Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-26-2016, 06:09 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Your next cell phone?

So my contract is coming up for renewal in a few months so it'll be time for a new phone. I currently have an HTC, which I like a lot except for the camera. I think this is the first time that I really don't see much of an improvement in the new phones on the market.

There are 3 things I would like to have with the camera, but I don't think it's offered in a single phone;
  1. Waterproof and indestructible - something I can leave in the rain or drop ....Samsung has a waterproof camera and the Sonim XP7 you can throw around without worry, but they seems to be pretty standard phones
  2. Video mounted and functional like a go-pro or Ricoh WG-M2. There are a lot of phones with better cameras and video than my current camera, but I'd like to mount it on a helmet and use it like a go-pro.
  3. Satellite messaging - I borrowed a Spot Satellite Messenger when I took 30 kids camping on the side of a mountain a month back. I really liked having the peace of mind knowing I could contact someone out of cell range if I needed to. Doesn't have to be 2 way...just the same functionality of the Spot Messenger but as part of a cell phone. A button to send a text to say we are fine, another to send a text saying there is a problem and we need help but everyone is fine, and another that goes straight to search and rescue with our coordinates.
I have tried searching online but so far am not seeing much of anything interesting for the yet to be released phones. At the very least, I'll look for a better camera.

Is anyone aware of whats coming up that might be worth looking at? Any thoughts on what your next phone will be?

03-26-2016, 06:18 PM   #2
Digitiser of Film
Loyal Site Supporter

I love the sound of what you're looking for, but... a couple of years ago, I'd finally had enough of constantly being contactable / online / connected... I got rid of my Blackberry (I'd had one for years when I was working in the investment banking sector, and company phones for years before that), and for a while I didn't carry a mobile at all. These days, I do carry a mobile - it is the cheapest one I could find on eBay, an Alcatel 10.10 on "pay as you go" funding. It has no e-mail, no games, no smart features... it just makes and receives calls and texts. The only people that have my mobile number are my bank, credit card provider, doctor and my best friend. I get occasional texts from my friend regarding nights out we may have planned, but otherwise... it's silent. Even more so when I switch it off, which is most of the time. It is so very cathartic to only be contactable when I choose That said, what you're looking for does sound very cool... I just don't think I could go back to a single device I was dependent on for multiple functions that allowed people to get hold of me when *they* want to

Last edited by BigMackCam; 03-26-2016 at 06:26 PM.
03-26-2016, 09:15 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Not sure about built in capabilities for #3, though there might be an app for that

For #2, Hit-Case makes a, well, a case, for the iPhone that allows it to be worn similar to a go pro (think chest mount, not helmet...)

And as for #1, Sony's claim to fame is their IP67 (or w/e it is) rating for their smartphones, and Samsung's latest and greatest, the S7, is also dust and weather resistant. A good case will take care of bumps and scraps though.

I just upgraded from a Blackberry Z10 to the Nexus 5X myself.
03-26-2016, 10:50 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by BigMackCam Quote
I love the sound of what you're looking for, but... a couple of years ago, I'd finally had enough of constantly being contactable / online / connected... I got rid of my Blackberry

I just don't think I could go back to a single device I was dependent on for multiple functions that allowed people to get hold of me when *they* want to
I resisted a cell phone for many years keeping a pager instead. There is a difference between leaving a message to call you vs. sending them emails, texts, or calling them. I finally had a client that insisted I have a phone.

I do enjoy the convenience but have enjoyed how free I feel when I've forgotten it at home.

QuoteOriginally posted by dngr Quote
Not sure about built in capabilities for #3, though there might be an app for that

For #2, Hit-Case makes a, well, a case, for the iPhone that allows it to be worn similar to a go pro (think chest mount, not helmet...)
I'll look into it..... Perhaps I'm used to the camera on my phone (M8) and should expect more from the others out there.

QuoteOriginally posted by dngr Quote

And as for #1, Sony's claim to fame is their IP67 (or w/e it is) rating for their smartphones, and Samsung's latest and greatest, the S7, is also dust and weather resistant. A good case will take care of bumps and scraps though.

I just upgraded from a Blackberry Z10 to the Nexus 5X myself.
A good case is always an option.....

I am sensing I might have to just stick to hopes of a better camera on the phone.

For satellite tracking, I've used the Spot gen3, but the InReach Explorer looks pretty good albeit a little more pricey. Both of these are due to a replacement however....

03-28-2016, 03:15 PM   #5
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by SteveM Quote
I resisted a cell phone for many years keeping a pager instead. There is a difference between leaving a message to call you vs. sending them emails, texts, or calling them. I finally had a client that insisted I have a phone.

I do enjoy the convenience but have enjoyed how free I feel when I've forgotten it at home.

I'll look into it..... Perhaps I'm used to the camera on my phone (M8) and should expect more from the others out there.

A good case is always an option.....

I am sensing I might have to just stick to hopes of a better camera on the phone.

