Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-25-2016, 08:37 AM   #1
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

How can this happen?

I tried to place an online order with Home Depot yesterday for pickup at the store here. The order wouldn't go thru, so I went into town, paid for the order, the guy took 20 minutes putting the order on the computer, putting my information on it. Got the confirmation e-mail, and it's got another person's information, including address, phone # on it! So that person will get the call to pickup the order, that I paid for! The local Home Depot tried to go online to change the info, and can't!!

The only thing that was correct was my e-mail! I paid thru a Home Depot Gift card that I purchased right there at the store, because they don't take checks for online orders! So what to do? I don't have any ideas!

02-25-2016, 08:39 AM   #2
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Cancel the order for a refund asap?
02-25-2016, 08:43 AM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

A couple years ago my credit card number was used to buy multiple Home Depot gift cards at various locations around the Midwest.

Chris
02-25-2016, 08:50 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Perhaps someone else accidentally used your email address to register a Home Depot account before you did? There was a thread about this sort of thing happening https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/14-general-talk/305842-email-stealing.html

Have you tried signing in to Home Depot's website using your email as the account name? You may need to request a password reset.

02-25-2016, 09:11 AM   #5
csa
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by BrianR Quote
Perhaps someone else accidentally used your email address to register a Home Depot account before you did? There was a thread about this sort of thing happening https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/14-general-talk/305842-email-stealing.html

Have you tried signing in to Home Depot's website using your email as the account name? You may need to request a password reset.

I've never used my email address with Home Depot before yesterday in person at the store.
02-25-2016, 09:23 AM   #6
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by csa Quote
I've never used my email address with Home Depot before yesterday in person at the store.
Someone else may have though.

In the thread I linked to, I mentioned getting emails from shutterfly about someone else's order (I've never used shutterfly). We have similar names - her first was my last and I think my first was her husbands name... I forget the exact details, but essentially her email address would be very similar to mine (both are @gmail.com). When she registered her account she must have screwed up and her typo ended up being a real email address (mine). As a result, there is a shutterfly account under my email with all her other contact info, I received all her email confirmations for the order and have been getting shutter fly coupons ever since (despite a few attempts to notify them of the error).

This isn't necessarily what happened to you, but it's a way an email address can end up registered with another persons information.
02-25-2016, 09:30 AM   #7
csa
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
My email address would be difficult for someone else to use, without going into detail. This other person's name was in no way similiar to mine, nor was the home address.

I just got off the phone with Home Depot, and they are marking this order with the correct information in their records, and also contacted the manufacturer that the mdse is coming from to change their info. I also contacted (again), the local store & they have put a red flag on it, with my phone # for contact information.

No one at Home Depot has any idea how this happened, when it was done in person!

02-25-2016, 10:19 AM   #8
Master of the obvious
Loyal Site Supporter

Impressive.

For I while I received confirmation emails every time some guy in Sweden ordered pizzas home. It stopped when I contacted the pizza place and asked them to stop - unless they did deliveries to Norway

Another place, where I have been customer for years, suddenly got up somebody else when they looked up my number in their system. Got them to correct that once, but the next time I was there the same thing had happened again. This time, instead of changing the phone number again, they kept the number and change all the other information instead - which means the other guy suddenly wasn't registered at all any more.
02-25-2016, 11:23 AM   #9
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Whenever an employee can't fix something, ask for their boss. Everyone has a boss. Some times it takes a while, and may also require major insistence on your part, but eventually you will find someone with the ability or horse power to make it right. If they try to say their boss is busy, tell them you'll wait. If they say the boss isn't there, ask for the boss's boss. If they insist a higher level person isn't available, ask for A) the employee's name, B) the boss's name, C) the name of the person in charge of the boss, and each of their phone numbers. Being insistent doesn't mean being rude or obnoxious, it means not taking no for an answer. I've played this game many times with great results. Should you manage to get to the store manager's level without a satisfactory result, ask for the name of their corporate manager. Occasionally, especially at a locally owned business, you may just run out of options, if the owner refuses. Nine times out of ten, or even a higher percentage than that, you'll succeed not only getting the problem resolved, but something extra for your trouble. All it costs is time, and us retirees have lots of that!

Last edited by Tom S.; 02-25-2016 at 11:31 AM.