Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 28 Likes Search this Thread
02-14-2016, 06:52 PM - 1 Like   #31
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by timb64 Quote
That's right I should just walk away without expressing a concern or distaste,no wonder you can't have a reasoned debate about the firearms problem in the US

Following your argument those who don't like my contributions to this thread should just ignore it(like several have).
You aren't in the U.S. The problem isn't what you think it is. You are trying to make this political. The old P&R section was shut down due to people not being able to walk away.

02-14-2016, 07:13 PM   #32
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

So I want to know, how does this grip thing work? My guess is, laser on each grip, and you adjust them to cross at 7 yards or whatever distance. Or am I wrong?
02-14-2016, 07:30 PM   #33
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Just1MoreDave Quote
So I want to know, how does this grip thing work? My guess is, laser on each grip, and you adjust them to cross at 7 yards or whatever distance. Or am I wrong?

Nope, laser on the right hand side only. It is adjusted so that the light converges to the point of impact of the bullet. Very sleek, rugged device. It has a micro-switch on the grip that only turns on the laser when the revolver is gripped.
02-14-2016, 07:41 PM   #34
csa
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

That's a pretty interesting device! Other lasers are big, and won't fit into a holster.

02-14-2016, 07:58 PM   #35
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by csa Quote
That's a pretty interesting device! Other lasers are big, and won't fit into a holster.

Carol, take a look at my OP. That IS the laser grip attached to the revolver! It's THAT small and unobtrusive! Very cool device.... and well thought-out. It uses a tiny hearing aid battery that fits inside the grip and it lasts a long, long time!
02-14-2016, 08:07 PM   #36
Veteran Member

Everyone seem to be happy with CT grips. I almost bought a CT grip for my P226, but I just like the factory grips too much. They don't make grips that will fit my Sig 1911 Fastback Carry.

They have a great reputation.
02-14-2016, 08:19 PM   #37
DAZ
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by csa Quote
It is one of CT’s claims to fame. It’s about the only system that works well on revolvers and it also works well on the larger semi-autos. In addition it also does it greatly reduce the holster problem. For some of the larger semi-autos that come equipped with a Picatinny rail system they make sight for those also. Definitely don’t underestimate the holster problem. On the smaller semi-autos there is just no room in the grips. So for some of the smaller subcompact semi-autos you have to go to some kind of an integrated on the trigger guard system. When you go to an integrated on the trigger guard system the problem of holstering (as in getting a holster with the proper fit or one that fits at all) does raise its ugly head again. CT is also starting to introduce laser sights with built-in LED flashlights now. As these subcompact semi-autos are becoming some of the most popular weapons and CT is one of the more popular choices for these many of the holster companies are starting to accommodate this combination more and more. CT is one of the best systems on the market (it’s kind of the Cadillac system) and unfortunately also one of the most expensive. This last issue is the biggest drawback for CT. Depending on what it’s mounted on it can increase your cost from between 1/4 to 1/2 of your total cost.

DAZ

02-14-2016, 08:29 PM   #38
csa
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Dewman Quote
Carol, take a look at my OP. That IS the laser grip attached to the revolver! It's THAT small and unobtrusive! Very cool device.... and well thought-out. It uses a tiny hearing aid battery that fits inside the grip and it lasts a long, long time!
Yes, I realize that. That's why I mentioned that it wouldn't be a problem fitting in a holster.
02-15-2016, 03:55 AM - 1 Like   #39
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Keeping in the vein of firearms, I found a S&W Model 41 on GunBroker last week advertised as NIB for just over $900. While that is a lot of money, especially if you convert it to possible lenses, retail on these go for upwards of $1600 - if you can find them. They are quite rare, and used ones usually fetch the price this guy was asking, so I snatched it up. For the uninitiated, the Model 41 is a .22 caliber target pistol. It's one of those things I always wanted but couldn't justify the cost when raising a family. Since I can enjoy shooting this and still recoup the price should I (of more likely my heirs) ever decide to sell it, it's a no brainer for me. That is one aspect of firearms lots of people over look, the investment side. There are many guns, in all ranges of pistols to rifles to shotguns, that make excellent investments. To maximize the investment, it's best not to fire them and leek them in new condition inside their boxes, but there are many that if kept long enough and taken care of, will still retain or even appreciate in value. I know of one individual who has several safes in his basement full of firearms. They are his 401K and in light of recent stock market activities, it looks like a wise investment. Anyway, the Model 41 should be in my hands tomorrow. My only regret is the current cost of .22 match ammo, and the fact that .22 is the one round you can't reload yourself.

Reloading is another aspect of firearms. People say they do it to save money and that's a lie. No one I know saves a dime reloading, after the cost of the equipment and components are added in. The return in investment is you can shoot a lot more though and you can tailor ammo to your specific needs. For example, I load several hand gun calibers at reduced loads for target shooting. I can shoot them all day and not experience the fatigue and soreness full house factory loads would produce. Here's an old picture of my reloading room, which has gotten more cluttered with equipment since this was taken years ago:

Name:  Bench2.jpg
Views: 262
Size:  253.7 KB
02-15-2016, 05:53 AM   #40
Senior Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
You're right about not saving money. You save money per round, but I don't know anyone, including myself, who doesn't shoot more than they would if they didn't handload.
02-15-2016, 06:36 AM   #41

+Dewman - you made a great choice...Crimson Trace makes some great products. I have one of their Rail Master Universals that I move between my Glock 19 and Ruger SR22. Easy to use, very small but very bright.

