Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-03-2008, 09:55 PM   #1
Inactive Account

eBay Australia drops "PayPal Only"! Woo!

Staff note: This post may contain affiliate links, which means Pentax Forums may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. If you would like to support the forum directly, you may also make a donation here.

Online auction giant eBay has lost its three-month battle against the competition watchdog to institute a controversial payment policy...

Thank god.

I can use eBay to buy again, though I imagine I'd get my account suspended fast if I tried to sell anything, as "eBay requires all sellers to offer PayPal as a payment choice on eBay.com.au" as stated on eBay's General Announcements.

I never really sold much stuff on their anyway, but someday I'd like to and maybe this'll change.

07-04-2008, 11:50 PM   #2
Veteran Member

That's good news. I think Paypal is an excellent system, I use it wherever possible, and their communications are good. But there has to be a choice -- restricting eBay sales to Paypal only is just not on.
07-05-2008, 01:06 AM   #3
Inactive Account

Original Poster
Well, you know what would've happened if it stayed PayPal only - after a few months, the PayPal fees would rise markedly and mysteriously. Don't forget PayPal is owned wholly by eBay.
07-05-2008, 01:36 AM   #4
Veteran Member

eBay now may increase fees since they can't implement 'Paypal only'.
There is nothing to stop them doing so.

07-05-2008, 03:11 AM   #5
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I thought it had a stay in execution as the ACCC was still in process

Although paypal (Not defending it)has a protect aganist the weeds in the system(I have found this out myself)

Still its free choice

cheers
07-05-2008, 04:21 AM   #6
Veteran Member

I like paypal. It saves a lot of troubles for me
07-05-2008, 04:43 AM   #7
Veteran Member

It's only 'free choice' when there is a choice. The whole argument by ACCC is that there was no choice for eBay customers.

"eBay Australia head Simon Smith said. eBay faced no pressure to retreat as "we decided to end this ourselves". Suuurrre Simon... you keep telling yourself that!

ACCC 1... eBay 0 Go Aussie! Lucky Microshyte don't have their headquarters here

07-05-2008, 06:26 AM   #8
Veteran Member

^^^ Easy fix ppl will leave, business goes down ,Ebay will lose not much but still lose

cheers