Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 15 Likes Search this Thread
01-31-2016, 10:59 AM   #1
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
B&H Workers Rise Up

Today January 31 at 3pm, more than 50 workers from the flagship store of B&H Photo at 34th St. and 9th Ave. will demand an end to dangerous and discriminatory working conditions inside the store.

https://www.facebook.com/events/1564609780530812/

01-31-2016, 11:16 AM - 1 Like   #2
Veteran Member

Or they could just get jobs more to their liking. I've done that a number of times in my working life.
01-31-2016, 11:29 AM   #3
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by MPrince Quote
Or they could just get jobs more to their liking. I've done that a number of times in my working life.
That's the cowards solution. I admit to having done it myself but that doesn't change the fact that it's lazy to avoid the conflict and pass the buck to the next person who takes your job. Way better and more responsible to act to try to fix the problem. If it fails the option of looking for a new job remains.
01-31-2016, 11:46 AM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Is there more backstory to the "dangerous and discriminatory working conditions'?

01-31-2016, 11:48 AM   #5

QuoteOriginally posted by civiletti Quote
Today January 31 at 3pm, more than 50 workers from the flagship store of B&H Photo at 34th St. and 9th Ave. will demand an end to dangerous and discriminatory working conditions inside the store.

https://www.facebook.com/events/1564609780530812/
Reading their Facebook post this sounds like a union trying to get into the game. There are plenty of laws re: safe work conditions and they could report if true. But it is telling they give no details. They slipped up toward the end and tossed out the "justice" card.
01-31-2016, 11:51 AM   #6
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
There have been newspaper articles about this 'labor action' and the B&H response to it off and on since last summer.
01-31-2016, 12:09 PM   #7
Veteran Member

Been discussed at some length here already: B&H.

01-31-2016, 01:07 PM   #8
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
The posts on the link don't tell you much, other than the rally on 31 January, and the language used is pretty standard to anyone used to dealing with disputes. I've seen these things from both sides of the fence, and I never rush to conclusions about them. If the number 50 is accurate, then I'd be thinking there is a genuine grievance at the core of this. Contented workers don't get stirred up over nothing, and labour unions usually operate in the background when things are going well. This doesn't mean B&H are a bad employer, but sometimes management can take their eye off the ball.
02-01-2016, 05:11 PM   #9
Veteran Member

I'm not sure what is going on. But another way to think of it. I work in a right to work state. That means the right to be fired. It has nothing to do with the employee but the employer.

And to let you know I have been seriously hurt on a job of course they covered it up. There will be bay Sayers on that. But most likely I won't give the details. Just that I was poisoned and died and brought back to life but it was hushed up.

But I do not u detest and unions other than what I have been taught " welfare for the mafia ".

I welcome further education on it.
02-01-2016, 07:22 PM   #10
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Do you guys think that more people will shop at Adorama more?
02-01-2016, 07:42 PM - 1 Like   #11
Forum Member

Surely many of us remember the days when trying to buy a camera from one of the big NYC houses was a horror. Bait and switch, sold only with these accessories which will cost a fortune, etc, etc. It was as big a problem for the magazines like Pop and Modern Photography, since the stores were their income streams, and the readers their audience.

Many people found their experiences justification for their anti-Semitism. Most of them were Jewish owned.

It's been decades since I've reluctantly dealt with those stores. Some years later now pop up B&H and Adorama. From a consumer side, 100% reputable. I've never seen a legitimate bad review of these major players. I use both. And obviously Jewish owned by the shutting down for Shabbat. Good for them.

That doesn't mean things couldn't be better for the employees. I'm guessing that both companies have at least ten times the fifty walking out employees. It takes a lot of guts to participate in a walk out, even if company owners no longer call in the National Guard or Wackenhut. Learn about women and children killed in the Ludlow Massacre: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ludlow_Massacre

American Jews have a long history supporting the labor movement, yet it sounds like B&H are not looking for solutions. This is an interesting situation which I will try to learn more.