For satellite tracking, I've used the Spot gen3, but the InReach Explorer looks pretty good albeit a little more pricey. Both of these are due to a replacement however....
I just bought a Moto G 3rd Gen, and it seems pretty good so far - But, many of the links in emails don't work because they are shown in plain text, and not hyperlinks Actually I think this is not a Motorola problem but something to do with an Apple (Grhh!) related court case in the US.!)
BTW, my Android 5 tablet (Sony XperiaZ, original version)) does not have this issue )
BTW2: a phone with 2MB of RAM works FAR better than one with only 1MB as, with updates which you can't avoid, because this phone regularly shows that > 1Mb of RAM like my version is being used - so that a phone with only 1Mb RAM is continually swopping data to the remaining Rom memory, which slows it down (A LOT).

Last edited by jeallen01; 03-28-2016 at 03:25 PM.
04-07-2016, 09:15 AM   #6
Pentaxian

Late to the smartphone game. Briefly had a flip phone. Got a iPhone3GS for 99 cents plus tax a year or two ago. Recently Bank of America updated their mobile software requiring the phone OS beyond the terminal update for the 3GS, so I swapped it (no charge ) for a iPhone4. Was fine until last week when it decided to only vibrate and not ring.

So, I'm looking at the iPhoneSE because I like the small size, but then I thought if I'm going to spend $500 (for the 64GB version) I might be able to get something much nicer (though larger) for a few hundred more. Thinking about the Samsung S7 Edge, which will have more doodads than I will ever use.
04-07-2016, 01:35 PM   #7
Veteran Member

Idk if there any cellphone who fullfil the #3 requirement, maybe if you contact a satellite company and ask about apps and their cost....

A phone that have some WR was the Xperia Z line, i have one but i hate it, the camera have an ok specs but a 15mm (i believe) perspective that suck for most pictures, today i have a LG G4, nice camera, but still a phone camera, dont have WR.

I believe some MororolaG and Motorola Forte, have WR.

04-08-2016, 08:05 PM   #8
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
My next cellphone has been ordered as of today. It's an Asus Zenfone 2 with the qualcomm snapdragon 615 quadcore in it. It's a phone I'll be able to hop providers with and it has dual sim. All I'm really hoping for is that it's better than my current piece of garbage ZTE 665.
04-08-2016, 10:57 PM   #9
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by SpecialK Quote
Late to the smartphone game. Briefly had a flip phone. Got a iPhone3GS for 99 cents plus tax a year or two ago. Recently Bank of America updated their mobile software requiring the phone OS beyond the terminal update for the 3GS, so I swapped it (no charge ) for a iPhone4. Was fine until last week when it decided to only vibrate and not ring.

So, I'm looking at the iPhoneSE because I like the small size, but then I thought if I'm going to spend $500 (for the 64GB version) I might be able to get something much nicer (though larger) for a few hundred more. Thinking about the Samsung S7 Edge, which will have more doodads than I will ever use.
With terms only 2 years long, I am almost thinking about keeping my phone....but your post reminded me that the vibrating function is starting to make a cow "moo" sound....

QuoteOriginally posted by virusn3t Quote
Idk if there any cellphone who fullfil the #3 requirement, maybe if you contact a satellite company and ask about apps and their cost....

A phone that have some WR was the Xperia Z line, i have one but i hate it, the camera have an ok specs but a 15mm (i believe) perspective that suck for most pictures, today i have a LG G4, nice camera, but still a phone camera, dont have WR.

I believe some MororolaG and Motorola Forte, have WR.
I am thinking about seeing if I can get my provider to let me sign up for another contract based on a DeLorme InReach Explorer. It would add about $15 a month for the monthly subscription fee, and I would have to carry 2 devices which isn't ideal. Technically, you can text message from the Explorer, but the interface is primitive as it expects to connect to your cell phone.

Timely note about your G4, I think being newer it's fine, but the earlier ones have a motherboard issue where they fail and won't boot. My wife has one that just failed. We'll hear back about a replacement as it's not a year old....but she will lose some data. Her email will be fine and I think the photos should have synced to the cloud. We'll see.

QuoteOriginally posted by Auzzie-Phoenix Quote
My next cellphone has been ordered as of today. It's an Asus Zenfone 2 with the qualcomm snapdragon 615 quadcore in it. It's a phone I'll be able to hop providers with and it has dual sim. All I'm really hoping for is that it's better than my current piece of garbage ZTE 665.
I just searched on that phone....very tempting....
04-08-2016, 11:40 PM   #10
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

My next mobile (cell) phone hasn't been invented yet. I tend to keep my phones for a looooong time.
I have only had my present unit (my first smart phone) for a few months.
The smartest thing I use it for is making/receiving calls; and they are infrequent.
(I think I sent a text once and my wife used it for a few pictures while holidaying (because I didn't pack her P&S charger!)

Unless the "moo" sound bothers you, renew the contract for a while.
Despite what a lot of young people think, a phone is a tool not an annually replaceable accessory.
04-08-2016, 11:58 PM   #11
Pentaxian

Well, I ended up with the bottom-level Samsung Galaxy Express (or Go) for $129, plus $30 setup. Runs circles around the old iPhone4, and does all I can imagine needing.

