Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-07-2016, 06:04 PM   #1
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Auto Body Work - A Brave New World

About three weeks ago, the tire-pressure monitor on my BMW M4 showed that the right rear tire was a bit low; while airing the tires on the car the next morning, I discovered a nail in the tire. Application of a little dishwashing soap indicated a very active leak, thus I rushed to take the Bimmer to the local Michelin store to get a repair. As I hurriedly backed out of the garage, I forgot that roofers had stored piles of shingles in our driveway the previous day. The shingles would have been easy to avoid, particularly since the car's sensors and rear camera clearly indicated their presence, but I still managed to just touch the corner of one pile. The damage is small (although I cussed like . . . . . well . . . . . a sailor), but I assumed that the necessary "body work" would be trivial.

No way. The two damaged areas include a slight indentation with scratches close to the wheel well of the left rear quarter panel and a few short scratches on the bumper (photos below). Each area could be completely covered by a circle with the diameter of a Bud Light can, but . . . . . according to the appraiser from my insurance company (USAA), the bumper will have to be removed for complete repainting. Further, the rocker panel, all the window trim on the left side, the left rear tail light, and trim on the roof will have to be removed so that the damaged area can be repainted and the entire quarter panel (including contiguous portions along the left side of the roof ) will have to be sanded down for new clear coat!

Tomorrow, I'm taking the car to a body shop in Houston that specializes in performance and sport vehicles; the appraiser suggested that it'll take a working week to complete the repairs (which likely means two or three times that long). The only bright spot is that the shop is only about a half mile from the Porsche dealer that services my Boxster S, so I'm going to try to maneuver my wife into a quick visit to peruse the 911s and plant a seed . . . . . . I'm thinking long term here.

Jer

Damaged areas:

I can't believe the bumper and 40% of the left side of the car has to be painted and/or clear coated for damage that amounts to about 8 or 9 square inches!

---------- Post added 02-07-2016 at 10:25 PM ----------

Last edited by Sailor; 02-08-2016 at 12:53 PM.
02-07-2016, 08:58 PM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
911? Methinks a Cayman GT4 might be better.
02-07-2016, 09:17 PM   #3
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by wtlwdwgn Quote
Maybe. C&D says Cayman S is closest to the classic, simple Porsche sport coupe.
02-07-2016, 09:55 PM   #4
Veteran Member

tsk tsk! such carelessness. you'll have to send the car my way. my little e92 will help rehabilitate it from the obvious PTSD you've left it with. poor thing

02-08-2016, 12:12 PM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

That's why I like driving my 14-year-old brown pickup. It still has yellow paint on the front fender from rubbing against a telephone pole in a parking spot. The pole was painted yellow so people would see it better.
02-08-2016, 12:34 PM   #6
Veteran Member
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan

I hate stories like that! I once picked up a rock in one of my Jeep tires and it slung off and hit the inside of the right front fender hard enough to cause a large pimple in the paint. It was in the shop over a week. No easy job.

Mrs Rupert once had a Jeep Cherokee with a minor rear end injury from a tailgater that got too close. It was supposed to take them a week to repair.....
They tried about 5 times to match the paint and failed each time. They had no excuse because they had made a front fender repair only a few months earlier and matched it perfectly. Since the dealer repair shop was providing her a free loaner car, she hadn't hollered too much. Finally she did holler and squeal......they painted the entire car...for free!

She promptly gave it to our oldest grandson for his high school graduation. It looked like new! Sometimes it works out for the best.......I bet it does for you too...if you know what I mean?

Winners and losers......Jeffrey was a winner on this one!

Regards!
02-08-2016, 01:15 PM   #7
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by wtlwdwgn Quote
I'll tell you, Steve - that GT4 is one cool customer, but it's heavily track oriented. It's street legal, but its use on the roads and over the speed bumps of Brazoria County would be hard on a driver - particularly one my age .

Jer

QuoteOriginally posted by monochrome Quote
Maybe. C&D says Cayman S is closest to the classic, simple Porsche sport coupe.
A 981 Cayman S does indeed have a classic feel, as does my 981 Boxster S which is essentially the same car in roadster form. The mid-engine layout of the 981s is also a real plus, giving the cars terrific balance and quick, precise turn in.

Jer

QuoteOriginally posted by wibbly Quote
tsk tsk! such carelessness. you'll have to send the car my way. my little e92 will help rehabilitate it from the obvious PTSD you've left it with. poor thing
I took the car in this morning, and I'm feeling more comfortable. In the shop were three Lambos, an F80 M3, two air-cooled 911s, two Nissan GT-Rs and a 991 Porsche 911 Carrera Cabriot. Still, I've arranged counseling for the M4 upon its return, and I've already had a stern chat with the Porsche to treat the kid from Munich right when it gets back.

Now, I have to deal with my own separation anxiety .

Jer

QuoteOriginally posted by Just1MoreDave Quote
That's why I like driving my 14-year-old brown pickup. It still has yellow paint on the front fender from rubbing against a telephone pole in a parking spot. The pole was painted yellow so people would see it better.
Yeah, but running into some shingles will break your heart!

Jer

QuoteOriginally posted by Rupert Quote
I hate stories like that! I once picked up a rock in one of my Jeep tires and it slung off and hit the inside of the right front fender hard enough to cause a large pimple in the paint. It was in the shop over a week. No easy job.

Mrs Rupert once had a Jeep Cherokee with a minor rear end injury from a tailgater that got too close. It was supposed to take them a week to repair.....
They tried about 5 times to match the paint and failed each time. They had no excuse because they had made a front fender repair only a few months earlier and matched it perfectly. Since the dealer repair shop was providing her a free loaner car, she hadn't hollered too much. Finally she did holler and squeal......they painted the entire car...for free!

She promptly gave it to our oldest grandson for his high school graduation. It looked like new! Sometimes it works out for the best.......I bet it does for you too...if you know what I mean?

Winners and losers......Jeffrey was a winner on this one!

Regards!
Thanks, my friend, for the sympathetic reply. Jeffrey looks like one outstanding grandson!

Jer

02-08-2016, 01:25 PM   #8
Veteran Member
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan

QuoteOriginally posted by Sailor Quote
I took the car in this morning, and I'm feeling more comfortable. In the shop were three Lambos, an F80 M3, two air-cooled 911s, two Nissan GT-Rs and a 991 Porsche 911 Carrera Cabriot. Still, I've arranged counseling for the M4 upon its return, and I've already had a stern chat with the Porsche to treat the kid from Munich right when it gets back.
Thank goodness there were no low life autos in the shop....can you imagine the pain and horror that would have caused your baby!

Regards!