Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-24-2016, 01:56 AM   #16
Digitiser of Film
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Kerrowdown Quote
I don't need to say too much, everyone here seems to already know about my wee beastie...
I'm not quite sure how to interpret that!!

04-24-2016, 02:05 AM - 1 Like   #17
PEG Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: Highlands of Scotland... "Hold Infinity in the palm of your hand" - William Blake
Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by BigMackCam Quote
I'm not quite sure how to interpret that!!
Might I suggest with extreme care.
04-24-2016, 02:10 AM   #18
PJ1
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
everyone here seems to already know about my wee beastie
There was some earlier talk about the lack of good photographic evidence for such things, but we don't want the thread closed by the moderators.....
04-24-2016, 02:24 AM   #19
PEG Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: Highlands of Scotland... "Hold Infinity in the palm of your hand" - William Blake
QuoteOriginally posted by PJ1 Quote
but we don't want the thread closed by the moderators.....
Don't panic the Mods are already here.

04-24-2016, 05:14 AM   #20
Forum Member

We have in Cornwall the Knockers who are a sort of pixie that spend their time mining. If you are underground and the drills stop, in the silence you can here the Knockers in the distance.
04-24-2016, 06:45 AM   #21
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by lesmore49 Quote
I live in a Canadian province that has massive, dense boreal forests. Our prov. govt. maintains we have over 110,000 lakes and having flown over parts of the Boreal forest out here, I can well believe it. Huge expanses of forest, very little human habitation in those forests.

Mythical creatures....yes....over the years, centuries even, there have been regular reports of Sasquatch, or Bigfoot as it sometimes is more commonly known. Mostly in the Boreal forest area of my province.

Am I a believer ? Well so far, no. I haven't seen any.

Out here, I have seen wolves, black bear (many) and wolverine (1).

We do have cougar, Polar Bear, Barren Grizzly Bear....which I haven't seen, as of yet.
You're in BC (IIRC) and you haven't seen grizzly or cougar?

I don't need to say too much, everyone here seems to already know about my wee beastie...
04-24-2016, 08:04 AM   #22
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by bertwert Quote
You're in BC (IIRC) and you haven't seen grizzly or cougar?

I'm in Manitoba.

In Manitoba, we do have Cougars, but they're very rare out here and the thought is that most of them wander up from the Dakotas. Although there is some speculation that there maybe some, established breeding pairs in Manitoba.

We did have the Plains Grizzly in southern Manitoba, but they pretty well disappeared by the 1880's.

In northern Manitoba, the Barren Ground Grizzly is starting to make a comeback. The thought is that the Barren Ground Grizzly is starting to migrate from the Territories to northern Mb.

There have been instances of hybrid bears up north...where Barren Ground Grizzlies and Polar Bears have apparently mated.

As far as Sasquatch is concerned, no definitive proof yet, but again a number of reports, particularly from the vast, relatively uninhabited forests in both Manitoba and adjoining, NW Ontario.

04-24-2016, 08:24 AM   #23
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by lesmore49 Quote
I'm in Manitoba.
For some reason I thought BC...

Also I wouldn't consider Manitoba 'Western Canada', I'd consider it 'Middle Canada'...
04-24-2016, 08:26 AM   #24
Veteran Member
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan

Here we have the Devil Squirrel.....it's reason enough not to go out late at night.

04-24-2016, 08:27 AM   #25
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Rupert Quote
Here we have the Devil Squirrel.....it's reason enough not to go out late at night.
04-24-2016, 09:23 AM   #26
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by bertwert Quote
For some reason I thought BC...

Also I wouldn't consider Manitoba 'Western Canada', I'd consider it 'Middle Canada'...
You are incorrect.

Manitoba is a prairie province. The prairie provinces, Alberta, Saskatchewan and Manitoba are in western Canada. along with British Columbia.

Eastern Canada starts at the Manitoba- Ontario border.
06-18-2016, 09:47 AM   #27
Veteran Member

We have all kinds of critters here in Mayberry
North Carolina Ghost Stories and Legends
06-18-2016, 10:17 AM - 1 Like   #28
Pentaxian

In the nearby Lake Champlain area we have 2 well know "monster" legends.

First is Champ, the monster who is seen occasionally in the waters of the lake. Besides the occasional news story, there have been actual scientific searches in the lake for years. While not actually finding a living monster, they did find the skeleton of a beluga whale along the lake shore. Sonar monitoring has picked up whale calls in the lake. It's now believed by many that the whales come into the lake from the St. Lawrence (where they are regularly spotted) in years when the water is high and end up getting trapped. The legend of Champ being a prehistoric monster of some type is still exploited by the tourist industry.

Second is also in the Lake Champlain area. In the town of Whitehall, on the southern end of the lake, two police officers and several residents had a Bigfoot encounter years back. The local police actually spotted it and chased it but lost sight of it in the woods. It never was spotted again. This was also well covered in the news.

There is currently a big argument throughout the Adirondacks about the existence of wolves and mountain lions in the region. DEC denies that they inhabit the area. The lion sightings are blamed on mistaken identity but are now becoming common. Lynx and Bobcats do not have long tails. A gray wolf was hit and killed by a car last year in the southern Adirondacks. It was hard to deny that one but DEC says it was likely a stray that wandered south from Canada.
06-21-2016, 08:36 PM   #29
Veteran Member

They are still arguing about wolves? When I went to school in NY I saw one up close and personal. Scared the (insert explicative here) out of me . that was back in the late 70's early 80's.
06-22-2016, 06:34 PM   #30
Pentaxian

Yes, they are. DEC now admits that there may be a few wolves wandering the Adirondacks but still denies that they have become "established" and also deny the rumor that the wolves that are turning up were stocked as part of a state program. There is also a scary hybrid now in the northeast which is a strain of eastern wolf from Canada that has successfully bred with coyotes. These critters are all over and can also breed with some dogs. They are a nuisance to farmers and larger and more aggressive than run of the mill coyotes. Still, your chances of ever seeing any of these animals is very slim. You may hear them from time to time. Best bet to find them isn't in the wilderness but in a village or town after dark on trash day.