Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-10-2016, 01:46 PM   #31
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Presently, my phn is the Samsung S4 Zoom....dual core phn with a 24-240zoom camera with a pointNshoot sensor.Its an ok phn and an OK cam....VERY GOOD to have most of my awake time, I get shots where an ordinary phn cant.

Am considering the Panasonic CM1, a quad core Snapdragon 2.3ghz processor with 2gb ram, 16gb ROM and takes a 128gb card....fixed.Leica lens 28mm F2.8
Its a one inch sensor and everything ive read and watched is pretty darn good.the phones probably as good as the S5-S6 level samsungs with quite a handy camera to have in yr pocket.

04-10-2016, 03:24 PM   #32
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by clockworkrat Quote
Currently on a 10 year old one of these:
Lately I dislike talking on the phone. Smart phones seem silly to me.
My flip phone phone is used mainly for the clock function at work.

Consumer Cellular recently forced us to upgrade to 3G phones as their carrier AT&T discontinued 2G service.
My wife and I both got their senior-friendly Doro models, hers in red and mine in black to avoid confusion.
I had both texting and Internet turned off on mine.

Chris
04-10-2016, 09:51 PM   #33
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by surfar Quote
Am considering the Panasonic CM1, a quad core Snapdragon 2.3ghz processor with 2gb ram, 16gb ROM and takes a 128gb card....fixed.Leica lens 28mm F2.8
Its a one inch sensor and everything ive read and watched is pretty darn good.the phones probably as good as the S5-S6 level samsungs with quite a handy camera to have in yr pocket.
I said years ago that the Q should have been made into a smart phone. Inset pancake lens for normal carry, but interchangeable with the full set of Q lenses.....

The Panasonic CM1 looks interesting. Reviews show good ISO up to 3200....and is still usable up to 6400
04-11-2016, 04:25 PM   #34
Veteran Member

i go the opposite route. If I need a screwdriver, a wrench, and a drill, I buy seperate.

Two waterproof HD cameras ($80 and $150) , a headband cam super small only 2MB resolution, a k5IIs, a camcorder my sister gave me, and an iPhone 6 Plus @$1000. Phone is the only thing I ever really upgrade. It took the place of my tv and my laptop.

04-12-2016, 09:09 AM   #35
Veteran Member

Received Ulefone Power.

Stunning build quality, works out of the box with UK SIM, very smooth OS. Better than my Samsung Note 3, in every way. Honestly cannot fault this thing. £130!!!!
04-12-2016, 10:49 AM   #36
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by condor27596 Quote
i go the opposite route. If I need a screwdriver, a wrench, and a drill, I buy seperate.

Two waterproof HD cameras ($80 and $150) , a headband cam super small only 2MB resolution, a k5IIs, a camcorder my sister gave me, and an iPhone 6 Plus @$1000. Phone is the only thing I ever really upgrade. It took the place of my tv and my laptop.
If you need excellent tools, yeah, getting those items separate is a good idea. If all you need is something decent, a multitool may be all you'll ever need.
04-12-2016, 11:15 AM   #37

I just upgraded from a nexus 5 to a 5x 2 weeks ago, and i must say the camera on that thing is really good. The android experience on a nexus is the best you can have, and with the latest updates, the phone works just perfect. Its not water proof and bulletproof but for the rest, its a pretty unbelievable deal imo

04-12-2016, 11:52 AM   #38
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by MattCard Quote
I just upgraded from a nexus 5 to a 5x 2 weeks ago, and i must say the camera on that thing is really good. The android experience on a nexus is the best you can have, and with the latest updates, the phone works just perfect. Its not water proof and bulletproof but for the rest, its a pretty unbelievable deal imo
I went from the Nexus 5 to the Nexus 6p (same camera in the 5x and 6p) and I agree with you. If you're an Android person, you can't beat the Nexus experience.
04-14-2016, 11:55 PM   #39
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Received my phone yesterday(I'm still posting as if it's thursday). A biiiiiig difference from the zte 665c piece of junk. I'm awaiting the micro sim for it from tracfone. Definitely has more battery life, and a better wifi antenna, plus using wifi doesn't hammer into the battery on this one the way it does on the zte. I also took a few pictures at the lake with it on wed. camera does ISO 50 and in-phone hdr. Has laser autofocus (you can use the laser as a distance meter as well with the app "laser ruler"). It runs android lollipop, and if you know how to access the android easter eggs, this one has flappy droid. As a plus, the 1080p screen makes showing people pictures that I have saved on the microSD a much better experience.
04-15-2016, 04:27 AM   #40

