Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 4 Likes Search this Thread
03-09-2016, 11:18 AM   #1
Senior Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Deadliest Catch Fans

Sig Hansen had a heart attack a week or so back while filming. He survived and is recovering.

https://www.yahoo.com/tv/deadliest-catch-star-sig-hansen-suffers-heart-attack-193301337.html

Last edited by Parallax; 03-09-2016 at 12:00 PM.
03-09-2016, 11:29 AM   #2
Veteran Member
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I watch that when I can.....very good show.....not a life I would want to live. Best wishes for a full recovery and return to his passion.
03-09-2016, 01:27 PM   #3
csa
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Parallax Quote
Sig Hansen had a heart attack a week or so back while filming. He survived and is recovering.

https://www.yahoo.com/tv/deadliest-catch-star-sig-hansen-suffers-heart-attack-193301337.html
Jim, I never miss an episode of this show; and I'm very sorry to hear of this with Sig. That has got to be one of the most stressful jobs, and he goes days without sleep, coffee & cigarettes sure didn't help his heart attack. Hope he's up and around soon!
03-09-2016, 02:35 PM   #4
Senior Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by csa Quote
coffee & cigarettes sure didn't help his heart attack.
Yeah, when you have a heart attack at 49 years old it should be a sign that you need to make some lifestyle changes.

03-09-2016, 02:43 PM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

My wife spent so much time complaining about the cigarettes (especially Phil Harris) that the show was kind of hard to watch.
03-09-2016, 04:51 PM   #6
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Just1MoreDave Quote
My wife spent so much time complaining about the cigarettes (especially Phil Harris) that the show was kind of hard to watch.
This is for your wife, after all, Doctors know best!

03-09-2016, 05:11 PM   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

A nearby hospital declared their campus "smoke-free" maybe five years ago, and the campus is pretty big. Most days you can watch the remaining smoker/medical workers wheeze across the campus boundary for their fix. In bad weather they smoke in their cars.

03-09-2016, 05:50 PM   #8
Senior Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
My father had a heart attack at 53. The doctor told him that he didn't have coronary artery disease, or any other cardiac disease. He told him that if he quit smoking he'd reduce his risk of another heart attack by 95%.
He tried quitting and found it very stressful. He reasoned that the stress of quitting was putting more stress on his heart than smoking was, so in the interest of preserving his health it was better to continue smoking the two to two and a half packs of unfiltered Camels that he'd been smoking for nearly 40 years.
COPD be damned.
He died of pneumonia 3 years later, but hey, he showed that doctor a thing or two. He didn't have another heart attack.
03-09-2016, 07:53 PM   #9
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

"Hansen regained consciousness and wanted to continue fishing for crab" Those darn Norwegians are pretty tough!
Sig, one of my favorite captains.
03-10-2016, 12:38 AM - 2 Likes   #10
Veteran Member

A nearby hospital declared their campus "smoke-free" maybe five years ago, and the campus is pretty big. Most days you can watch the remaining smoker/medical workers wheeze across the campus boundary for their fix. In bad weather they smoke in their cars.
Reminds me of high school - and this was back in the late 60's. Of course you couldn't smoke in school (except the teachers in their lounge), so you'd see kids before school and during lunch standing across the street smoking. Yeah, I was one of them. With the war in Vietnam raging over my head, along with teenage hormones running amok, lung cancer was the furthest thing from my mind. But I quit at 23 when our first child was born in the hopes that she wouldn't emulate her old man. And while that didn't work out as planned, I haven't smoked since. Except a couple of times when I was on fire. Welding can do that!
03-10-2016, 12:40 AM   #11
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Loyal Site Supporter

Different times, to be sure. Growing up in the 70s my brother and I could barely see the other living room wall for the smoke emanating from Dad's recliner. ☺
03-10-2016, 04:01 PM - 1 Like   #12
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

My father smoked filterless Camels and worked as a service station maintenance mechanic for Cities Service Oil Company.
When Citgo withdrew from the northeast around 1976 IIRC they offered him a transfer to Oklahoma.
Of course he stayed here where his home and family were, and was dead within a year of lymph cancer at 53.
God knows what else he had been exposed to as a torpedoman on a destroyer in the Pacific in WWII.

He, my mother and stepfather who all smoked and all contracted various cancers were my examples never to smoke anything.
I have already outlived the old man, yet somehow I feel like I am living on borrowed time.

QuoteOriginally posted by clackers Quote
Different times, to be sure. Growing up in the 70s my brother and I could barely see the other living room wall for the smoke emanating from Dad's recliner.

I always tell people I second-hand smoked four packs a day for my entire life until I got married and moved out of my parents home.
People assumed I was a smoker as my clothes and hair always reeked of tobacco.

Chris
03-11-2016, 10:11 AM - 1 Like   #13
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

My dad quit in 1968 when he was 37. At age 78 or so, he was diagnosed with Parkinsons. My wife mentioned once that smoking actually reduces risk for Parkinsons. He said, "You mean if I hadn't quit I wouldn't have Parkinsons?" She said, "Oh, definitely not, you'd have died fifteen years ago."

Nicotine addiction reveals a little bit too much about human nature. Very little gain, strong addiction, high cost and excellent chance that it'll kill you in any number of bad ways - but not right away. Even today, e-cigarettes offer the same addiction with less smoke, from the same companies that sold known killer products. Some of them blow up. And still, people buy them.
03-11-2016, 11:18 AM   #14
Senior Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
Nicotine addiction reveals a little bit too much about human nature.
One night many years ago while I was working the night shift in the ER the the doctor that was on that night was one of our psychiatrists. I don't remember what the conversation was about but I said something about the "human instinct for survival".
He said "humans don't have a survival instinct except under severe stress. The rest of the time we're driven toward self destruction. That's why we smoke, drink, use dangerous drugs, etc."
03-11-2016, 03:48 PM   #15
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Loyal Site Supporter

Even today, e-cigarettes offer the same addiction with less smoke, from the same companies that sold known killer products. Some of them blow up. And still, people buy them.
My wife's actually managed to switch to vaping after a lifetime on cigarettes. I'm so proud, I didn't think she could do it.

The nicotine's still there, of course, but the carcinogenic tar isn't.