Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Closed Thread
Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-19-2016, 02:48 AM   #1
Closed Account

Photos: Gallery
Is it just me?

Hi folks. I was watching this site for a while before joining up about this time last year. There are many " characters " here, and it is only human nature to form alliances and friendships with like minded people. The forums seemed to have changed over the last month or so, I think. The posting in some of the threads has been more argumentative and opinions once respected and tolerated, are being challenged and in some cases, rejected as foolishness. The tone has changed ( IMO ) from a community allowing a free exchange of ideas, to one of being quite aggressive on occasions. Am I being overly sensitive and reading more into what is going on than is actually happening? Do some of longer serving members feel like they are losing " their " forum to the newbies? I am very interested to hear from other members if they have noticed a change as well, or as the title of the thread says " Is it just me? "

Thanks.

03-19-2016, 04:06 AM - 1 Like   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
It's not just you. Just don't buy into it.

Stick with the threads that don't involve genital measuring and you'll find it's still positive and informative.
03-19-2016, 04:16 AM - 2 Likes   #3
PJ1
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

You shouldn't ask that question when there are so many of us from Oz on the Forum because you know we will say "Yeah, it's just you"

But seriously, I think that whenever a big change is in the wind (and FF has been like the mating of elephants - a lot of noise and years to get the result) there is quite a bit of nervous anticipation. Then throw in a silly question like "Will the performance be better than X ?" which no one can possibly know the answer to, and you get a lot of argument about what various numbers will mean in practice. It will settle down once the K-1 and the rest of the new kit is in people's hands. There are a lot of us here who just want to share (and improve) our photography, and I think we tend to pay more attention to each other's threads. I let the rest of it just go past in the flow.
03-19-2016, 04:27 AM - 1 Like   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Man, there is so much carry on about a camera that is not even out yet, just a waste of time going to those threads, they will burn out in time.

Plenty of music to listen to and great images in other threads

03-19-2016, 04:42 AM - 1 Like   #5
Veteran Member

I've always been fascinated by the obsession with the comparisons made between the latest and previous models. See, with a car or an aircraft or TV get it. Faster, higher, crisper, etc. With photography it's about the image. New models make it easier to control the variables conspiring to ruin your efforts, but at the end of the day composition and timing can defeat most of those variables. My grandfather was a master of composition and timing. I have some superb photographs taken by him that wouldn't rate a mention with some of our more cosmopolitan forum members because they're not sharp enough or have old fashioned film ISO noise, etc.

I get a lot from participating in this forum and have been able to assist others from time-to-time. When I can't do those things I'll bail, but I reckon that day's a long way off.
03-19-2016, 04:58 AM - 1 Like   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Is this thread restricted to Aussies?
Perhaps it's just a timing thing; the rest of the world is asleep.
Yeah there does seem to be a bit more angst.
Stay out of it.
Enjoy the informative stuff and learn and improve your photography.
(there is enough angst in the stands at the footy)
03-19-2016, 05:16 AM   #7
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by rod_grant Quote
Is this thread restricted to Aussies?
I'd like one of those. Prerequisite would be a self depreciating, dry sense of humour.

03-19-2016, 05:18 AM - 1 Like   #8
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by pjv Quote
The tone has changed ( IMO ) from a community allowing a free exchange of ideas, to one of being quite aggressive on occasions. Am I being overly sensitive and reading more into what is going on than is actually happening?
If you're talking about all that "storm" around FF, it's normal, imo.
If you have any real question, or issue, and ask question, advice, or help, nothing changed here. It's all the same the most helpful forum.
03-19-2016, 05:49 AM - 2 Likes   #9
Veteran Member

I'm going with "Yes, it's just you!"

Don't worry, be happy.........
03-19-2016, 07:11 AM - 1 Like   #10
csa
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by pjv Quote
Do some of longer serving members feel like they are losing " their " forum to the newbies?
I'd like to think that all of us welcome "newbies" to this forum, and don't consider it "ours", exclusively. All of us started out here as a newbie, so feeling like we are "losing their forum to the newbies", isn't in the tone of what this site is about. Without "newbies"; the site would slowly drift away into the stale state other forums have become.

The arguing and disrespectfulness shown at times, is rather disturbing, but many times, other members step in and handle it and get on with the thread. If any post is disturbing to you, simply flag it to a Moderator for them to take a look and take action if needed.

All in all, this is one of the most friendliness forums I've had the privilege of being a part of. Exceptions? Yes, but if someone is upsetting you, simply use the "ignore" button and continue enjoying these great forums. The thread holding all of us together, very simply is photography with a Pentax in hand; the rest is unimportant.
03-19-2016, 07:29 AM   #11
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by csa Quote
Yes, but if someone is upsetting you, simply use the "ignore" button and continue enjoying these great forums.
Works like a charm
03-19-2016, 07:42 AM - 1 Like   #12
Veteran Member

I have been on for about a year, so I haven't noticed much and only had one weird argument directed towards me that was weirdly silly. Most of the time I move on and only read a tiny amount of posts. Most people here overall are nicer than any other forum I have been on in general and much much nicer than most photography forums. I am on very little photography forums because most are photographers telling you how bad or stupid you are for not doing things their way.

As for argumentative TONE, I have noticed that EVERYWHERE! It may be a much larger generational issue. I have noticed that no one can move on from a perceived "insult" anymore, and don't know how to take constructive criticism or comments, or how to weed out opinions anymore. I have had my own run in on other sites when people have berated me and called me names because I stated I wish a place didn't use nuts (because my daughter has a nut allergy) but that I liked the place overall. I don't know at what point people decided to 'attack' another person for an opinion different from their own, but I would assume if people have become accustomed to it, they don't know how to react in any other way. If other sites let people treat others like crap without moderating, then they think every site is like that. It's a shame really.
03-19-2016, 08:40 AM - 1 Like   #13
Site Supporter

If you stay on here long enough, you may notice that the aggressiveness is cyclic. There are folks here who could start an argument in a phone booth and seem to enjoy riling people up with platitudes and biases, then getting nasty when people dare to disagree. I've come to see it as a hobby engaged in by those who really need more to do with their time.

Everyone else is here to enjoy each other's photography, be encouraging, and share what we know when someone needs help.
03-19-2016, 09:45 AM - 1 Like   #14
Senior Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

As several have pointed out, we see a spike in this when new products are introduced but what I find fascinating is that the arguments seem to stay the same regardless of what the product is.
One of the forum rules says "While we are quite happy to have constructive comparative conversations about competing camera brands, please do not lead 'brand wars' or bash a particular camera manufacturer." yet lately we have seen an increase in brand bashing. The brand being bashed is Pentax. This, understandably, leads to some "spirited" discussions.
When those discussions run afoul of the first forum rule "Although debates and discussions are allowed, we would like to maintain a friendly forum and do not tolerate rudeness, insulting posts, personal attacks or inflammatory posts." moderators step in.
I don't think there's any real newbiephobia. I think it's human nature though, that the membership term or post count of a person has some effect on how a post is perceived; but what is said, and the tone or context in which it's said has more to do with the reaction a post gets.
A newly joined member who makes a post about what a piece of junk his new K-whatever is is going to get a different reaction than a new member that says he can't seem to get his new K-whatever to perform the way he thought it would.
03-19-2016, 06:00 PM - 1 Like   #15
Pentaxian

My advice,avoid the "Good Ole Boys" who won't countenance any opposition to their narrow view of the world without threatening to "fill you in" and you'll be fine
Closed Thread