster" yanked up then dumped down. It took several tries to make it work, as the barrel did not break when it struck the ground on the first few trials.
De lads obviously did not use a Guinness barrel - dat stuff'll eat thru anyting. I hope dey used a porter to carry it.
09-29-2020, 12:51 PM - 8 Likes   #3175
Pentaxian

Is an ignoramus the only species of dinosaur that never died out ?
09-29-2020, 03:33 PM - 8 Likes   #3176
Senior Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by 35mmfilmfan Quote
Is an ignoramus the only species of dinosaur that never died out ?
The species is flourishing. There's a very large herd in Washington D.C.
09-29-2020, 05:11 PM - 3 Likes   #3177
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Parallax Quote
The species is flourishing. There's a very large herd in Washington D.C.
Also in Ottawa.
09-29-2020, 07:22 PM - 2 Likes   #3178
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
This is a very old line, almost certainly posted on this thread at least once:

When the 90 year old lady was asked why she had never voted, she replied "It only encourages them."
09-29-2020, 07:39 PM   #3179
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by bertwert Quote
I was going to say the story sounded familiar... but the song's already posted. However, I do prefer the Corries' version...

The Corries-The Bricklayer's Song-live-Lyrics - YouTube

To keep on topic:
A brick
When Roy met Ronnie and they started to sing something truly wonderful came about.
09-29-2020, 08:44 PM - 2 Likes   #3180
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by WPRESTO Quote
This is a very old line, almost certainly posted on this thread at least once:

When the 90 year old lady was asked why she had never voted, she replied "It only encourages them."
There's a similar old line from Billy Connolly (?), that the very desire to become a politician should exclude you from the role!