Funny thing, my friend went with me and ended up getting an iPhoneSE - the one I had been thinking about. However, as expected, they were out of black ones, so he ended up with a pinkish "rose" version...

Incidentally I ended up with that Samsung because the cheap HTC ($179) was out of stock, and while the salesman was going to round up my second choice (some LG thing for $289) he took me to the back area of the store and showed me the Samsung.

Oh, I hated the iPhone for the intrusive cheek-dialing problem. The Samsung has a proximity sensor that turns off the screen when it is next to your ear.

Last edited by SpecialK; 04-09-2016 at 09:09 AM.
04-09-2016, 08:24 AM   #12
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by rod_grant Quote
My next mobile (cell) phone hasn't been invented yet. I tend to keep my phones for a looooong time.
I have only had my present unit (my first smart phone) for a few months.
The smartest thing I use it for is making/receiving calls; and they are infrequent.
(I think I sent a text once and my wife used it for a few pictures while holidaying (because I didn't pack her P&S charger!)

Unless the "moo" sound bothers you, renew the contract for a while.
Despite what a lot of young people think, a phone is a tool not an annually replaceable accessory.
I don't really care about the "moo" sound other than the worry it might not last another 2 years. I use my phone a lot for work and have 2 email addresses given to me by work, my personal email address, an email address given to me by the volunteer group I work with and my photography site's email. It's crazy.....to the point where it feels quite liberating when I forget to bring it with me.

Well, I ended up with the bottom-level Samsung Galaxy Express (or Go) for $129, plus $30 setup. Runs circles around the old iPhone4, and does all I can imagine needing.

Funny thing, my friend went with me and ended up getting an iPhoneSE - the one I had been thinking about. However, as expected, they were out of black ones, so he ended up with a pinkish "rose" version...

Incidentally I ended up with that Samsung because the cheap HTC ($179) was out of stock, and while the salesman was going to round up my second choice (some LG thing for $289) he took me to the back area of the store and showed me the Samsung.
I'm onto my 3rd HTC phone and quite like them. I like the metal build and the tweaks to the UI. I also like the fact that they give out developer accounts that allow you to generate the key to break into it so I can lock it down. The new version of Android allows you to lock down things a bit, but it's not enough. It annoys me that a game of solitaire needs to read all of my contact information and crawls through my text messages and photos....

I searched a bit more last night and HTC has the M10 coming out that is rumoured to have the best camera available on a phone so far, would be waterproof and would have wireless charging. Those features would be handy. I don't know when it would start to ship to the Canadian market and would want to wait a bit from the price to drop. I have to wait a couple of months for my contract to end anyways......
04-09-2016, 08:57 AM   #13
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I've owned cell phones as far back as when they were the size of a brick!
After many, many models, I've settled with Samsung Galaxy models (several species of them)and my latest is the S5.
What I will be looking for, if ever available, is:
1. waterproof
2. smaller format than those huge S6-7 and the newest iPhones.
3. un-scratch able screen
4. long battery life -- at least 3 days on a charge
5. excellent WiFi and network connection (our region is sometimes at the mercy of the providers here)

Other than that, it is after all a "phone" so it needs to have clear reception when we actually use it as a "phone".

JP
04-09-2016, 02:23 PM   #14
Veteran Member

Having lost the Note 3 last week and, having looked at the brutal costs for a two year contract with the Note 5 or any other branded phablets, I've got a factory unlocked Ulephone Power arriving from China on Tuesday. £130!!! Rather that than the £650 branded phones.

Now I'm on SIM only and saving about £450 a year in cell phone costs!

Last edited by HopelessTogger; 04-09-2016 at 02:39 PM.
04-09-2016, 09:38 PM   #15
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by jpzk Quote
I've owned cell phones as far back as when they were the size of a brick!
After many, many models, I've settled with Samsung Galaxy models (several species of them)and my latest is the S5.
What I will be looking for, if ever available, is:
1. waterproof
2. smaller format than those huge S6-7 and the newest iPhones.
3. un-scratch able screen
4. long battery life -- at least 3 days on a charge
5. excellent WiFi and network connection (our region is sometimes at the mercy of the providers here)

Other than that, it is after all a "phone" so it needs to have clear reception when we actually use it as a "phone".

JP
I hear you about the waterproofing. I went Kayaking today and the kayak has a cell phone mount which presumes the phone is waterproof.

QuoteOriginally posted by HopelessTogger Quote
Having lost the Note 3 last week and, having looked at the brutal costs for a two year contract with the Note 5 or any other branded phablets, I've got a factory unlocked Ulephone Power arriving from China on Tuesday. £130!!! Rather that than the £650 branded phones.

Now I'm on SIM only and saving about £450 a year in cell phone costs!
Hmmm..that looks very interesting. Right now the plan is geared to providing a new phone every 2 years (which you pay for over the life of the contract). I am locked into a corporate plan so there isn't much flexibility, but it's definitely worth looking into.