Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-04-2016, 10:51 PM   #1
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
How could this happen?

This world is becoming more and more frightening. Today I received a fake email from someone who was able to tap into my Paypal account. The email not only told me who I was paying each month, but also how much. I decided to try and log-in to my Paypal account which was a smart move on my part. They tried to extract password and credit card numbers from me. I forwarded the fake email to "spoof@Paypal for investigation. How on Earth did they manage to get so far into my account without any authorization? Again, they told me who I was paying and how much. I received an email from Paypal and they confirmed it was an Internet scam. I sense that with all this high technology, we will some day return to being a shoe box operation, and keep funds sewn up in an old mattress. Really scary.

Be aware. This really happened to me today.

Thanks for reading.

Tony

03-04-2016, 11:08 PM   #2
Closed Account

Photos: Gallery
Glad you caught it in time Tony. I think if we knew the full extent of internet fraud, we would all turn our computers off !!! . Good luck, and I hope it was only a one off for you.

Last edited by Unregistered User 8; 03-04-2016 at 11:17 PM.
03-04-2016, 11:29 PM   #3
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by pjv Quote
Glad you caught it in time Tony. I think if we knew the full extent of internet fraud, we would all turn our computers off !!! . Good luck, and I hope it was only a one off for you.
Thank you for your comment. I was just thinking that everyone should make it a practice to change User IDs and passwords every month. Thanks again,

Tony
03-05-2016, 12:59 AM - 1 Like   #4
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Tonytee Quote
How on Earth did they manage to get so far into my account without any authorization?
Is there a keystroke logger on your computer? If so, they will capture your login again.

03-05-2016, 01:50 AM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

It will cost a little but not a great amount to put Malwarebytes on your PC but will keep you safe from all Malware and trojans ie keyloggers.
03-05-2016, 02:39 AM   #6
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by p38arover Quote
Is there a keystroke logger on your computer? If so, they will capture your login again.
I am not sure, I will check into it. Thank you. What tipped me off was that they claimed to have attempted to pay two of my vendors but that my credit cards had expired. That was when I decided to log into my Paypal account, because I know my credit cards are good until 2018. They wanted me to re-enter the card numbers and the code on the reverse side.

Thank you for that information. A real "Bummer, Man." Dennis Hopper in "Easy Rider."

Tony

---------- Post added 03-05-16 at 02:41 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by eaglem Quote
It will cost a little but not a great amount to put Malwarebytes on your PC but will keep you safe from all Malware and trojans ie keyloggers.
Thanks EM. I just log onto their site and download it? Got it downloaded and it is doing its thing. I am surprised this happened since I paid extra for Norton Symantec 360 which is supposed to protect us from Malware and Spyware. You can bet I will call them in the morning. Thanks again. Tony

I will give it a try.

Tony

Last edited by Tonytee; 03-05-2016 at 03:44 AM. Reason: Additional Information.
03-05-2016, 04:44 AM   #7
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Norton is good, don't get me wrong as I use it too, but it's also a number one target of hackers, so always run at least one additional form of protection, I too use Malware and it runs every time I start the computer. IE, which used to be the king of browsers is also the number one target of hackers, so consider using a different browser like Firefox or Chrome.

03-05-2016, 06:57 AM   #8
Veteran Member

Norton does little against malware and spyware. Malwarebytes fills this hole. I used it on my Wife's laptop after Facebook invasions took it over. It was free for Macs.
03-05-2016, 08:04 AM   #9
Veteran Member
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan

There is no such thing as being "too careful"...and unfortunately, on a computer, there is no such thing as being "careful enough".

I run Avast and Malware Bytes...Spybot also runs on my computer. I have few problems, but am still vulnerable, we all are.

My brother in law spent 30 years with the CIA in computer science intelligence. He was a senior technical analyst and the things he has told me are mind boggling....and they are not even the classified things he can't tell me. Makes you want to stay off your compute & phone, and get a string and two tin cans to talk to your neighbor.

It's sort of like driving down the highway.....pretty safe until it isn't.....and it can happen in an instant no matter how careful you are.

My computer guru guy says Avast is currently the best protection....but that changes periodically... he keeps up on that and apparently sticking with one vendor forever is not a good idea?

One think I like about Avast is the little window you can access at any moment to see what is happening as you surf....by the end of the day it can get pretty crowded in those little boxes.

