Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-30-2016, 03:39 PM   #16
Veteran Member

I don't know anything about violins but that's a fine looking instrument. If it were a left-handed guitar I'd buy it from you.

---------- Post added 01-30-16 at 05:42 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by WPRESTO Quote
Also V-A-V what makes a violin sound good. The skill of the maker doing the final shaping of the sounding board using thumb planes, the precise way the wood has been thinned, how much and where, profoundly impact how the violin, well, "sings." Good instruments will fill the largest concert halls effortlessly.
The skill of the violinist is a factor as well.

01-30-2016, 03:46 PM   #17
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by MPrince Quote
The skill of the violinist is a factor as well.
Are you sure? I thought they were like cameras, where the quality of the output is completely dependent on the price of the camera.
01-31-2016, 08:06 AM   #18
Pentaxian

Just my 2 cents: If it was repaired before than someone thought it was worth repairing in the first place rather then chucking it out.
01-31-2016, 09:47 AM   #19
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Not a Number Quote
Just my 2 cents: If it was repaired before than someone thought it was worth repairing in the first place rather then chucking it out.
That had occurred to me, and it's probably a good point.

01-31-2016, 10:05 AM   #20
Pentaxian

Hey Edgar_In_Indy, You might try taking it to Florek's Violin & Music Shop 8254 E Washington St, Indianapolis, IN . They might be able to give you an idea of who made it and what the value might be.
01-31-2016, 10:16 AM   #21
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by bigdavephoto Quote
Hey Edgar_In_Indy, You might try taking it to Florek's Violin & Music Shop 8254 E Washington St, Indianapolis, IN . They might be able to give you an idea of who made it and what the value might be.
I might just do that. Thanks!
01-31-2016, 03:41 PM   #22
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Edgar_in_Indy Quote
Are you sure? I thought they were like cameras, where the quality of the output is completely dependent on the price of the camera.
The quality of sound improves from the instrument gets better the older it is - this is why instruments from the 1700's can cost millions. Most of the oldest Violins are owned by banks ( because they are the only people can can afford to insure them).
01-31-2016, 03:59 PM   #23
Pentaxian

You never know what you might find in a forgotten closet:

Stolen Stradivarius Violin Found in Venice Home 35 Years After It Disappeared | KTLA

02-01-2016, 04:34 AM   #24
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I would keep it. I don't play but one of my daughters does. We bought her that violin way back in high school. It's still around. She has purchased a couple of new ones since but she still has the old one and it occasionally gets some playing time. I would try to find an honest repair guy to look it over. If nothing else, it will look fine on the mantle.