Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 2 Likes Search this Thread
01-24-2016, 02:36 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Any Pentaxian here are colorblind?

How does it feel like not being able to see the full color spectrum during a photo session? Just asking because my father wants a DSLR and he's colorblind.

01-24-2016, 02:41 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I am

Red-Green color deficient to be exact. It's not a huge issue in daily life, however since I'm determine to process all my images from RAW, that includes WB. I literally cannot see when the WB is too green or when skin tones don't look right. I get a 90-95% solution most of the time (which appears 100% to me), especially in images that aren't critical, however for my paid shoots (portraiture and wedding), I rely very heavily on my wife to ensure the colors are accurate. She can yell at me until she's blue in the face and say "the temperature is too green!" and I literally can't fix the slider without going too blue or yellow or whatever in the other direction. I also don't understand the difference between temperature and tint, much less be able to see the difference.

It hasn't been an issue occupationally as a soldier, however for certain jobs in the military I'm automatically disqualified. A lot of people are surprised that I initially commissioned as a lieutenant in the engineers, specifically focusing on combat engineering (explosives).

Like I said, in daily life it's not an issue (except when I was a kid and completely mismatched the hell out of my clothing - now I stick to blues and greens for pretty much everything as my wife insists it's best for my skin tone and hair/eye color lol), and yes when my annoying friends ask me what colors are, I can point out that yellow bus or red car or blue shovel or my gold- and red-ringed Pentax lenses. But I joke and say that I'm good with everything until street lights are turned sideways/horizontally, at which point I can't tell which are STOP and which are GO

So yea...I am

-Heie

Last edited by Heie; 01-24-2016 at 02:51 PM.
01-24-2016, 02:45 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Heie Quote
I am

Red-Green color deficient to be exact. It's not a huge issue in daily life, however since I'm determine to process all my images from RAW, that includes WB. I literally cannot see when the WB is too green or when skin tones don't look right. I get a 90% solution most of up time
Wow! I've seen your photos, you'd be one of the last that I would imagine being color blind. Your photos are fantastic to the non-color blinded eyes.
01-24-2016, 02:55 PM - 1 Like   #4
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Heie Quote
for certain jobs in the military I'm automatically disqualified...specifically focusing on combat engineering (explosives).
I said cut the GREEN wire! The GREEN ONE!!!

01-24-2016, 03:36 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Me too. I found it out during my pre-induction physical. They showed pictures of several colored dots and asked what number I saw. In some cases, I saw one and in others I didn't. The corporal told me I was partially color blind. I asked if that was a problem and he laughed: "Naw, they'll put you in an unarmed spotter plane and have you identify camouflaged areas." Yeah I was ecstatic about the unarmed part. My brother-in-law is severely color blind. The only way he can tell the difference between a green light and a red light is by which one is lit.

But being color blind has no effect on one's ability to take great pictures, unless of course you are asked to take pictures of a specific color.
01-25-2016, 07:30 AM   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Few people are totally color blind. Some degree of color blindness is actually quite common.

When I started work at Grumman I was given a test wherein I had to separate different colored wire conductors from a cable.
Based on my performance they told me that I had the type of color blindness most common among men.

Who knew? I still see all colors, and it hasn't affected my life in any "perceptible" way...

Chris
01-25-2016, 08:23 AM   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

At one of the photography institutes I have taught at there have been darkroom students that were colour blind - One particularly memorable example was a male student that always produced flat, low contrast prints*. I could see that he had a difficult time working out which contrast filter to use with variable contrast papers. As a solution I taught him print developing techniques for controlling image contrast, he could use the same filter in his enlarger and vary the print contrast with developer chemistry. This helped him considerably with developing his years worth of portfolio work.

*The lecturer of the class was one of those all too green, just out of university insufferable "artsy" types. He simply thought that was this particular students "style" of printing rather than it being symptomatic of colour blindness.

01-25-2016, 08:53 AM   #8
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by ChrisPlatt Quote
Few people are totally color blind. Some degree of color blindness is actually quite common.

When I started work at Grumman I was given a test wherein I had to separate different colored wire conductors from a cable.
Based on my performance they told me that I had the type of color blindness most common among men.

Who knew? I still see all colors, and it hasn't affected my life in any "perceptible" way...

Chris
I'm like this guy. And for me, sometimes I think dark blue or grey is green, but ti's rarely a factor.
01-31-2016, 04:02 PM - 1 Like   #9
Veteran Member

I am color blind...i get blue/purple and red/green mixed up. I always have to be sure to have a white balance card or something else i know is neutral in the scene. If it is something I will display, i have to get my wife's second opinion to make sure the skin tones are alright.
02-14-2016, 03:18 PM   #10
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

The last thing you would ever want to hear in a bomb disposal unit:

QuoteOriginally posted by alamo5000 Quote
I said cut the GREEN wire!
But sir, they are all green!