Name:  Avast.jpg
Views: 336
Size:  54.6 KB

Regards! Happy surfing!
03-05-2016, 04:42 PM   #10
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Tom S. Quote
Norton is good, don't get me wrong as I use it too, but it's also a number one target of hackers, so always run at least one additional form of protection, I too use Malware and it runs every time I start the computer. IE, which used to be the king of browsers is also the number one target of hackers, so consider using a different browser like Firefox or Chrome.
Thanks very much for your input. I have been using Chrome for approximately 7 years now. If Norton is weak in this area, then I will pursue a refund and switch over to McAfee. I have downloaded Malwarebytes and it detected 577 threats
and quarantined 544 of them. I wonder why not all of the threats? Again, many thanks.

Tony

---------- Post added 03-05-16 at 05:09 PM ----------

I will reveal an email I just received supposedly from Paypal. Here they are trying to get me to increase the amount of money in my checking account. They want more information on me after being with them for a long time. This email was forwarded to Paypal's spoof investigators.

We’ve got your back.
As you know, your transaction was recently declined. Let us explain so we can make sure it doesn’t happen again. For your safety, we limit the amount of money that goes through your account. We do this to protect you, and us, from the rare occasions of fraud.
Here’s how we can fix it:
• Tell us more about yourself, so we know you’re you.
• Link your bank account and use it for PayPal transactions.

If you haven’t been able to complete your transaction yet, we can help you here.

Raise Your Limits
03-05-2016, 06:09 PM   #11
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

If you have some threats left over you run Malwarebytes again (and sometimes a third time) then make sure all the threats are ticked before removing them. The best program to avoid getting viruses if you use Windows is Windows Essential Security which can be downloaded from Microsoft.com and it's Free. It is designed especially for Windows. It does not bloat the HDD or slow down your PC which Nortons and Macaffee do.

Thanks very much for your input. I have been using Chrome for approximately 7 years now. If Norton is weak in this area, then I will pursue a refund and switch over to McAfee. I have downloaded Malwarebytes and it detected 577 threats
and quarantined 544 of them. I wonder why not all of the threats? Again, many thanks.

Tony

---------- Post added 03-05-16 at 05:09 PM ----------

I will reveal an email I just received supposedly from Paypal. Here they are trying to get me to increase the amount of money in my checking account. They want more information on me after being with them for a long time. This email was forwarded to Paypal's spoof investigators.

We’ve got your back.
As you know, your transaction was recently declined. Let us explain so we can make sure it doesn’t happen again. For your safety, we limit the amount of money that goes through your account. We do this to protect you, and us, from the rare occasions of fraud.
Here’s how we can fix it:
• Tell us more about yourself, so we know you’re you.
• Link your bank account and use it for PayPal transactions.

If you haven’t been able to complete your transaction yet, we can help you here.

Raise Your Limits
03-05-2016, 06:22 PM   #12
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by waterfall Quote
Norton does little against malware and spyware. Malwarebytes fills this hole. I used it on my Wife's laptop after Facebook invasions took it over. It was free for Macs.
Facebook invasions? How did someone of Facebook get into your wife's computer?

Tony
03-05-2016, 06:33 PM   #13
Veteran Member

my husband does IT and has security clearance (unfortunately can't go into more detail) he sets up everything at home, I have to run everything like strange emails by him because I have been fooled and I am pretty good at picking up stuff. It's scary.

One thing I asked him about when I saw a spike in visits to my facebook page from Russia, they will scan facebook pages and look for things that could be used as passwords: pets names, kids names, anything you have public and then try to tie them to accounts. So if they have an email through spam, then they try to find your account through email search on facebook and then scan your page for possible hints of passwords. So use a random nonsensical passwords with letters and numbers, and change them often for all your accounts. Turn off email search on facebook, not sure if other social media accounts have that too.
03-05-2016, 06:36 PM   #14
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by eaglem Quote
If you have some threats left over you run Malwarebytes again (and sometimes a third time) then make sure all the threats are ticked before removing them. The best program to avoid getting viruses if you use Windows is Windows Essential Security which can be downloaded from Microsoft.com and it's Free. It is designed especially for Windows. It does not bloat the HDD or slow down your PC which Nortons and Macaffee do.
Hi Em,

I tried to find the software you recommended and had no success. Could it be under a different title? Okay, I Googled it and it is now Microsoft Essential Security. Thanks again.

Tony

Last edited by Tonytee; 03-05-2016 at 06:38 PM. Reason: Additional Information.
03-05-2016, 06:59 PM   #15
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Glad you found it, use that in conjuction with Malwarebytes and you should be okay.

Hi Em,

I tried to find the software you recommended and had no success. Could it be under a different title? Okay, I Googled it and it is now Microsoft Essential Security. Thanks again.

Tony