Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 1 Like Search this Thread
04-02-2016, 03:37 PM   #1
Veteran Member

!!WARNING!! Possible Scam targetting iPhones and Pentaxforums.com mobile site

Since I don't see any kind of promotion on "this" site I'm pretty sure this is scam and just wanted to give everyone a heads up. When I went to pentaxforums.com site with my iPhone I got these pop-ups (screenshots below). I played along and answered three multiple answer questions - 1) How long have you been with T-Mobile? 2) Is your monthly bill over/Under $100, 3) Do you have unpaid T-Mobile bill? After answering the questions, I got presented with the following screenshots. That’s as far as I wanted to go and didn’t click the “Reserve Now” button. It looks like a Facebook page. I’m fairly certain the commenters are fake since the timeline of their comments shows “just now”. Those commenters are the same ones that came up when I saw the scheme an hour or so ago – they were “just now” back then. The web address shows "S3.Amazonaws.com"? It follows my phones IP address because the questions at first was for T-Mobile when I was out and about. When I got home the questions changed for my ISP provider. It’s probably just a huge coincidence but I got presented with the scheme right after upgrading to IOS 9.3.1 this morning.

P.S. Looks like Facebook has issued a warning for a similar scam: https://www.facebook.com/ipadgiveawayWarning/

Attached Images

04-02-2016, 05:04 PM   #2
Veteran Member

SCAM SCAM SCAM

Must be from one of the ads.

@Adam you should take a look.
04-02-2016, 05:25 PM   #3
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
The OP's PMed me about this, but I have no way of identifying the advertiser without seeing an actual screenshot here on PF. It's certainly not someone with whom we work directly. I'm betting that it's a simple google ad with branding based on the domain of the originating click. A lot of people set up these sorts of "free offer" sites to ultimately acquire your personal information (e-mail, address, phone) for marketing purposes than trying to indirectly sell you an iphone.

In any case, these sorts of offers can be found everyone, so be wary! Even if you provide them with an e-mail address, they've already won

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
04-02-2016, 06:54 PM - 1 Like   #4

It could be browser related. I have had pop up trying to take over several times lately. I suspect it just grabs what ever web site is open when it launches. Try closing the pages in your browser, clear the history, close the browser and shut down your phone. When you restart it will probably go away. At least with iPhone.

04-02-2016, 07:34 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Original Poster
It probably is, I'm using Safari if that matters. I have a PF tile on frequently visited shortcuts on iPhone that I've been using. It pulled up PF site for about a second then the "fake" site came up. The back button was greyed so there was no option to go back to PF site and there was only one browser up so I'm assuming it was a redirect as opposed to a pop-up browser. I did closed Safari but didn't clear the history. When I clicked on the PF tile it happened again. I got to PF site without issues when I typed in pentaxforums.com manually.
04-02-2016, 08:01 PM   #6

Try clearing all history and shutting down your phone. Or at least delegating the title and creating a new one.
04-02-2016, 09:00 PM   #7
Veteran Member

Original Poster
It hasn't come up again but I did as you suggested anyway just to make sure. Thanks for the info.

04-02-2016, 09:12 PM   #8
Veteran Member

I use Tapatalk for this site, theres only some ads for the app but nothing really big... For everyday browsing i use Mozilla for Androind with Ublock Origin, so far very few ads on the browser