Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 16 Likes Search this Thread
02-25-2016, 09:00 AM   #1
Senior Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
USPS Strikes Again

On the 6th of February I sent my corporate tax information to the IRS and Social Security Administration. I mailed 2 envelopes Certified with Return Receipt. Both left the Pierre Post Office on the 6th, and the Sioux Falls office on the 7th.The one to the IRS was delivered on the 9th.
2 weeks later, on the 19th, tracking information for the one addressed to the SS Admn. in Wlikes Barre, PA showed that it had departed the Sioux Falls PO on the 7th with expected delivery on the 9th. Okay, I give up. They lost it.
I got another copy from my accountant and spent another $7.50 to mail it. Well, guess what. The first envelope was delivered the next day; Feb 20th.
It took 13 days to move that envelope 1250 miles. That's 3 days longer than it took the Pony Express to move mail coast to coast.

02-25-2016, 09:10 AM - 1 Like   #2
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
A couple weeks ago I received a USPS Priority Mail package containing a used lens that I had recently purchased.

The shipping box was marked FRAGILE in giant red letters on all sides.

When the box arrived, one whole side was caved in. It was obvious that someone at USPS had stomped on it with all their weight!

Moral of this story, don't mark anything fragile as fragile. Putting "fragile" on the outside of the box only makes it a target for disgruntaled postal employees.
02-25-2016, 09:21 AM   #3
Senior Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Fenwoodian Quote
Moral of this story, don't mark anything fragile as fragile. Putting "fragile" on the outside of the box only makes it a target for disgruntaled postal employees.
Yep. putting fragile on a package is like a rancher taping antlers on the head of his prize bull during deer season.
02-25-2016, 09:25 AM   #4
csa
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

A couple weeks ago I received a USPS Priority Mail package containing a used lens that I had recently purchased.

When the box arrived, one whole side was caved in. It was obvious that someone at USPS had stomped on it with all their weight!

Very true! Many years ago my mother was a rural mail carrier. At the post office many times she saw employees throwing packages marked "Fragile". Seems it was a game to see how fragile it actually was!

02-25-2016, 10:20 AM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

If your package is at the bottom of one of these with heavier packages on top, guess what might happen?

There's a lot I might criticize about my fellow USPS employees but I would never accuse them of negligence.

Chris
02-25-2016, 10:24 AM - 1 Like   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Hey, at least they didn't send a package addressed to British Columbia to Medellin!
02-25-2016, 11:19 AM - 4 Likes   #7
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by csa Quote
Very true! Many years ago my mother was a rural mail carrier. At the post office many times she saw employees throwing packages marked "Fragile". Seems it was a game to see how fragile it actually was!
Years ago, I was waiting in line at the local post office to retrieve an item too large for my PO box. The lady at the front of line asked the clerk what the best way was to ship something fragile. I said in my loud voice: "UPS". Everyone on my side of the counter cheered, Everyone on the other side of the counter tried to kill me with their eyes.

02-25-2016, 11:20 AM   #8
Senior Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
LOL!
02-25-2016, 11:27 AM - 1 Like   #9
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Tom S. Quote
I said in my loud voice: "UPS".
Uninterested Package Smashers? I love how UPS and FedEx drivers don't even bother to ring the doorbell anymore, just leave the package in the snow bank outside.
02-25-2016, 11:32 AM   #10
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

+1.
02-25-2016, 11:33 AM   #11
Veteran Member
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan

QuoteOriginally posted by Parallax Quote
Yep. putting fragile on a package is like a rancher taping antlers on the head of his prize bull during deer season.
Or setting out a big crate of roasted peanuts around here that says Don't Open.

"Who would open that?"

Things are falling apart everywhere when it comes to service........like my Jeep wheel. It's an epidemic of massive proportions. Never seen anything like it . Most everywhere you go the service is rotten...withe only scattered exceptions.

I bought Mrs Rupert a new Lumia Smartphone. She spent most of Saturday online trying to get it activated......even had a simcard delivered Monday......nothing worked as promised. Still more phone calls and online hassle trying to get it to work with a new carrier.
I told her Tuesday, take it to the AT&T Store here and...even though you hate AT&T.......they will get it going and do it fast...you can walk out of the store with an active phone.
She did and they did.....about 10 minutes. Some things still work great. Most don't.

I've tried several times lately to call a Bicycle Shop for information on bicycle hubcaps....nice chrome ones with those spinners like I once had on my '55 Chevy. No answer, the phone just rings and rings......they don't even have an answering machine where I can leave a vulgar message! ......what's the world coming to?

Regards!
02-25-2016, 11:35 AM   #12
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by boriscleto Quote
Uninterested Package Smashers? I love how UPS and FedEx drivers don't even bother to ring the doorbell anymore, just leave the package in the snow bank outside.
I have found that if you tip them at Christmas, they will go to great lengths to provide you with good service. My UPS guy not only rings the bell, he wraps stuff in plastic in bad weather, and takes packages requiring signatures next door if no one is home at our house.
02-25-2016, 11:39 AM   #13
Veteran Member
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan

I have found that if you tip them at Christmas, they will go to great lengths to provide you with good service. My UPS guy not only rings the bell, he wraps stuff in plastic in bad weather, and takes packages requiring signatures next door if no one is home at our house.
After the squirrel bite last year, my UPS guy won't even get out of his truck, he just slows down and throws the package out the door.
02-25-2016, 11:39 AM   #14
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Our letter carrier will do things like that, but not UPS or FedEx. Leave it outside and run away...

I currently have a package being delivered by UPS SurePost from Oregon. 7 days is the estimate, and final delivery is by USPS. If the the Goodwill had simply given the package to USPS I would have it by Saturday. But it might have cost them and extra dollar or two. I'm paying $10.99 for the shipping and a $4 "handling" fee as it is...
02-25-2016, 12:52 PM - 1 Like   #15
Site Supporter
Site Supporter