Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-02-2016, 11:00 AM   #1
Veteran Member
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Reckon what this is?

I let Mrs Rupert use my Jeep last week and yesterday when I got in it the brake light was on and the brake pedal went near the floor. It still stops but with about half the braking power of normal...or less.
The reservoir is full and no leaks appear anywhere. Before I put it in the shop...any ideas what is wrong? I'm not much of a mechanic......I'd like to find a way to blame this on Mrs Rupert so I can feel better about the cash I will steal from her brokerage accounts to pay for the repair.

She says it worked fine for her last week, but she did brake hard once to save from hitting a poor little squirrel.....I know better than that, if that was the case the accelerator would have been stuck on the floor.

Any ideas form you more mechanically inclined auto experts?

Regards!

02-02-2016, 11:29 AM   #2

Sorry to hear of your misfortune.
I'm no mechanic either but I heard of a similar thing that happened when the vehicle was driven with the parking brake fully on. The rotors got so worn down that the regular brake became weak, thus the fluid reservoir still having all its fluid and there not being any leaks. But repair service may be necessary on all four wheels as I believe some jeep models had the parking brake able to lock on all the wheels, not just on two as is usual.
02-02-2016, 11:32 AM   #3
Digitiser of Film
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Rupert Quote
I let Mrs Rupert use my Jeep last week and yesterday when I got in it the brake light was on and the brake pedal went near the floor. It still stops but with about half the braking power of normal...or less.
The reservoir is full and no leaks appear anywhere. Before I put it in the shop...any ideas what is wrong? I'm not much of a mechanic......I'd like to find a way to blame this on Mrs Rupert so I can feel better about the cash I will steal from her brokerage accounts to pay for the repair.

She says it worked fine for her last week, but she did brake hard once to save from hitting a poor little squirrel.....I know better than that, if that was the case the accelerator would have been stuck on the floor.

Any ideas form you more mechanically inclined auto experts?

Regards!
Could be air in the system and/or master cylinder failure. Have you had any work done on it recently, Rupert?
02-02-2016, 12:01 PM   #4
Senior Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
I sounds to me like malfunction, if not catastrophic failure, of a component part or parts, and or associated circuitry; possibly secondary to firmware/software issues.
That's just a guess though.

02-02-2016, 12:06 PM   #5
Digitiser of Film
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Parallax Quote
I sounds to me like malfunction, if not catastrophic failure, of a component part or parts, and or associated circuitry; possibly secondary to firmware/software issues.
That's just a guess though.
I have the feeling that something is wrong with the left phalangee!
02-02-2016, 01:18 PM   #6
Pentaxian

Sounds like a brake master cylinder issue. If so, don't think the Mrs. or even Rupert would be at fault, just one of those things that can happen to a vehicle.

I would get it checked into quickly, though, being your brakes.
02-02-2016, 01:22 PM   #7
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Walkingwolf Quote
Sorry to hear of your misfortune.
I'm no mechanic either but I heard of a similar thing that happened when the vehicle was driven with the parking brake fully on. The rotors got so worn down that the regular brake became weak, thus the fluid reservoir still having all its fluid and there not being any leaks. But repair service may be necessary on all four wheels as I believe some jeep models had the parking brake able to lock on all the wheels, not just on two as is usual.
Ugh, this was my first thought, since the Jeep is my only vehicle, I try to be very careful about the parking brake. After leaving it on once, I devised a way to remember it..... If I engage the brake, I clip a large hair clippie over the brake handle and remove it when disengaging the brake. I have never forgotten it since. Once I was driving another vehicle and had the cruise control short on me and it was causing the car, lol, a Ford, to accelerate to very a very high speed, I burned out the regular brakes trying to stop it, then was forced to use the emergency brake, managed to get the vehicle down to about 15-20mph and it still would not stop so from there I forced it from drive into park..... It stopped then!
Yip.... Need that brake!

02-02-2016, 01:48 PM   #8
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
You have a dual master cylinder that supplies power for the front brakes independent from the rear brakes. One side of the system isn't functioning. The most common cause up here in the north is a rusted through brake line. Since you say that's not the case, it's either the master cylinder or the proportioning valve that determines the amount of pressure each half of the system gets.

At least that's where I would look first.
02-02-2016, 02:03 PM   #9
Master of the obvious
Loyal Site Supporter

I would check the brake lines for marks of rodent teeth. Careful, Rupert, Otis might be out to get you.
02-02-2016, 02:10 PM   #10
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
I agree with Tom. Definitally sounds like a master cylinder or proportioning valve issue.
What year/model Jeep?
02-02-2016, 02:34 PM   #11
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Thanks guys......I bet Tom is right, but Mrs Rupert has been scolded before for driving the Jeep with the parking brake on, so I'm gonna blame her and take the cash from her funds...and a little extra for mental anguish.

The Jeep is bad about going forward with the parking brake on. Unlike the TT that even if the brake is slightly on it won't budge an inch.

Thanks again Now I know what to expect. ...I'll get it in the shop soon.....I doubt you will get any thanks from Mrs Rupert!

Regards!
02-02-2016, 02:45 PM   #12
Senior Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
I doubt you will get any thanks from Mrs Rupert!
Would it help If I sent her a text with a link to this thread?
02-02-2016, 02:48 PM   #13
Veteran Member

so I'm gonna blame her and take the cash from her funds
Say the repair cost an extra $1600 than it did, then secretly buy a DFA 150-450...
02-02-2016, 04:12 PM   #14
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

One more vote for it most likely being caused by a master-cylinder.
02-02-2016, 04:18 PM   #15
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Parallax Quote
Would it help If I sent her a text with a link to this thread?
...and Otis thinks you are trustworthy?

QuoteOriginally posted by bertwert Quote
Say the repair cost an extra $1600 than it did, then secretly buy a DFA 150-450...
That's not a bad idea, but pushing my luck has not been wise in the past. The last time she changed her passwords it took Otis over two weeks to crack the new ones.....and only then because they had negative squirrel words was he able to do it. We both knew she would have bad words for squirrels...and we were right!

Regards!

BTW- My Jeep has been basically trouble free for almost 19 years, so there are no complaints here! Most trouble free vehicle I have ever owned. My most expensive problems have been the damn squirrels eating the wiring harness.