Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-21-2016, 10:12 AM   #1
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
A stunning number of NFL players who suffer from CTE.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_NFL_players_with_chronic_traumatic_encephalopathy

For those of you who have suffered the effects of a brain concussion (or concussions), you know what a serious matter this is. During my lifetime, I have had seven of them, the latest in 2013 when I had four within a three week period. I had to learn how to talk again. I couldn't form sentences, even thought I knew what words I wanted to say. I just couldn't put them together to form my thoughts. It was so frustrating! I knew what I wanted to say! Why couldn't I put the words together?

I had to learn how to walk all over again. What a miserable thing THAT was! To walk the 37 paces to the mail box and back was a chore that was next to impossible for the first few weeks. But, after several weeks of rehab and the loving care of my daughter, I managed to regain most of my mobility. That's why I now use a monopod on every photographic outing. I'd be lost without it, and not just for steadying my camera!

Having my brain bounced around inside my skull has left me with some very aggravating hand tremors that plays havoc on trying to shoot sharp images.... and for a guy who is obsessed with sharpness, that's a real challenge!

I love football, but I think it's time that the NFL makes a concentrated effort to develop new helmets that offer more protection for the players. The effects of brain concussions do NOT go away. At least not completely. It's a life-long injury that I hope none of you have to deal with.

03-21-2016, 10:38 AM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Dewman Quote
[URL]I love football, but I think it's time that the NFL makes a concentrated effort to develop new helmets that offer more protection for the players. The effects of brain concussions do NOT go away. At least not completely. It's a life-long injury that I hope none of you have to deal with.
It's very likely that it is impossible to design a helmet that can protect a player. Players are simply too big and fast now. It might have been possible when lineman were 240-250 lbs., but now...and they didn't care back then...

This CTE thing is going to be the end of the NFL. There was a poll recently in which more than half of the parents asked said they wouldn't let their kids play football. You are going to see a push for legislation that regulates the amount of hitting for players under a certain age, probably 18. Without young players being developed the talent well will just dry up for college football and the NFL. And this isn't just a problem for American football. Bouncing a 16 oz ball off your head isn't good for young players either...Girls lacrosse has problems with concussions too. Same thing with baseball catchers...
03-21-2016, 03:44 PM   #3
Pentaxian

I never played football. However, I did play organized hockey as a defenceman for about a decade, when I was young. Fortunately I never received a concussion. I do have long term knee problems (operation) and shoulder issues...from body checking and being body checked.

Contact sports are played with a consequence and a price, to participants and I'm going by my experience.
03-21-2016, 06:39 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Maybe they should change the tackling style as well, Rugby has concussions with limited padding but not as much due to rule changes and making some tackle styles illegal. No helmets would certainly change the tacklers style after a few hits. Would never happen but from my view point these are the issues.

Good to hear you have over come some what your own trauma Dewman.

03-21-2016, 06:53 PM   #5
Pentaxian

When my doctor looked at my concussion history, he said "most guys like you don't graduate from high school." But one of my favourite stories was right after a concussion I was put back in the game. (Wouldn't happen these days.) As soon as I came back in (after about 10 minutes of growing around on the sideline) my quarterback called my number. It was to be a dive up the middle. For some reason it came into my head I should go in motion, so on the first count I took off as if for a screen pass. I still remember the look on the quarterback's face when he turned around, and there was not a soul back there behind him. Next time my number was called , he barked out an audible, turned around looked me square in the eye and said "this is to you Norm.".
03-21-2016, 08:07 PM   #6
Lens Hoarder
Loyal Site Supporter

All ball sports are dangerous for girls. They make boys aggressive & uncontrollable.

The St. Louis Cardinals organization coaches its catchers to intentionally NOT defend the plate - to avoid the collisions; they coach a better way to catch and sweep the runner's leg, and they're willing to let (by their estimate) three runs a season score that would have been blocked to protect their catchers from injuries.

Mothers in St. Louis (a soccer hotbed) are saying children shouldn't be allowed to head the ball in soccer. Some people want to ban lacrosse and ice hockey altogether and ban pitching in baseball before age 18.

I played offensive center and outside linebacker in High School football and center striker / center half in soccer (soccer was a winter sport here then). Of course that was the late 60's and early 70's. We were smaller then. I never had a real concussion, but I certainly had some sharp dings to the helmet. We were taught to keep our hands down and our heads up - a head slap was an immediate penalty.

In addition to being bigger (college and professional players have gotten so big their endoskeltons can't carry the lever force of their muscle movements), I think football is taught differently today.

While part of my game playing soccer was 'in the air' (using my head) we were taught to play on the ground, with our feet. Making short, precise passes. We didn't have the long, lofting passes as in today's game. The only time we intentionally played in the air was corner kicks and most of those were played to my head. Even at that, I'll bet I had hard head strikes no more than.a hundred times in 10 years of soccer.

Frankly, EVERY ball sport is dangerous. Every ball sport player starts too early, gets too strong, spends too much time practicing, is under too much pressure and has an infinitesimally small chance to earn any money (aside from partial college scholarships) from all that work. Far better to run or do another aerobic exercise and invest the time in academic pursuits.

But don't rest your laptop on your lap, guys, while you're studying - that leads to testicular cancer.
03-22-2016, 12:58 AM   #7
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
Good Grief! With a man this size, how could you NOT get a concussion trying to stop him? He played Tight End in college and says, if drafted into the NFL, he'd like to play fullback! One thing's for sure, if I'm the running back, I'd LOVE to have him out front, blocking for me!

LaQuan McGowan, 405 pounds, has the size Raiders love - San Jose Mercury News
03-22-2016, 03:04 AM   #8
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I don't buy that helmets will make the difference. If you were driving a vehicle going 35 miles an hour and you rammed into a brick wall 60 times over the course of three hours, even if you were wearing a helmet, odds are your brain would have been bruised up from your head suddenly stopping. Linemen in the NFL, in particular, take this abuse multiple times a game and practice.

I doubt it will be the end of the NFL, but I wouldn't be surprised if some day it ends up like boxing or even MMA -- a cult sport, watched and participated by some, but not with huge following it has now. It is hard when these guys are messed up down the road. Junior Seau was a great player in his day and probably took his own life as a result of these traumas.

03-22-2016, 08:11 AM   #9
Pentaxian

Isn't it widely acknowledged that many of the brain injuries in football came from helmet-to-helmet hits that the players were coached to do? Won't teaching young players to avoid hitting helmet-to-helmet eliminate most of the damaging hits?
03-22-2016, 12:26 PM   #10
Pentaxian

were helmets introduced for protection or as a means to use the head as a battering ram?