Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-11-2021, 12:18 PM - 1 Like   #4351
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Racer X 69 Quote
Tiny Lund, stock car journeyman race car driver, RIP, was a huge man.

I remember him, He was a huge man. Think he was the same weight as heavyweight champion Tyson Fury. Tiny got his first ride for saving another driver and didn't Tiny win that race, the Daytona 500 ?

10-11-2021, 12:44 PM - 2 Likes   #4352
Man With A Camera
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: The Great Pacific Northwet, in the Land Between Canada and Mexico
Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by lesmore49 Quote
I remember him, He was a huge man. Think he was the same weight as heavyweight champion Tyson Fury. Tiny got his first ride for saving another driver and didn't Tiny win that race, the Daytona 500 ?
At 6’ 5” and 275 lbs he was a giant. Certainly not typical of race car drivers who tend to be smaller (5’ 5” to 6’).

Tiny had raced quite a bit, usually finding one off rides here and there. But in 1963 he went down to Daytona for the 500, but wasn’t having much luck finding a ride.

The following is from Wikipedia, describing that race:

QuoteQuote:
In February 1963, Lund went to Daytona International Speedway shopping around for any ride in that year's Daytona 500. Lund's friend Marvin Panch, the driver for the Wood Brothers racing team, had an accident while testing an experimental Ford-powered Maserati for the Daytona Continental three-hour sportscar race (a precursor to the 24 Hours of Daytona). When Panch's car burst into flames, Lund ran into the inferno and pulled Panch out of the wreckage. For his actions, Lund was awarded the Carnegie Hero's Medal.

Panch, in hospital, asked Lund to take his ride in the Wood Brothers Racing entry. Lund was fourth fastest in individual qualifying trials, and finished sixth in the second qualifying race, starting the race from 12th on the grid.

The start of the race was delayed due to heavy rains, and then the first 10 laps were run under caution. As the green flag waved, Lund worked his way through the field. The Wood Brothers team had a winning strategy for the race – they planned to complete the race on one fuel stop less than the field. Lund managed to take the lead very late in the race. Lorenzen passed Lund with 10 laps left to go, but ran out of gas and had to make a pit stop. Then Ned Jarrett made the pass on Lund for the top spot but with three laps to go he also ran out of gas. Lund's car ran out of fuel on the final lap, but he managed to coast home to win the 1963 Daytona 500.
10-11-2021, 02:06 PM - 1 Like   #4353
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I worked for a school photography company a few years back and saw some very strange names. Reportedly there were two siblings in a family who's names phonetically were, la-maan-gelo and oh-ran-gelo. The spellings were: Lemonjello and Orangejello. Another name was "La-a" pronounced La Dash Ah and another was IHOP, having nothing t do with pancakes just the creation of the child, it was an anagram for "In Heat Of Passion." Then there was the one pronounced "shi-they-ed" spelled sh*thead.

That wasn't the only place I heard of strange names. I also worked in the medical field and a psychiatrist told me that he had worked in an area with a high indigent population and once suggested to a mother she give her child the name "placenta." Another from a clinician working in a foreign country included "Female" pronounced fe mahley.
10-13-2021, 12:42 PM - 1 Like   #4354
Pentaxian

Again with the late great Terry Pratchett, in 'Night Watch' there is a character named 'Legitimate First'. The explanation given was : 'Well, you can't blame a mother for being proud !'

10-13-2021, 02:15 PM - 6 Likes   #4355
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
At the beginning of each October I find a suitable stone and carry it around in my pocket.
If I hear someone singing Christmas songs during the month, I throw it at them.
I call it (drum roll please) my Jingle Bell Rock.
10-13-2021, 02:23 PM - 2 Likes   #4356
Man With A Camera
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by robtcorl Quote
At the beginning of each October I find a suitable stone and carry it around in my pocket.
If I hear someone singing Christmas songs during the month, I throw it at them.
I call it (drum roll please) my Jingle Bell Rock.
I like it!

In fact, I’m gonna do it and keep it up through the end of November.
10-13-2021, 03:44 PM - 2 Likes   #4357
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Do deviled eggs come from naughty chickens?