QuoteOriginally posted by Auzzie-Phoenix Quote
Received my phone yesterday(I'm still posting as if it's thursday). A biiiiiig difference from the zte 665c piece of junk. I'm awaiting the micro sim for it from tracfone. Definitely has more battery life, and a better wifi antenna, plus using wifi doesn't hammer into the battery on this one the way it does on the zte. I also took a few pictures at the lake with it on wed. camera does ISO 50 and in-phone hdr. Has laser autofocus (you can use the laser as a distance meter as well with the app "laser ruler"). It runs android lollipop, and if you know how to access the android easter eggs, this one has flappy droid. As a plus, the 1080p screen makes showing people pictures that I have saved on the microSD a much better experience.
I allmost went for this phone but finally choose to stay nexus. It looks like à Nice device, enjoy !
I'll take a look at laser ruler as thé nexus 5x have laser autofocus to thanks
04-15-2016, 02:50 PM   #41
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I have an old Nokia C3 or some such thing, basically I don't use mobile phones, only have one for occasional convenience and emergency, luckily not needed it for emergency. However, Telstra are turning off 2G this December, may need to look at what phones are out there. Maybe see what phone is next from Jolla Jolla ? Unlike
05-23-2016, 01:00 AM   #42
Banned

Meizu, maybe
05-25-2016, 12:44 PM   #43
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

After I retired I had to find a phone for myself. The one I had for my wife was an old flip phone with an even more ancient plan. Since I had an iPhone 5s for work, I got iPhone 5c's for both the wife and I. I stuck with iPhone because I know how to use it and I could help her set hers up. As soon as I let out that mom now had a smart phone and could actually receive text messages her sons and daughter in laws blew up her phone on her. She got really excited about it so now she actually sends a text herself once or twice a week. Getting photos of the grandchildren makes her happy too.

I don't care for the tablet sized phones at all. I almost went just to a flip phone for me, but there a few other useful features on the phone that I use. So far I have loaded exactly zero more apps on either of them. No music loaded either, Can't stand ear buds.
05-25-2016, 01:46 PM   #44
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
All I can say is for a smart phone, 16GB resident memory is useless. Even with an expansion slot, it's not enough to handle software upgrades etc. I've moved as much as I can easily move onto the big memory chip, but now I don't know what to move...maybe half of that is Samsung's fault for putting so much on the OS.

Get at least 32GB and a nice memory card for most apps, music etc.
05-30-2016, 04:20 PM   #45
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Well, long story short, tracfone was tracfone and couldn't get things right after multiple attempts. I went out and bought a t-mobile micro sim and had it activated that morning, to test the phone to see if it was functional or if it was a sim problem. Phone worked fine. Since I don't get t-mobile signal in my area unless I'm at work, I waited until tracfone sent me a new sim... they sent the wrong size. So I blew up. You know I'm angry if I'm willing to drive 19 miles and spend money in a wal-mart of all places. I got an AT&T sim and activated that... didn't even bother trying to transfer my tracfone number, I was so angry. Works just fine. I get a signal pretty much everywhere, I can watch youtube videos without buffering in the middle of the lake in my kayak if I want.

As for the Asus Zenfone 2 Laser, it works just great. Though after a recent android update, it has started getting warm when performing some tasks. Pretty good overall battery life. I could extend it if I allowed the phone to manage the power the way it wants. I've added a ton of useful apps to it, such as bubble level, blitzortung lightning strike monitor, myradar, etc... Definitely worth the $200 pricetag.

Also, dealing with any other company's online support is probably a much better experience than tracfone's support of any type. I've always enjoyed dealing with the t-mobile chat reps, never had a bad one (I've had a t-mobile prepaid since 2003, but I've been stuck in an area without signal for the last 4 years).