Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-10-2016, 07:07 PM   #1
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Bud Collins

Tennis journalist Bud Collins died last week and I wanted to reminisce a bit.

I've been a sports fan since I was a kid. And as I grew older, tennis became one of my favorite sports. I enjoyed playing tennis myself, but I really enjoyed watching the pros play on TV. And Collins became my favorite sportscaster of all. The more I heard him, the more I liked him.

His enthusiasm, wit and encyclopedic knowledge of tennis history made him unique among American tennis broadcasters. And from what I've read and heard over the years, he was also a kind and generous man.

It's interesting how we (viewers / fans) can become attached to people we've never actually met. I often thought I'd love to have dinner with Collins so I could pick his brain about tennis and sports in general. I'll miss him.

In my opinion, pro tennis reached its aesthetic peak at the end of the wood racquet era. One of my fondest sports memories is of watching TV coverage of John McEnroe play Ivan Lendl at an indoor tournament in Philadelphia in the early 1980s. McEnroe, with his trusty wood racquet, somehow was able to defuse the missiles Lendl was firing across the net. "Asbestos Hands" is how Collins referred to McEnroe that day. I still smile when I think about that match.

If anyone is interested in Collins or pro tennis, I recommend his autobiography My Life With the Pros.

Thanks for the memories, Bud. You were the best!

Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-7  Photo 
03-10-2016, 07:16 PM   #2
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I was a tennis fan, but barely remember Bud Collins, accept for his smirk. The man always seemed in good humour.

My friend Jeffrey used to use a Maxply back in the 60s. It only ever beat me once, Jeffry was so happy when he won after years of playing he threw it up in the air and danced around like a crazy person. It broke when it hit the ground. His father had an account at the Yacht club, he paid $300 a month that he had to spend or he paid it anyway. We used to go over at the end of the month and claim Tennis gear from the club house and play on the grass courts. SO he had another Maxplay a few days later. that one never beat me though.

Last edited by normhead; 03-10-2016 at 08:22 PM.
03-10-2016, 07:47 PM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by normhead Quote
. . .
We used to go over at the end of the month and claim Tennis gear from the club house and play on the grass courts.
Ah, grass... I'd love to try that someday.

QuoteQuote:
SO he had another Maxplay a few days later. that one never beat me though.
I guess your friend should've bought a better racquet.
03-10-2016, 08:14 PM   #4
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Tennis should still be played with wooden racquets. Back in my youth, Eastman Kodak had some awesome sports facilities for it's employees. One of the things that they had was carpeted tennis courts. With those old wooden racquets and the carpeting you could really make the ball dance. With enough top spin, the ball would hit and just roll along the surface. Side spin would sent if off at odd angles and with back spin the ball would hit and head right back over the net.

03-10-2016, 08:24 PM   #5
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by gaweidert Quote
Tennis should still be played with wooden racquets. Back in my youth, Eastman Kodak had some awesome sports facilities for it's employees. One of the things that they had was carpeted tennis courts. With those old wooden racquets and the carpeting you could really make the ball dance. With enough top spin, the ball would hit and just roll along the surface. Side spin would sent if off at odd angles and with back spin the ball would hit and head right back over the net.
We had wooden racket day at my club when I was in my 50s. I lasted half an hour. The shock to the arm joints of those wooden rackets would take years off people's ability to play the game. My carbon fibre racket reduces at least 90% of the shock, and allows me to still hit at a good pace even now that I'm in my 60's.