Overall, I am pro-union. But I learned a long time ago that companies that really work hard to have good relationships with their employees seldom see a union rep darken their door ways.
02-01-2016, 07:55 PM - 2 Likes   #12
Pentaxian

These days, dangerous and discriminatory means they are probably expected to do some real work.

Sorry guys. I read the earlier reports and conditions at B&H aren't different than any other warehouse in the country.
02-01-2016, 07:58 PM   #13
Veteran Member

I'm on the other side and I am very interested in hearing it too.

I've never been unionized if you don't like it leave. But it is not apples to apples. I did not like it so I joined the army sent myself to college came back and I guess eventually bought a nice camera.

I never demanded more for my hourly rate. I just bettered myself and moved on.

---------- Post added 02-01-16 at 11:13 PM ----------

Even now secretly. I don't say hey how about a raise. I just interview at another place. I'm pretty sure my hourly rate is abve Union stuff. Even if it isn't what I do is secret. It actually limits me.

I kid you not. What do you do? " I can't tell you what I do I can't even say the company I work for ".

Yeah. I am serious.
But I don't have to interact with unions.

I kid you not. I am not allowed to say what I do or even the company I work for.
02-02-2016, 06:47 AM - 1 Like   #14
Veteran Member

I've been a member of two unions and worked for one of them as an International Rep. I've also been a member of management. Every story has two sides. Some times one side is right while the other is wrong, and sometimes it's the reverse. There are even times when both sides are right.

Many times, safety issues can be easily addressed with minimum cost. Other monetary issues however, such as pay increases and benefits will ultimately be passed on to the consumer. Don't forget too that due to union dues, wages will have to be increased to cover that cost, since the employees aren't going to accept losing pay to gain union bargaining. So it is a simple economics fact, prices will rise, or other cost cutting methods will be instituted, such as restocking fees. Are you willing to pay a few dollars more for items at B&H over what their competitors charge to cover the costs of wage and benefit gains? Given the service I've received there in the past, I am, and have bought items from them I could have bought elsewhere cheaper because I trusted B&H more. But many people won't. The lion's share of people live by their wallet. So if B&H has to raise prices to cover contract costs, they stand to lose sales, and it's a double whammy on the lively hood and bottom line of the company. And of course, whatever negatively effects the company, ultimately effects the employees. Depending on demands, down the road one of two things can occur: B&H closes shop or moves to a less expensive location. In either scenario, the employees lose.

Unionization isn't something to take lightly. Good unions recognize the employee/employer relationship and know they must do whatever is necessary to keep the employer strong while maximizing pay, benefits and safe working conditions for their members. The problem in this tightrope walk is having management recognize the same ideals, and though it may sound odd, even more important is having the workers recognize it. You will always have a group of workers who will not be happy no matter what the company/union agree to, and will go so far as deny their demands will drive the company out of business. These members are always the most vocal, and can cloud the vision of other members, casting doubts that the union is really doing all they can, or that the union is in bed with management. Believe me, I've seen this attitude first hand and it is not only ugly, but irrational. The term "cutting your nose off to spite your face" comes to mind, and I've even heard they workers say "let them go out of business, it serves them right" and "I was looking for a job when I came here, so if they close, I'll just look elsewhere.".

So, in summation, there appear to be addressable issues at B&H. Let's all hope that the two parties work together to address the reasonable issues and recognize that sacrifices on both sides may be needed to resolve them and keep the company viable. More than that, lets hope the employees understand it too.
02-02-2016, 08:05 AM - 1 Like   #15
Veteran Member
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan

I don't know about this particular case.....and my dealings with B&H have been excellent.

However, when we know for a fact that well over 90% of all the gains in income for the past 20 years has gone to the top 1% of our citizens, and 99% of that to fewer than 30 individuals, it is hard for me not to feel like workers are shafted at every turn.

A lot of us, myself included, are in a "Comfort Zone" not feeling any pinch and secure in our finances, so we have little sympathy for those that are not so fortunate. That is a shame on us. When my neighbor prospers, I have a better neighbor. When my wife prospers in her job...I have more cash to steal for camera gear....we all benefit when we all reap the rewards of a growing economy, not just a handful of the already filthy rich.

Regards!