Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-03-2008, 01:28 AM   #1

My site is up!

Hey there you guys,

So it's been a long time coming, but my site has now reached Beta 2.7 , there are still some things in the works. So some things aren't finished or polished.

As of right now I still need to populate it with photos and info, but at least it's up.
Any comments would be great.
Also, feel free to recommend ideas, tips, edits, etc.

Here it is:
Robert S. Irwin Photography

Thanks
Bob

Aslo, I would like to say a special thanks to Roentarre.
His website was the main inspiration for this design.
A little free promotion is the least I can do (I'll be putting a link to your site in mine coming soon (if that is ok with you)).
James Wei :: Photography

07-03-2008, 06:26 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I like the layout... clean, but not boring. The only thing that I'm not sure about is the black bar at the top of the image (e.g.: the industrial photo.) I think it might be more effective if that were left off.
07-03-2008, 07:14 PM   #3
Veteran Member

pretty slick work Bob!
maybe with the horizontal lines, you can truncate then a bit, because on higher resolution monitors they go all the way across the screen
07-03-2008, 10:11 PM   #4

Original Poster
Thanks for the comments you guys.

- The black bar is actually the top of my border, but it does look a little funky on that picture.

- I'm actually running a 1920 x 1200 res screen. We kept the lines going through out the whole back ground to keep it netural with the rest of the site. If we cut them short and just left basic white on the sides, I think the contrast would be to much for some. Do you think they would look better shortned even with the white? Then again we could cut them short and just add a light gray as a back ground or the like.

Thanks
Bob

07-06-2008, 04:28 PM   #5
Veteran Member

sorry, i forgot to reply explaining the comment more
my thought was that the solid white lines that go across are kind of distracting.
if you maybe cut them off at the sides and border the main content with gray (not white) that might work? ... but just my opinion

good luck with your site
07-06-2008, 04:32 PM   #6
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Drop the music.
07-12-2008, 12:41 PM   #7

Original Poster
Hey there you guys,

We made some changes to the site, so hopefully it's a little better now. The music is still there however
Were still having some trouble with the host, so don't mind the speed if it's slow.

C&C are welcome as always.
Thanks
Bob

07-22-2008, 02:34 AM   #8
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Site is nce, good colours. Server is sloooowwww though (you definitely need a new host).

As has been said, drop the music. I detest nothing more than to be listening to music whist browsing and having something come blaring in from a web site. Wouldn't be helping the bandwidth issues either.
07-22-2008, 03:03 PM   #9
Damn Brit

To me, the fact that you have nothing in your 'about' section but a message saying that one day there might be something, is a real turn off to me. I don't think you can really appreciate someone's art unless you know something about them. This is particularly important if you want to sell your work. You have to sell yourself as well as your art. It becomes much more personal and helps form a connection between you and your prospective buyers. People buy when they have an emotional attachment to something.
Gary
07-22-2008, 09:06 PM   #10
Veteran Member

Oops, I had missed this thread!

I am flattered that you took note of my site and your starting framework of the site is quite pleasing. I really enjoyed it myself.

With time, the photography port folio will start to build up. Keep up the good work. Sometimes, building your own port folio on line can be so addictive.

07-27-2008, 02:38 PM   #11

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by blwnhr Quote
Site is nice, good colors. Server is sloooowwww though (you definitely need a new host).

As has been said, drop the music. I detest nothing more than to be listening to music whist browsing and having something come blaring in from a web site. Wouldn't be helping the bandwidth issues either.
Thanks for the comments. I've been having mixed reviews about the music. Honestly more people have preferred it, which was a complete surprise to me. I've set the start up volume really low, at about 15%, is it really blaring when it comes on? Also, does the music really throw you off of the site, even though it only plays once and for less then a minute? Thanks for your opinion.

QuoteOriginally posted by Damn Brit Quote
To me, the fact that you have nothing in your 'about' section but a message saying that one day there might be something, is a real turn off to me. I don't think you can really appreciate someone's art unless you know something about them. This is particularly important if you want to sell your work. You have to sell yourself as well as your art. It becomes much more personal and helps form a connection between you and your prospective buyers. People buy when they have an emotional attachment to something.
Gary
I agree completely and unfortunately I haven't gotten around to filling out the pages yet. However that is on the top of my to do list. Thanks for the concern.

QuoteOriginally posted by roentarre Quote
Oops, I had missed this thread!

I am flattered that you took note of my site and your starting framework of the site is quite pleasing. I really enjoyed it myself.

With time, the photography port folio will start to build up. Keep up the good work. Sometimes, building your own port folio on line can be so addictive.

Thanks roentarre, I was starting to wonder if you detested it lol. It's good to hear your flattered by it. I'll be posting a link from my site to yours in the near future, it's the least I can do.

Thanks for the comments,
Bob