Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 26 Likes Search this Thread
02-07-2016, 04:34 PM - 3 Likes   #31
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Rupert Quote
I was once offered a Mod position, well, sort of. When asked what I would do to make this a better place, I said "Ban all squirrels, squirrel shots, and squirrel talk." I never heard from anyone about it again.....I think the system is rigged, by squirrels?

Regards!
We can make that happen if you like.

02-07-2016, 04:38 PM   #32
Pentaxian

We can often forget, when communicating only by the printed word, and even when we are writing our first language competently, that we lose the vast amount of information that is normally transmitted in face to face conversation by body language, gestures, facial expressions, and voice intonations.

Cheers.
Philip
02-07-2016, 04:53 PM   #33
osv
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Tom S. Quote
We can make that happen if you like.
make what happen? ban all squirrel shots? yes please

make him a mod? i've got him on ignore, because i got tired of hearing about squirrels

can mods override ignore? 'cause i don't wanna see anymore squirrels
02-07-2016, 08:38 PM   #34
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by osv Quote
can mods override ignore? 'cause i don't wanna see anymore squirrels
I now want to post a squirrel photo, just to antagonize you, but there's a wise sounding voice in the back of my head "...silence is an option..."

and so I refrain

02-07-2016, 09:58 PM   #35
osv
Veteran Member

lol!

well done, in the spirit of the thread!
02-09-2016, 09:16 AM   #36
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Forum members are generally civil and polite. It was not always thus! Back in the day there was a Politics and Religion section, where the posts sometimes got pretty nasty. Even there folks tried, in the main, to stay polite. Eventually the Admin shut down the section.

If you REALLY want to see nasty, there is a forum which has a section named The Attic, t'were better called The Sewer. It is a rare exchange there which doesn't descend into ad hominem attacks, or worse. Several trolls make it their life's work to stir the pot with really loathsome slime. Eccch!
02-09-2016, 09:21 AM   #37
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by BigMackCam Quote
Courtesy and friendliness costs nothing... and silence is an option, too
And World Peace, you forgot World Peace.

All admirable things we all aspire to.

You do realize if there is silence, as in no one says anything, there's no reason to come to the forum... just in a theoretical sense there'd be nothing to come for, there'd be nothing here.

So, Id' question that one on philosophical grounds. Most of us like to say something every now and then just to let folks know we are paying attention. Does that make us bad people?

Are we in church? I think I hear organ music in the background..

I'm reminded of Jack Nicholson's "Why can't we just all get along? " in "Mars Attacks".

I ask the same question when I see two birds at my feeder. They have a 16 foot section of porch rail and could both just stand there and eat. But they fight and try and drive each other off before they settle down.. it's in-efficient, you'd think it would impede their progress in an evolutionary sense, but there is some kind of biological imperative that says, "we are going to compete". The thing is, I believe they should just "get along and share the food." We believe "Courtesy and Friendliness cost nothing." These are very similar types of beliefs of what could be that we contrast intellectually with what is. And the thing is, no matter what we achieve, there will always be room for improvement. Maybe that's the message.

We could be better. That message never changes, no matter what you do.

Last edited by normhead; 02-09-2016 at 09:44 AM.
02-09-2016, 09:33 AM - 1 Like   #38
csa
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

With very few exceptions, this is one of the most friendly & respectful forums I've taken part in. For those that simply want to continue pushing buttons, the "Ignore" button is golden silence! The friends I've made here, and the information I gain daily, makes this my favorite place!
02-09-2016, 09:56 AM - 1 Like   #39
Digitiser of Film
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by normhead Quote
You do realize if there is silence, as in no one says anything, there's no reason to come to the forum... just in a theoretical sense there'd be nothing to come for, there'd be nothing here.
So, Id' question that one on philosophical grounds. Most of us like to say something every now and then just to let folks know we are paying attention. Does that make us bad people?
Silence is optional, not mandatory You're right, it'd be pretty dull if no-one said anything...

QuoteOriginally posted by normhead Quote
Are we in church? I think I hear organ music in the background..
I think you've been at the communion wine again, Norm!
02-10-2016, 09:24 AM   #40
Pentaxian

I'd be interested to learn how other posters would react to a comment on one of their pics like this:

"What's wrong with you?

You post pictures like that and claim you took them with a camera worth more than $25.

That lens must be defective. Send it back.

And that's my benevolent analysis.

You don't want to hear the nasty one. "

Now I'll admit the picture was not the best (it was a close up of a very small flower and the focus was a bit off),but there are huge numbers of other pictures knocking about which are far worse and didn't draw such bile.

Comments/thoughts?

02-10-2016, 09:35 AM   #41
csa
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

If I replied at all, I might post something like:

"Any helpful advice or criticism would be greatly appreciated".
02-10-2016, 09:41 AM   #42
Digitiser of Film
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by timb64 Quote
I'd be interested to learn how other posters would react to a comment on one of their pics like this:

"What's wrong with you?

You post pictures like that and claim you took them with a camera worth more than $25.

That lens must be defective. Send it back.

And that's my benevolent analysis.

You don't want to hear the nasty one. "

Now I'll admit the picture was not the best (it was a close up of a very small flower and the focus was a bit off),but there are huge numbers of other pictures knocking about which are far worse and didn't draw such bile.

Comments/thoughts?

I can guess where it came from, Tim, judging by the "cadence". I don't know the context of the exchange - and it's possible the above was meant to be funny in a twisted kind of way, but personally I don't find it funny or constructive. If I'd said "Nice photos, Tim, but I think you had one too many beers on that flower shot!", I suspect you'd have taken it in good spirits and maybe even chuckled a little yourself... yet in essence, the same point would have been made.
02-10-2016, 09:44 AM   #43
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by timb64 Quote
Comments/thoughts?
Here are three approaches:

1) It's filled with smileys so it's all good.

2) There's an "Ignore User" button.

3) There's also a "Report Post" button if you feel someone is being abusive or inappropriate.
02-10-2016, 09:47 AM   #44
Digitiser of Film
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by BrianR Quote
1) It's filled with smileys so it's all good.
I've seen a few posts that are pretty barbed yet filled with smilies, as if that somehow makes being nasty "OK". Like someone insulting my mother would get away with it if there's a smiley on the end?
02-10-2016, 09:59 AM   #45
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by BigMackCam Quote
I've seen a few posts that are pretty barbed yet filled with smilies, as if that somehow makes being nasty "OK". Like someone insulting my mother would get away with it if there's a smiley on the end?
Don't be offended, but I'm about to say something offensive. After I've said the offensive thing, I'll be laughing at with you, so you should join in.

Ahhemm... Your mother was a hamster and your father smelt of elderberries.