70-79 155.86%
80+ 20.78%
Voters: 256. You may not vote on this poll

Show Printable Version 47 Likes Search this Thread
02-16-2016, 10:38 AM - 3 Likes   #166
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by mohb Quote
After two heart attacks and then a bypass operation each morning it's nice to wake up.
Gosh, your mornings are harsh...

02-16-2016, 10:49 AM   #167
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Rupert Quote
Well, my spirit is not broken, but it is hard to deny that so many decades have inflicted some dings and dents.When friends and loved ones pass, it takes a little part of us with them....but also leaves a little part of them with us.

Love those days...having one today, it's a great feeling, May not be like that tomorrow, but as I always say ...Enjoy today, it will never come again.

I think my amazing 89 year old Mom has the best analogy. Life is like the seasons and there is much to enjoy in every one of them. She lives it to the fullest and always has. She is still strong in body and mind, and in particular in spirit. The winter of her life is like the winter I look out and see here today....bright, warm, and full of sunshine.

Anyhow, bad as it is at times, I've got squirrels...lots of them...not many are so fortunate! No one else has an Otis for a guiding light!

Regards!
My mother will be 89 this August. A few years ago she told us that she had to stop travelling as it was too hard on her. Apparently cruises, trips to places that she thinks are interesting or vacations staying a month in one place are not travelling. She is away in Portugal for this month which is a bit of a waste as the weather in Calgary this winter has been very pleasant for winter. She will be home for a month then a cruise which will take her to Easter Island. I asked her why Easter Island and her reason was "I was asked" by her sisiter in law who is a travel agent and is also going on that trip.

I have offered to be the dutiful son and go in her place to take pictures for her so she can enjoy them when she is at home but she has declined by generous offers. I would even shoot some digital images as the shooting black and white on the Hasselblad would be my main focus. Easter Island has been on my bucket list for some time and never on hers. I am very glad that she is able to travel and seeing as my sister (jkokingly) claims that Mom is spending her inheritence it is not coming out of my third so travel all you want Mom.
02-16-2016, 10:53 AM   #168
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

She'll have to hustle to get there by Good Friday.
02-16-2016, 11:27 AM   #169
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I rarely have them, especially since my eyes have been CLA'ed. The last time I had one was when I tried to run a 10K with my daughter. I beat the sag wagon but not by much.

02-28-2016, 09:10 PM   #170

Spirit of '76 here ! Hiya all, take a nap
02-29-2016, 03:20 AM   #171

OK bertwert, you've got company - I admit it - I'm 82.
03-05-2016, 12:42 PM - 1 Like   #172
Veteran Member
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan

The world looks different....

When you get older you come to a point where things look different......and are. Planning for 20-30 years down the road is over and things once highly valued don't look so shiny and enticing. Maybe it doesn't hit everyone, but it has hit me and I'm not sure that I am adjusting to it as well as I would prefer.
I am trying to plan less far down the road, considering the road is not eternal, and wanting to suck up more of the value in short term availability. If you are not financially concerned to any real degree of worry, you realize that money truly isn't "everything". Once determined, you can relax and enjoy spending it in ways you might not have considered earlier in life. If you are fortunate enough to have most everything you ever desired, you can focus a little more on helping those that don't.

All in all, the changes with old age are both subtle and sudden....it is hard to reconcile the differences at times. Some days I am young inside but old outside....other days just old all over! It is uncharted territory. Keeping a positive outlook is key...but not always that easy.

They say you gain wisdom with age? Maybe so from the years of experience, but there is still plenty of room for more training!
If I can point to one thing that I would recommend to the younger generation, it would be to enjoy your youth to its fullest potential. Take some risks, see things far and wide, learn to relate to all types of people of all dispositions, cultures, races and religions. Don't put yourself in a box by your own prejudices or opinions without listening to others. Everything you learn is from someone else, and it is surprising how much you can learn if you just watch and listen.

Regards!

03-06-2016, 05:01 AM   #173
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Seven years back I was diagnosed with advanced prostate cancer, which by the statistics means I've been dead for about three years (five year survival for cases with my profile was below 20%). When I first got the news, I also gained the company of those "things that go bump in the night." They are inside your head, dark thoughts, and they can make a good night's sleep almost impossible. Since then, I confess, I've been disinclined to put off the purchase of any new photo-toy that catches my fancy. If not now, when?
03-06-2016, 05:40 AM   #174
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Rupert Quote
The world looks different....

When you get older you come to a point where things look different......and are. Planning for 20-30 years down the road is over and things once highly valued don't look so shiny and enticing. Maybe it doesn't hit everyone, but it has hit me and I'm not sure that I am adjusting to it as well as I would prefer.
I am trying to plan less far down the road, considering the road is not eternal, and wanting to suck up more of the value in short term availability. If you are not financially concerned to any real degree of worry, you realize that money truly isn't "everything". Once determined, you can relax and enjoy spending it in ways you might not have considered earlier in life. If you are fortunate enough to have most everything you ever desired, you can focus a little more on helping those that don't.

All in all, the changes with old age are both subtle and sudden....it is hard to reconcile the differences at times. Some days I am young inside but old outside....other days just old all over! It is uncharted territory. Keeping a positive outlook is key...but not always that easy.

They say you gain wisdom with age? Maybe so from the years of experience, but there is still plenty of room for more training!
If I can point to one thing that I would recommend to the younger generation, it would be to enjoy your youth to its fullest potential. Take some risks, see things far and wide, learn to relate to all types of people of all dispositions, cultures, races and religions. Don't put yourself in a box by your own prejudices or opinions without listening to others. Everything you learn is from someone else, and it is surprising how much you can learn if you just watch and listen.

Regards!
You know the post is serious when the squirrels keep out - so, seriously, I'm only on my 50s - old enough but not soooo old - and to me its evidence if needed that there is a wisdom that comes with age - one we could all do well to listen to.

QuoteOriginally posted by WPRESTO Quote
Seven years back I was diagnosed with advanced prostate cancer, which by the statistics means I've been dead for about three years
I'm really sorry to hear that - but inspired by your reaction - really!
03-06-2016, 06:19 AM   #175
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
I've been disinclined to put off the purchase of any new photo-toy that catches my fancy. If not now, when?
I can relate. That also applies to travel, btw.
03-06-2016, 07:06 AM   #176
Veteran Member
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan

Seven years back I was diagnosed with advanced prostate cancer, which by the statistics means I've been dead for about three years (five year survival for cases with my profile was below 20%). When I first got the news, I also gained the company of those "things that go bump in the night." They are inside your head, dark thoughts, and they can make a good night's sleep almost impossible. Since then, I confess, I've been disinclined to put off the purchase of any new photo-toy that catches my fancy. If not now, when?
Well, look at all those extra years you have had here as a respected and knowledgeable contributor. Your posts on the long lens comparisons still come to my mind as being some of the best detailed information ever posted at PF.....at a time when it was most needed. Fight on!!!......we need you here!

Regards!
03-06-2016, 10:34 AM   #177
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
My father's uncle received the prostrate cancer diagnose when he was 80. The Dr. laid out the options for treatment. Unc told the Dr. he was 80 years old, was satisfied with his time on earth, was eager to see his wife again (she had passed a few years before), and wasn't going to do anything about the cancer. Darn stuff killed him just shy of his 102 birthday. I hope your outcome is similar.