Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 1 Like Search this Thread
04-08-2016, 06:00 PM   #16
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Lenovo's Thinkpad laptops have the best keyboards and the T and W series have pretty good touchpads as well (along with their famous "rubber nub-stick"). For something smaller, I bought a 12.5 inch X230, I don't like the chiclet keys on it as much as the larger keys on a traditional Lenovo keyboard, but it's still a quantum leap over other netbooks. Thinkpads are also the best built laptops you can buy. The Yoga line isn't the same quality, but is better than average for the money and if you really need a tablet (without giving up having a real computer running it), it can't be beat for versatility.

04-08-2016, 07:20 PM   #17
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by RGlasel Quote
Thinkpads are also the best built laptops you can buy
That is an interesting assertion. The organisation I work for had about 30000 Lenovo Think Pads distributed to staff - 25% screen connector ribbon failure rate over the life of the device drove local distributor to the wall.

Organisation now supplies Dells and Acers.
04-08-2016, 07:27 PM - 1 Like   #18

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Quartermaster James Quote
That's missing the 10-key though.
the gt80 titan has a numpad combined with the touchpad :S not ideal though since it lacks physical keys... kinda ruins the point :\ they should've put a physical numpad where the touchpad is, making it a membrane-key if they need the rest of the depth for hardware, then move the touchpad to a position somewhere above the keyboard :S (since the keyboard has to be positioned at the front due to its depth). kinda silly design since a right side touchpad alienates left hand mousers. I mean a lot of users are just going to use a mouse...
04-08-2016, 07:37 PM   #19
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Arjay Bee Quote
That is an interesting assertion. The organisation I work for had about 30000 Lenovo Think Pads distributed to staff - 25% screen connector ribbon failure rate over the life of the device drove local distributor to the wall.

Organisation now supplies Dells and Acers.
My organization had similar experience with a similar number of Lenovo laptops. Damned shame. I bought mine from the recycler to use as a home stationary machine with external monitors.

04-08-2016, 08:44 PM   #20
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Arjay Bee Quote
That is an interesting assertion.
I'll admit it is primarily based on my personal experience. I purchased an IdeaPad for my daughter six years ago, it bit the biscuit two months ago due to a power supply problem on the motherboard, my son's T-510 is five years old and still going strong. Of the six or seven laptops provided to me by employers since '97, a T-40 was the only one I was impressed with enough to keep using once the lease was up. The X230 I take on the road with me as my personal device has been knocked off tables and counters numerous times, it's never needed service. HP Elitebooks are standard issue with my employer, but IT buys themselves Thinkpads. To the original question, Thinkpads have had excellent keyboards; if you actually have to do work with your laptop, that's a pretty important feature. As the kids like to say, YMMV.
04-10-2016, 06:05 AM   #21
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by bertwert Quote
One thing I'll say:
I have NEVER found a laptop with a keyboard I liked. (I often go through stores and type on laptops randomly)
I've always used some an external keyboard.
And I dislike most external keyboards... only the laptop style ones are acceptable to me. It's a shame, because I also like ergonomic keyboards, but the Microsoft ones have too much key travel.

You're probably most flexible by going tablet and getting a keyboard for that, however it should be Bluetooth so you don't lose precious ports, and that will most probably limit you to small, portable, laptop style batteries.

Generally speaking Lenovo ThinkPad laptops have some of the best keyboards, but if you don't like keyboards with (relatively) little travel, you're screwed.