Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 11 Likes Search this Thread
03-12-2016, 07:15 PM   #46
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by kneemeister Quote
I am a Bio-medical Equipment Technician, so I get to leave the house at 1:30 tonight to visit two of our three hospitals to change clocks on various Monitors, Defibrillators, Olympus arthroscopic camera controllers and x-ray machines. I shoud be done about 5:30 so my Sunday is shot! The main hospital will take the other tech even more time.
You do get paid Sunday and night differential? if not...

03-13-2016, 02:59 AM - 1 Like   #47
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
I wish we would stay sprung forward all of the time. Here in Indiana in the middle of summer it gets light at 5:45 and gets dark close to 10 pm, so plenty of light either way. But in the middle of winter it gets light at 8 am and gets dark at 5:30 pm so I don't see the sun at all. I would far rather have it get light at 9 am and get dark at 6:30 -- at least I'd get a few minutes of light after I'm done working.
03-13-2016, 03:56 AM   #48
Veteran Member

It's claimed here in Australia that the State of Queensland didn't introduce DST because the then Premier (a bit like the US state governors) thought the sun came out of his backside and he wasn't getting out of bed an hour earlier for anyone, Besides, all that extra sunshine would make the curtains fade..
03-13-2016, 07:46 AM - 1 Like   #49
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Where I live:

Longest day of the year:
Sunrise 5:31 AM
Sunset 9:21 PM

Shortest day of the year:
Sunrise 8:05 AM
Sunset 4:39 PM

If DST were abolished,
Shortest day of the year:
Sunrise 9:05 AM
Sunset 5:39 PM

I hate the time change. Both Spring Ahead and Fall Back interfere with my biorhythms. I'm overtired and cranky for two weeks afterwards. My wife can attest to this. I have 14 clocks in the house, including appliances and electronics. Changing them twice a year is an aggravation. There are enough downsides evident by now that it should be reconsidered. I have never heard a good argument as to why DST is anything but archaic and unnecessary.

Mee, don't give me any crap about relaxing or taking it easy. Not everyone has a Type B personality. If no one complains, it will never change.

"There have been a number of attempts to estimate the cost of daylight saving time, factoring in everything from sleep deprivation and related health bills, through to the time lost to the simple act of resetting all the clocks in millions of households twice a year.

One such effort, the Chmura Economics & Analytics study entitled Estimating the Economic Loss of Daylight Saving Time for U.S. Metropolitan Statistical Areas, suggests daylight time costs the United States about $434 million per year, based on 2010 population figures."

End of daylight saving time 2015: 6 eye-opening facts - Canada - CBC News

03-13-2016, 08:05 AM   #50
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I officially like DST. My daughter in law is a direct descendant of Benjamin Franklin and since it seems to be his idea, liking DST keeps peace in the family and allows me unlimited access to grandkids.

What gets me is the idiots who keep moving it earlier and earlier under the belief that this save energy since we don't need the lights on as much in the evening. This is true, but now we have to leave them on longer in the morning. Study after study shows no energy savings result from this practice. Still they persist.

As to studies that show how much it costs, I find them pretty much bogus. They are based upon assumptions that are broadly applied. ie, The company I worked for went from having the admins handing out paycheck to mailing them home because it took x amount of time to do so at y dollars per hour. Therefore it cost them z amount of dollars to hand out paychecks. It was decided that it would be less expensive to mail them home.

Now the admins were still there being paid so how did this save money? In the weird world of business accounting somehow it does.
03-13-2016, 08:27 AM   #51
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

An hour time change twice a year wreaks havoc in your life?

Suggest you try working the overnight shift (11:00 PM - 7:30 AM), like I have been doing for over ten years.

Daylight Savings Time? You won't notice a thing...

Chris
03-13-2016, 08:38 AM   #52
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by ChrisPlatt Quote
An hour time change twice a year wreaks havoc in your life?

Suggest you try working the overnight shift (11:00 PM - 7:30 AM), like I have been doing for over ten years.

Daylight Savings Time? You won't notice a thing...

Chris
I worked a three-shift rotation for a few years. It was a horrible time in my life. Never again. There are clear health implications for people working shifts. They say it takes two weeks for your body to adjust, but we were changing shifts weekly. Steady night shift is not supposed to be as disruptive but I'd have to be pretty desperate to work like that. My father liked working three shifts.

03-13-2016, 04:02 PM   #53
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Friends back in Finland did the 3-shift, working for the local paper-mill. They did`t mind it, the money was good and they were young. Ask me to do a third shift... No.
03-13-2016, 04:33 PM   #54
PEG Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: Highlands of Scotland... "Hold Infinity in the palm of your hand" - William Blake
How's this for size, here in the UK during the Second World War, they had double British Summer Time (two hours forward and back). I'm pleased and hasten to say that I've only read about this, as the Kerrowdowns not that old... yet.

Now that really would mess with folks body clocks.

Last edited by Kerrowdown; 03-13-2016 at 04:38 PM.
03-13-2016, 05:12 PM   #55
csa
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
Wow! Indeed that would mess with your body clocks!
03-13-2016, 05:38 PM   #56
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Kerrowdown Quote
How's this for size, here in the UK during the Second World War, they had double British Summer Time (two hours forward and back). I'm pleased and hasten to say that I've only read about this, as the Kerrowdowns not that old... yet.

Now that really would mess with folks body clocks.
Thy did what they had to to survive.
03-13-2016, 07:06 PM   #57
csa
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Ex Finn. Quote
Thy did what they had to to survive.
During that era, the time was the last thing on their minds.
03-14-2016, 07:04 AM   #58
Veteran Member
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan

Noticed the birds and squirrels have quickly adapted to the time change.....the Jays are the first to figure out that the feed is coming an hour earlier.
They always make certain they get the peanuts first.....

For me, it always takes a few weeks to adapt.

Regards!
03-14-2016, 12:10 PM   #59
Veteran Member

This thread cracked me up. We are retired now so I can't figure out why I hate DST so much but I do. We travel a lot and heading west can play havoc on keeping up with the different time zones much less DST. Heck, Arizona doesn't change their clocks but the native Americans do so that means different time zones in the same state. Anyhow, back to the story I was fixing to tell before I let myself get sidetracked - my husband and I are not early risers but, for our last trip we really wanted to make an effort to catch some sunrises so we figured the best way to do that was to stay on EST for as long as we could. This worked well as long as we didn't have to be in a particular place at a specific time. Worked like a charm to until we got to the Rockies and by then, it was hard to keep it up. Felt funny eating dinner at 3:00 PM though but we did manage to get some sunrise shots.
03-16-2016, 04:52 AM   #60
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Unfortunately we have day light saving here, some states don't have it, I don't like it at all, useless idea, as if we need it here 28.5524 [latitude in decimal degrees], 153.5 [longitude in decimal degrees] no where near far south enough.
The curtains fade and the chooks go off the lay with all that extra daylight