Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Closed Thread
Show Printable Version 5 Likes Search this Thread
03-27-2016, 05:03 PM   #1
Veteran Member

what's the deal with pentaxians

i've been on these boards for a while, and now with the promise of the k1, i've noticed something resonating on these boards that has me scratching my head.

the general feeling i've found from most of the users here is that they love pentax because it's the underdog, it's not the most common camera you see being used, and that there is a sense of pride that comes with being the guy with the pentax neck strap among a sea of canikon users.

so how come it seems that EVERYONE is talking about how the K1 is going to be a game changer for pentax and that it will break pentax into the market and increase its market share. HOOORAY?!

isn't this the EXACT opposite of what you'd want? do you want pentax to join the canikon group? canikontax? really? how many people hope that pentax keeps its cult following and stays away from the status quo? and how many others just want to seek redemption for their unorthodox choices and just want to rub it in the faces of canikon users?

i just find it strange that there seems to be so much hypocrisy with regards to this topic. what gives?

03-27-2016, 05:09 PM - 2 Likes   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
... "hyporcrisy"? Strong word. I like Pentax for a lot of reasons. My hope is that the K-1 brings more professional photographers or folks that are interested in spending money beyond the kit lens that comes with their new camera body. That's really what excites me the most, personally, about the K-1; another great Pentax body that's sufficiently different from their APS-C offerings to get us more lens options from companies that have backed away from the K-mount in recent years.

My advice is to not overthink this.
03-27-2016, 05:13 PM   #3
Closed Account

Photos: Gallery
I'm not touching this one with a 10 foot pole !!!
03-27-2016, 05:14 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Original Poster
just stirring the pot. don't mind me :P

@pres589

you don't think it's hypocritical to wish that the brand you love for being lesser chosen becomes the #1 choice? do you want to jeer for being an early adopter? it doesn't add up as far as i can see it.

03-27-2016, 05:15 PM   #5
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by pjv Quote
Yep, you're in a metric country. It'd be a 3 metre pole
03-27-2016, 05:24 PM - 1 Like   #6
csa
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by wibbly Quote
so how come it seems that EVERYONE is talking about how the K1 is going to be a game changer for pentax and that it will break pentax into the market and increase its market share. HOOORAY?!
EVERYONE? I must have missed that memo!
03-27-2016, 05:28 PM   #7
Closed Account

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by bertwert Quote
Yep, you're in a metric country. It'd be a 3 metre pole

I really think I know how to word my posts !!!

03-27-2016, 05:30 PM   #8
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by pjv Quote
Swim with sharks and . . .

not me, either.
03-27-2016, 05:41 PM - 1 Like   #9

QuoteOriginally posted by wibbly Quote
i've been on these boards for a while, and now with the promise of the k1, i've noticed something resonating on these boards that has me scratching my head.

the general feeling i've found from most of the users here is that they love pentax because it's the underdog, it's not the most common camera you see being used, and that there is a sense of pride that comes with being the guy with the pentax neck strap among a sea of canikon users.

isn't this the EXACT opposite of what you'd want? do you want pentax to join the canikon group? canikontax? really? how many people hope that pentax keeps its cult following and stays away from the status quo? and how many others just want to seek redemption for their unorthodox choices and just want to rub it in the faces of canikon users?

i just find it strange that there seems to be so much hypocrisy with regards to this topic. what gives?
You root for the plucky underdogs to win, not to stay plucky underdogs. In this case winning means more camera sales, more lens sales, and greater influence over the industry. I think Pentax is a strong enough brand not to rest on its laurels should they gain considerable market share.
03-27-2016, 05:44 PM - 1 Like   #10
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
OK-in for ONE:

You misunderstand somewhat. We enjoy Pentax being different, which of itself does not preclude being bigger.
03-27-2016, 05:55 PM   #11
Veteran Member

Original Poster
is it a hidden gem if everyone knows about it?
Closed Thread