Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-05-2016, 05:42 PM   #1
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Wdw 2016

Walt Disney World. This has been the first time ever I have been anywhere during " spring break".

I usually go to Florida for juky 4th week and first week of August. Here is what I learned this year. Since I love Florida at 95-100f I naturally thought everyone else does too. But it seems 99 percent of the people like it 80-85f. That 99 percent showed up last week. From opening bell to closing gate the place was like a Japanese subway.

Other than that: our last overnight stay at South of the Border ( daughter has outgrown it) and probably next to last trip to Dinosaur World. Typhoon lagoon delivered especially on the day it poured rain and only 50 people were there. Blizzard Beach. ( we get year passes come and go at will).

Found a new thing. Lion Country Safari. The animals run loose you drive the car. Very cool.

Starting a new job so this July 4 we will take the overnight train there and back.

Lots of video. Not that many photos. Lost my carbon fiber tripod.

Just thought I would share and to give the people ideas.

---------- Post added 04-05-16 at 09:09 PM ----------

I forgot to say: the cream of the trip. Swimming with sharks ( 4 times) at typhoon lagoon ( I assume being Disney they are trained to not bite).

We camped onsite at lion country safari ( where I lost my tripod) but being onsite we woke up to the lions roaring. So incredible as to defy the typing fingers.

04-05-2016, 06:48 PM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
The only remaining "slower" time (no longer a slow time) is from Labor day to the beginning of the Food and Wine festival the last weekend of September, Early November and Mid January...the last two could require Winter coats or atleast jackets at night.

With all the construction beginning at Hollywood Studios. (Star Wars and Toy Story Land) and Pandora at Animal Kingdom I may have to take a break from my normal late September trip this year. And for all the onsite perks without the cost, a tent site at Fort Wilderness Resort is less than 60 bucks a night that time of year, even the tent sites have Cable TV, Internet and Water...
04-05-2016, 07:18 PM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
That is great advice. I have to motor around school and custody. And again, I actually prefer 100 F.

But putting it in perspective. Last July 4, we rode 25 rides ( obvious duplicates). Haunted mansion 9 times. It's a small world 4. Jungle cruise 2. Portraits with all the characters. After 9 pm it was run from the exit to the entrance.

Spring break this year. At 11 pm 65 minute wait to it's a small world. 90 minute wait to haunted mansion. All characters 2 plus hour wait.

For three years my Christmas calendars have two months devoted to Disney character portraits. This year it is an honorable mention.

The only more crowded place I have ever been was the trains in Osaka Japan.

It's doubtful I ever go to Florida in the cold. If I want cold I can just open my door here for free lol.

---------- Post added 04-05-16 at 10:27 PM ----------

Also we are not campers. We stay in a water park hotel ( not upscale, about $85 a night). Has slides lazy river etc. shows children's movies at night. The back up hotel is 5 miles from Disney nice pool and hot tub at $50 a night.

Generally speaking I spend about $1400 for 9 days of non stop action adventure. That price is for two. I actually do not save to go off season or camp.

I would like to camp once at fort de soto beach. I like that beach. That means I have to drive and take a tent.

I am toying with the idea of taking the sleeper train even if I stay 9 days and just call uber for rides. $150 in gas can buy some uber rides if you only go 5 miles each time.

Plus the stress of driving....