Last edited by sandbasser; 02-15-2016 at 06:38 AM. Reason: fix syntax
02-15-2016, 07:08 AM   #42
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Tom S. Quote
Keeping in the vein of firearms, I found a S&W Model 41 on GunBroker last week advertised as NIB for just over $900. While that is a lot of money, especially if you convert it to possible lenses, retail on these go for upwards of $1600 - if you can find them. They are quite rare, and used ones usually fetch the price this guy was asking, so I snatched it up. For the uninitiated, the Model 41 is a .22 caliber target pistol. It's one of those things I always wanted but couldn't justify the cost when raising a family. Since I can enjoy shooting this and still recoup the price should I (of more likely my heirs) ever decide to sell it, it's a no brainer for me. That is one aspect of firearms lots of people over look, the investment side. There are many guns, in all ranges of pistols to rifles to shotguns, that make excellent investments. To maximize the investment, it's best not to fire them and leek them in new condition inside their boxes, but there are many that if kept long enough and taken care of, will still retain or even appreciate in value. I know of one individual who has several safes in his basement full of firearms. They are his 401K and in light of recent stock market activities, it looks like a wise investment. Anyway, the Model 41 should be in my hands tomorrow. My only regret is the current cost of .22 match ammo, and the fact that .22 is the one round you can't reload yourself.

Reloading is another aspect of firearms. People say they do it to save money and that's a lie. No one I know saves a dime reloading, after the cost of the equipment and components are added in. The return in investment is you can shoot a lot more though and you can tailor ammo to your specific needs. For example, I load several hand gun calibers at reduced loads for target shooting. I can shoot them all day and not experience the fatigue and soreness full house factory loads would produce. Here's an old picture of my reloading room, which has gotten more cluttered with equipment since this was taken years ago:

Attachment 298773

Oooooo..... LOVE the Model 41! I used to own one of those many (30?) years ago. I bought it NIB for a shade over $300.00! One of the most accurate firearms I've ever owned. Your reloading room looks a lot like mine.... only mine's not quite THAT big! For me, half the fun of getting a new rifle was tweaking the ammo to make it shoot. If it was a sporter, it HAD to shoot 3 shots inside 1 1/2" a@ 100 yds. A varmint barrel and it HAD to put 5 inside 1/2" or it went down the road.... along with the sporter weight rifle. The most accurate rifle I currently own is a Remington 700 BDL in .222 Remington. Five shots in .19".... and it's a sporter weight barrel!

---------- Post added 02-15-16 at 07:12 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by sandbasser Quote
+Dewman - you made a great choice...Crimson Trace makes some great products. I have one of their Rail Master Universals that I move between my Glock 19 and Ruger SR22. Easy to use, very small but very bright.

If you take them out on a real dark night, the distance they will shine is absolutely mind-blowing! I've told people just HOW far and they called me a liar! Well.... WELL over 1/2 mile! They are rugged, that's for sure. My wife's Ruger SP101 had a set on it and for some masochistic reason, she liked to shoot full-house, 158gr. .357 loads in it.... and the CT never blinked an eye.
02-15-2016, 08:08 AM   #43
csa
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Tom S. Quote
Reloading is another aspect of firearms. People say they do it to save money and that's a lie. No one I know saves a dime reloading, after the cost of the equipment and components are added in. The return in investment is you can shoot a lot more though and you can tailor ammo to your specific needs.
I agree. I had a complete reloading setup in the basement of our first home in town. The equipment wasn't cheap, even back then! However, I found it a very relaxing, interesting side hobby of shooting. When we moved to another home, it went with us and ended up being a place where I tooled my leather items.

Funny, the set of cabinets with a benchtop now resides in this place, as extra storage in the kitchen. This was handmade for my husband; it included a gun cabinet, and it's such a nice piece, that I couldn't leave it behind!
02-16-2016, 12:44 PM - 1 Like   #44
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Following your argument those who don't like my contributions to this thread should just ignore it(like several have)
I have been admiring your contributions to the 16-85 thread (beautiful pics) while I am considering purchasing one myself.
As far as this thread goes I do have to take note any time a comment is made that involves firearms. I love shooting and firearms about as much as photography and cameras, lenses etc. Fortunately here in the US we citizens have a constitutional right to own and use both.
Yeah,boys(and girls)and their toys I totally get,but the annual misery these weapons lead to should be acknowledged.
Weapons don't lead to the misery. It is irresponsible human error and or misuse. Even a DSLR could be used as a weapon, and lethally. Yes, I know it doesn't compare statistically to firearms, just pointing out that it is a "people" problem not an "inanimate object" problem. Please keep posting those great 16-85 pics!
02-16-2016, 05:11 PM   #45
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Dewman Quote
I've wanted a pair of these for my S&W Airweight for a long time.... and now, they're on the way. Several years ago, I had a set, and they are absolutely superb! The brightness and distance they will shine is amazing. Simple installation, easily adjusted to point of aim.

Without a doubt, the best, most reliable, effective, easily employed night stand gun around when equipped with these laser grips. A real "Point & Shoot" interface. Five rounds of 125gr.HP +P .38 Spl., center mass in less than 5 seconds will ruin your day. Maybe he should have chose a different house!
I just looked up one for my S&W 19-2... evilbay $270, crimson $319.00! I might just stick with my 5 D-cell mag-lite