Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 18776 Likes Search this Thread
03-04-2021, 08:37 AM - 4 Likes   #3751
Senior Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by WPRESTO Quote
Two things come to mind:
1) if she had won the suit, cinder-block makers would need to apply a warning about not swimming while carrying their product.
2) It might have been safer if the glue company had put on the following warning: "Not for use by idiots."
3) Nothing can be idiot proof if the idiot is determined enough.

03-04-2021, 08:40 AM - 1 Like   #3752
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by bigdavephoto Quote
About the woman and McDonalds, part of what you said is a myth. I looked into it one day because I was board and curious.

The woman was with her grandson, her grand son was driving. This also happened in the 70's before cars had cup holders. They went through the drive through and she did place the cup of coffee between her legs. The boy turned into a parking space bumping the curb causing the lid to pop off and splash onto her. She was wearing cotton sweat pants and she could not unbuckle and get out of the car fast enough.

They went to the hospital and she ended up with 2ed and 3rd degree burns. She contacted that McD not the corporation and asked them to pay for the hospital bills and ,of course they refused. So she had to file a lawsuit.

During the investigation into the case, her lawyer found out that the health department had given that McD's several warnings about the temperature of the coffee. Apparently, the coffee is to be served between 160 and 170 degrees. That franchise was serving the coffee at 200+ degrees.

We all know, she won her case. This is where it gets funny. The original hospital bills she wanted the franchise to pay was less then $20,000. As I think about it, the bills might have been less then $10,000. In the end, that franchise had to pay the woman $700,000 dollars and all that franchise had to do was turn down the coffee machine which would have prevented all of this from happening.
You left out one critical element. At the time MacDonalds was giving away a free second cup, and the hot coffee was a deliberate corporate strategy trying to ensure the coffee was too hot to drink so customers didn't come back for a second cup. There was clear evidence from internal memo's that McDonald's made a lot of money from this strategy and put their customers at risk just to make money. Hence the large settlement. It was the internal memos that turned the case from an argument for hospital costs, to one involving punitive damages

Last edited by normhead; 03-04-2021 at 08:45 AM.
03-04-2021, 08:51 AM   #3753
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by normhead Quote
You left out one critical element. At the time MacDonalds was giving away a free second cup, and the hot coffee was a deliberate corporate strategy trying to ensure the coffee was too hot to drink so customers didn't come back for a second cup. There was clear evidence from internal memo's that McDonald's made a lot of money from this strategy and put their customers at risk just to make money. Hence the large settlement. It was the internal memos that turned the case from an argument for hospital costs, to one involving punitive damages
That wasn't in the case report I read. Was that what McD's was doing? Possible but as I said, was not in the case report I read.
03-04-2021, 11:16 AM   #3754
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

About the woman and McDonalds, part of what you said is a myth. I looked into it one day because I was board and curious.

The woman was with her grandson, her grand son was driving. This also happened in the 70's before cars had cup holders. They went through the drive through and she did place the cup of coffee between her legs. The boy turned into a parking space bumping the curb causing the lid to pop off and splash onto her. She was wearing cotton sweat pants and she could not unbuckle and get out of the car fast enough.

They went to the hospital and she ended up with 2ed and 3rd degree burns. She contacted that McD not the corporation and asked them to pay for the hospital bills and ,of course they refused. So she had to file a lawsuit.

During the investigation into the case, her lawyer found out that the health department had given that McD's several warnings about the temperature of the coffee. Apparently, the coffee is to be served between 160 and 170 degrees. That franchise was serving the coffee at 200+ degrees.

We all know, she won her case. This is where it gets funny. The original hospital bills she wanted the franchise to pay was less then $20,000. As I think about it, the bills might have been less then $10,000. In the end, that franchise had to pay the woman $700,000 dollars and all that franchise had to do was turn down the coffee machine which would have prevented all of this from happening.
EGAD! I have been the victim of fake news! Hoisted by my own petard!

03-04-2021, 01:08 PM   #3755
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by WPRESTO Quote
EGAD! I have been the victim of fake news! Hoisted by my own petard!
At the heart of the story lies a failure of imagination. The twist is that it seems to have stimulated the imagination of others.
03-04-2021, 01:53 PM - 2 Likes   #3756
Pentaxian

That wasn't in the case report I read. Was that what McD's was doing? Possible but as I said, was not in the case report I read.
One of my clients, the Chief Operating Officer of a major corporation went to a presentation by the lawyer who won the case. The guy was brought in for a presentation to upper management.
03-07-2021, 03:11 AM - 13 Likes   #3757
Pentaxian

Random finds off of FB ... at least the first one is related to photography ...

Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
 Photo 
View Picture EXIF
 Photo 
View Picture EXIF
 Photo   
03-07-2021, 11:48 AM - 6 Likes   #3758
Pentaxian

What is the difference between broccoli and boogers?

You can’t get kids to eat broccoli!!!!
03-07-2021, 12:31 PM - 2 Likes   #3759
Pentaxian

Safe enough here :
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
D2303  Photo 
03-07-2021, 04:18 PM   #3760
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by 35mmfilmfan Quote
Safe enough here :
Now that sign is not in Norfolk , is it ? I ask, only because some of my ancestors are from that fine area.
03-07-2021, 04:43 PM - 2 Likes   #3761
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by lesmore49 Quote
Now that sign is not in Norfolk , is it ? I ask, only because some of my ancestors are from that fine area.
Yes indeed - Normal for Norfolk is alive and well !
03-07-2021, 08:25 PM - 1 Like   #3762
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by 35mmfilmfan Quote
Yes indeed - Normal for Norfolk is alive and well !
Normal for Norfolk !!
03-08-2021, 01:25 AM - 1 Like   #3763
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by lesmore49 Quote
Normal for Norfolk !!
My wife trained as a nurse in Norwich back when political correctness wasn’t a thing.

The abbreviation NFN was frequently used on the doctors’ notes to describe patients who weren’t perhaps the sharpest knife in the drawer!
03-08-2021, 01:41 AM - 1 Like   #3764
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by timb64 Quote
My wife trained as a nurse in Norwich back when political correctness wasn’t a thing.

The abbreviation NFN was frequently used on the doctors’ notes to describe patients who weren’t perhaps the sharpest knife in the drawer!
The version of that with which I am more familiar is "not the sharpest tool in the toolbox"
03-08-2021, 03:07 AM - 1 Like   #3765
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by timb64 Quote
<snip>
To some of our older residents, foreigners begin at Suffolk !