10-13-2021, 09:00 PM - 3 Likes   #4358
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Do bad dogs go to eternal dalmation?
If one pear is a pear, what's a 1/2 of a pear?
If there is a woman out there who likes the metric system, I'd sure like to meter
Poetry about crime has its' prose and cons
Chevrolet honored a great man of history, Dracula, when they made the.... IMPALER
If I teach you about the states of matter, is that doing you a solid?
I was told there is a group here for CYNICS. Oh yeah, I'm so sure. I bet theres like fifty of em
There was a woman on TV playing Lizzie Borden, but she was a hack
My friend Bob isn't too bright. He's studying a car made in Mexico, he said he's reverse engineering alien technology
My doctor told me to eat a can of alphabet soup every day till I have a vowel movement
I was sent to Reno NV to film a man who makes retro tiedye shirts. Yes, I shot a man in Reno just to watch him dye
I don't plan anything. I thought a bucket list was a receipt from KFC
I was at a mortuary with many display caskets all on wheeled platforms each with a bottle of cough syrup under each wheel. I asked about it, they said the floor is slanted and this was the only thing that can stop the coffin
I see a therepist at the zoo. Every time I go, he keeps mentioning what about the elephant in the room
Bert: Ernie, do you like me? Ernie: SHERBERT
Only Catholic photons have mass
If you can't spell and your over 30, then your in big trouble
If you don't win the spelling bee, then you loose.
The last person I razzed about bad spelling, I put them in a comma
Did you hear about the bad speller? He got sick and fell into a comma
I skipped my trig class COS I thought its no SIN to get a TAN
When making butter, there's no margarine for error
I keep making clothing for nuns. Its a habit of mine
If a team that installs safes has one white guy, he's called the safecracker
Do people with tinnitus need earrings?
Dislodge: what you do at the end of ski season
Does a duck ever hit his head?
A person who helps you play the trumpet is called a tooter
I looked at a braille book once. I can't read it so I just looked at the pictures
What brand of wood does Johnny Carson put in his fireplace? Monolog (c)
10-14-2021, 04:54 AM   #4359
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by jack002 Quote
Do bad dogs go to eternal dalmation?
If one pear is a pear, what's a 1/2 of a pear?
If there is a woman out there who likes the metric system, I'd sure like to meter
Poetry about crime has its' prose and cons
Chevrolet honored a great man of history, Dracula, when they made the.... IMPALER
If I teach you about the states of matter, is that doing you a solid?
I was told there is a group here for CYNICS. Oh yeah, I'm so sure. I bet theres like fifty of em
There was a woman on TV playing Lizzie Borden, but she was a hack
My friend Bob isn't too bright. He's studying a car made in Mexico, he said he's reverse engineering alien technology
My doctor told me to eat a can of alphabet soup every day till I have a vowel movement
I was sent to Reno NV to film a man who makes retro tiedye shirts. Yes, I shot a man in Reno just to watch him dye
I don't plan anything. I thought a bucket list was a receipt from KFC
I was at a mortuary with many display caskets all on wheeled platforms each with a bottle of cough syrup under each wheel. I asked about it, they said the floor is slanted and this was the only thing that can stop the coffin
I see a therepist at the zoo. Every time I go, he keeps mentioning what about the elephant in the room
Bert: Ernie, do you like me? Ernie: SHERBERT
Only Catholic photons have mass
If you can't spell and your over 30, then your in big trouble
If you don't win the spelling bee, then you loose.
The last person I razzed about bad spelling, I put them in a comma
Did you hear about the bad speller? He got sick and fell into a comma
I skipped my trig class COS I thought its no SIN to get a TAN
When making butter, there's no margarine for error
I keep making clothing for nuns. Its a habit of mine
If a team that installs safes has one white guy, he's called the safecracker
Do people with tinnitus need earrings?
Dislodge: what you do at the end of ski season
Does a duck ever hit his head?
A person who helps you play the trumpet is called a tooter
I looked at a braille book once. I can't read it so I just looked at the pictures
What brand of wood does Johnny Carson put in his fireplace? Monolog (c)
Where is the GROAN emoji????
10-14-2021, 06:04 AM - 1 Like   #4360
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

When the USA attempted to convert to the Metric system, people warned that if you give them the inch they'll take the mile.

BTW: Observing that pathetic effort, it was clear from the outset that they did not have the foggiest idea how to get Americans to accept the change.
10-14-2021, 06:30 AM   #4361
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by WPRESTO Quote
When the USA attempted to convert to the Metric system, people warned that if you give them the inch they'll take the mile.

BTW: Observing that pathetic effort, it was clear from the outset that they did not have the foggiest idea how to get Americans to accept the change.
It's OK, we changed to get ahead of you, you never made it to the finish line but we did. Thanks for the incentive.
10-14-2021, 06:47 AM - 3 Likes   #4362
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by normhead Quote
It's OK, we changed to get ahead of you, you never made it to the finish line but we did. Thanks for the incentive.
I have posted this observation several times, but it annoys me so much I'll put it here again. They tried teaching kids to understand and accept the Metric System, and if that school-based effort had succeeded those kids would now be elderly adults and would find the old English system pathetically absurd. What was the pedagogical method? First teach them the English system, and when they mastered that, teach them how to convert to metric. Never was a school curriculum so well designed for complete failure.
10-14-2021, 07:03 AM - 1 Like   #4363
Man With A Camera
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by normhead Quote
Don’t you still use lumber dimensioned with inches and feet?
10-14-2021, 07:14 AM - 4 Likes   #4364
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Indeed - and I measure my height in feet and weight in pounds.

Price labels in the store are per lb, but at the checkout is charged per kg.

What else? Land is in acres.

Distance isn't measured in metric or imperial - it's measured in time units.

We're a very metric country up here
10-14-2021, 07:45 AM - 1 Like   #4365
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

We can buy 4x8 foot x 3/4 inch plywood sheets, or other panels measured as 4x8 x 5.2 mm, or some 48 x 96 inches x 3mm, and so it goes. Remember to bring your measuring tape and round the thickness to the nearest 1/16th (of an inch).

- Craig

Last edited by c.a.m; 10-14-2021 at 08:12 AM.