Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-26-2016, 05:49 PM   #31
Digitiser of Film
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by SpecialK Quote
This new, but 2015, Chevy Sonic LT was the second runner up depending on the Honda test drive (not impressed) and the final price, of course. I has rented a Sonic for a week on my Texas vacation so I had some idea about the ride.

Although the salesman included, and the manager later retracted, a discontinued $1,000 rebate in the quote, there were other rebates too, and I split the difference on the disco'd one and drove off $18,500 poorer. The LT trim level has the same options as the Honda EX - fog lamps , 6-speaker sound, alloy wheels, cruise control, touch screen, backup camera, floor mats (and a cargo net not in the Honda). It also has 4 free oil changes/tire rotations, and 40,000 extra miles, though no extra time, on the powertrain warranty.
Looks like a really nice car - congratulations!!

What's most interesting to me is that it seems like the US is catching up to the UK on car prices. For years - decades, frankly - I was *amazed* at what you folks in the States could get for your money, compared to here in the UK. But... while I think you got a *good* deal on that car, when I compare to UK prices, the gap is very definitely closing. It's still more expensive here to buy a car - and certainly more expensive to run one, looking at fuel prices... but the difference is no longer quite so unbelievable...

03-27-2016, 03:23 PM - 1 Like   #32
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
The Sirius trial includes several months of post-trial phone calls and at least a year of occasional mail, all free!
03-27-2016, 09:06 PM   #33
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Original Poster
It may have 4 doors, but no one is going to fit in the rear seat behind me unless they have no legs. But, I have not had anyone riding in back for about 8 years...
03-27-2016, 09:09 PM   #34
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by BigMackCam Quote
Looks like a really nice car - congratulations!!

What's most interesting to me is that it seems like the US is catching up to the UK on car prices. For years - decades, frankly - I was *amazed* at what you folks in the States could get for your money, compared to here in the UK. But... while I think you got a *good* deal on that car, when I compare to UK prices, the gap is very definitely closing. It's still more expensive here to buy a car - and certainly more expensive to run one, looking at fuel prices... but the difference is no longer quite so unbelievable...

We're still moderate on pricing. Some car models are actually rather expensive, especially euro imports. But if you really want to see differentiation on vehicle ownership costs, compare vehicle insurance rates between the US and UK, lol.

03-27-2016, 10:29 PM   #35
Man With A Camera
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: The Great Pacific Northwet, in the Land Between Canada and Mexico
QuoteOriginally posted by Just1MoreDave Quote
The Sirius trial includes several months of post-trial phone calls and at least a year of occasional mail, all free!

I've had an XM radio for about 17 years. I bought a lifetime subscription 7 or 8 years ago. No more phone calls or mail pestering me to let them deduct the subscription fees directly from my checking account.

I wish I had bought the lifetime subscription when I first got the thing, at around $200. It was about $700 when I finally pulled the trigger. It has paid for itself by now, but made more sense earlier on.

Before you ask, they quit selling lifetime subscriptions a few years back.
03-28-2016, 10:45 AM   #36

...I was a diehard GM fan until the Pontiac Grand Am(POS)...All my friends that have out of warranty GMs like the G6 and Buick Rendezvous have (like the Grand Am)had head gasket issues...as a matter of fact the gasket in mine was made of a felt like material?...I have a Hyundai Elantra ltd(fantastic car) and before that a Kia Spectra.The Spectra was bought new in 2007 and drove it til 2015 without even burning out a light or anything???....great car.Honda's are also great but low mileage warranty on them compared to Korean cars...Had a 2008 Jetta,bought it new and it was small problems constantly...fun to drive to the shop though!.
03-28-2016, 11:02 AM - 1 Like   #37
Veteran Member
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan

After almost 19 years I'm still loving my Jeep. Most trouble free vehicle I have ever owned. Still looks great too...never goes "out of style" either.

03-30-2016, 12:39 PM   #38
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by SpecialK Quote
The day finally came :-) The initial front runner was the Honda Fit. The base LX was $18,100 (doable) and the next step up EX was $20,100 (kind of over my limit). This new, but 2015, Chevy Sonic LT was the second runner up depending on the Honda test drive (not impressed) and the final price, of course. I had rented a Sonic for a week on my Texas vacation so I had some idea about the ride.

Although the salesman included, and the manager later retracted, a discontinued $1,000 rebate in the quote, there were other rebates too, and I split the difference on the disco'd one and drove off $18,500 poorer. The LT trim level has the same options as the Honda EX - fog lamps, 6-speaker sound, 16-inch alloy wheels, cruise control, touch screen, backup camera, carpet floor mats (and a cargo net not in the Honda). It also has 4 free oil changes/tire rotations, and 40,000 extra miles, though no extra time, on the powertrain warranty. Other goodies are Sirius radio trial and Onstar trial.

Takes a little getting used to...those are the phone/audio controls on the steering wheel. Cruise control is on the other side.
Congrats.

Looks very nice and also 4 doors and a hatch ought to make it very practical and easy to load/unload. Where will you carry your camera equipment bag ? I usually strap my bags on a seat using the seat belts.
03-30-2016, 01:04 PM   #39
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Auzzie-Phoenix Quote
We're still moderate on pricing. Some car models are actually rather expensive, especially euro imports. But if you really want to see differentiation on vehicle ownership costs, compare vehicle insurance rates between the US and UK, lol.
I'm yet to buy a new car, prefer to let them finish outgassing for a few years
Insurance in NZ seems ok. My $3ooo van costs $280 per annum
03-30-2016, 03:12 PM   #40
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by lesmore49 Quote
Congrats.

Looks very nice and also 4 doors and a hatch ought to make it very practical and easy to load/unload. Where will you carry your camera equipment bag ? I usually strap my bags on a seat using the seat belts.
Funny, I took no photos this entire month except 3 of the car. Busy with computer issues and car researching.

I will probably put the medium bag on the rear seat. Smallest bag on front floor.