Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-14-2016, 07:27 PM - 2 Likes   #1
Veteran Member

Starry, Starry Night (Vincent) Don McLean

I have a dear friend who sent this to me. We are kindred souls and we share many deep emotions that many may not understand. Somehow, she knew how this would touch my soul. I had never made the connection between the melody and the actual words.... the real meaning. I can't explain how much this effected me.

02-15-2016, 12:13 AM   #2
PJ1
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Thanks for that. I know the song, but this takes it to another place. We are heading back to England in September (our niece is getting married) and gave some though to spending a few days down in Van Gogh country (St Remy) but it would have been difficult and will have to wait for another time. I like the feeling in Van Gogh's work, even when it is pretty bleak. I know with my own art (sadly out of practice) if the feeling wasn't there the piece didn't survive. I have set some time aside for the galleries in London though. I want to have a good look at Turner's work and maybe get into a workshop. Seeing this has told me I need to keep going with it. Thanks, Dewey.
02-15-2016, 12:37 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by PJ1 Quote
Thanks for that. I know the song, but this takes it to another place. We are heading back to England in September (our niece is getting married) and gave some though to spending a few days down in Van Gogh country (St Remy) but it would have been difficult and will have to wait for another time. I like the feeling in Van Gogh's work, even when it is pretty bleak. I know with my own art (sadly out of practice) if the feeling wasn't there the piece didn't survive. I have set some time aside for the galleries in London though. I want to have a good look at Turner's work and maybe get into a workshop. Seeing this has told me I need to keep going with it. Thanks, Dewey.

It's amazing, isn't it? All this time and I never had made the connection between the song..... the actual lyrics and the meaning connected with them. I had never taken the time to actually LISTEN to the words. As you said, this takes it to "another place." I hope you enjoy your trip to Europe. I envy you. Be sure and chronicle your journey and give us a presentation when you return.
02-15-2016, 05:57 AM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

An alternate view

That song once deeply affected me, too.
Fortunately years later I discovered this:

Don't despair! Go see Jonathan Richman live.

Chris